Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Screwing
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Screwing Reply with quote

Interesting history of screws. I like Robertson square drive screws myself.

Link

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

Damn , i thought this thread would be more vivid.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

I was a fan if Torx and then they went and made Torx Plus muddying the waters, not so much a fan now.

Triple squares are still fine though!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

i loathe JIS screws.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

Definitely not what I thought when I clicked on this thread.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

Got your attention didn't he?!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

very interesting. I knew about the robertson square drive screws but the article I read said that ford favoured phillips screws so they were awarded the contract. whereas this guy says robertson wouldn't agree to the deal...
people believe the products around them are the best they can get but usually it's down to marketing, patent control etc. I'm sure the robertson square drive would be less prone to 'coning out' like stubborn phillips do.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

finster wrote:
the article I read said that ford favoured phillips screws so they were awarded the contract. whereas this guy says robertson wouldn't agree to the deal...

Don't know; I'd always been under the impression that Ford felt Robertson square drive was technically better, but was cheaper for Ford to go with Phillips. Too bad.

I've been using Robertson square drive as "theft-deterrent" screws for a couple of decades for stuff like stereo installations and tailgate hinges for a couple of decades.So if you try to steal something of mine you have to deal with those. And this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I was a fan if Torx and then they went and made Torx Plus muddying the waters, not so much a fan now.

Dave

In the construction world, Torx has become King. I love them for decks and such.

Will never use Phillips (except for drywall) or Robertson again unless I absolutely have no choice.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Link

I watched that video a couple weeks ago, the History Guy makes an excellent series of videos, watch them all!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

In the construction world, Torx has become King. I love them for decks and such.

Will never use Phillips (except for drywall) or Robertson again unless I absolutely have no choice.

And they come in different colors of brown and grey!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Just like the vast acres of tract housing spreading across this great land.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
finster wrote:
the article I read said that ford favoured phillips screws so they were awarded the contract. whereas this guy says robertson wouldn't agree to the deal...

Don't know; I'd always been under the impression that Ford felt Robertson square drive was technically better, but was cheaper for Ford to go with Phillips. Too bad.

I've been using Robertson square drive as "theft-deterrent" screws for a couple of decades for stuff like stereo installations and tailgate hinges for a couple of decades.So if you try to steal something of mine you have to deal with those. And this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am surprised how short your gun is. But I suppose its how you use it!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

Robertson screws are very common, if not the most common screw used in Canada, most everyone keeps a black, red, green and yellow (handled) screwdrivers in their toolboxes. Red and green the most common. The colour represents the size.

When working on a job, it is usual to here someone ask for a Red (or whatever colour). "Hand me a Red!"

The Robertson screws are usually used for wood or electric work.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

Back in the day when I was employed by the school district we used the square drive. The high schoolers could not steel anything.
Torx does work great in the construction field.
What is a Torx Plus??? Could it be what IBM used on the early PC cases?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Just like the vast acres of tract housing spreading across this great land.
black and white, gold kinda like the rianbow Im told....Ive probably bought over $500 of them agreavating griprite torx screws this year alone... about 5% dont fit the torx bits and the torx bits they supply are usualy shit... and now they have new screws that have thread rippers on them so you can screw 40% longer!!!! befor your battery is wore out!! but it cums at a cost..there are no threads left in the boards so they will not pull togeather tight and will pull appart eazely....so.....what is the reason for screwing them>????? fucking morons. yes I do a lot of screwing. hear and abroad Shocked Wink Rolling Eyes boy cot grip right screws!!!! get on thier site and mf them till that make good screws again!!!!!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Link

Mr. Bow tie is cute but he doesn’t have all the facts straight. To begin with Phillips is a trade name like Chanel when referring to slip joint pliers. Crescent when referring to adjustable wrench. There are other examples as well but the trade names refer to who holds the patent. In his brief discussion example G has a three wing or so called tri wing design and was widely used in aircraft manufacturing. We hated these and replaced with cross tip fasteners which is the correct nomenclature for what civilians would call Phillips.

Most will never see it but Boeing,Douglas,Lockheed,Airbus uses thousands of screws requiring mechanics to become well versed in working with these little gems. The problem of camming out can be greatly reduced by dipping the screwdriver tip into fine valve grinding compound, it works. We wore carpenter aprons full of screws using air operated screwdrivers till they got too hot to handle. Very Happy

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

Torx Plus.....is a Torx screw that has a cavity that is somewhere between an allen and a Torx screw.....and no....its not so you can use either driver.....and no its not "muddying" the water.

The torx plus can stand a shit ton more force before stripping or cam-out.....compared to the regular torx. In smaller screws say below 8mm....Im not 100% sold that the amount of leverage/torque improvement is that noticable......but on large bolts......its a BIG difference.

The bolts that hold the front and rear wheel bearing housings onto warercooled VW from at least the middle of Mk6 forward are a Torx plus variant. They have gotten rid of the triple spline.
Ray
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

DeckMate screws changed to Torx from a combination Robertson-Phillips type bit a few years ago. I like the Torx ones better.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing Reply with quote

I've never, ever seen robertson screws this side of the pond, glad to hear they're still around.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: