Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original headlights for 1967 Beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the original headlights provided with a 1967 beetle (as I would like to see about getting NOS or good shape originals).

Would they have been Hella SB12s (same as inner and outer rings). Or would Bosch been involved? What markings may have been on the headliggts themselves? H4 marking would have been later, or would that have been on the headlight (to signify the connection type)?

Thanks!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

I've had several bugs and all headlamp assemblies have been Hella. For '67, the headlight doors (outer trim rings) might be stamped "SB12" at the top, but not always.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

My (Aug. 66) 67 beetle has the original headlight assemblies. The doors are marked SB12 on the top of the door.
The stainless headlight retaining ring behind the door is also stamped SB12.

Finding a good condition SB12 door is a challenge. I have been looking for a spare for a couple of years. And have had no success to date.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
My (Aug. 66) 67 beetle has the original headlight assemblies. The doors are marked SB12 on the top of the door.
The stainless headlight retaining ring behind the door is also stamped SB12.

Finding a good condition SB12 door is a challenge. I have been looking for a spare for a couple of years. And have had no success to date.

Good Luck.

Yes, all of the inner assemblies had the corresponding number ink-stamped, along with the Hella logo. Nice to have the SB12 stamp on the trim ring, as they are regarded as "desirable" by '67 enthusiasts. My Lotus White "67 that I bought from the widow of the original owner had non-stamped trim rings. The Zenith Blue I bought from the widower of the original owner had them. I swapped them onto my white car before I sold the blue car Anxious .

But both styles are correct for '67.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

So, I *believe* the sealed beam headlights attach to the inner rings, which attach to the outer rings (for adjustment purposes), and those, in turn, are attched to the buckets. Is this correct?

I'm interested in what the original headlights themselves looked like (66+), rather than the assemblies. Were they Hella, also with SB 12 on the glass? Is H4 on the glass, to signify the connector/prong type? Is there any boot around the prongs, themselves?

My current headlights say Westinghouse, I believe, instead of Hella. So, I was interested in what would have come from the factory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

This website is one any air cooled VW owner needs to dig thru:

http://www.oacdp.org/

The 1965 "Damage Numbers" manual is a great source of manufactures of VW parts.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

OEM Hella sb12, I dont know what the actual headlight itself was, this is the part number for the buckets. The part number for the outside bezels is 311.941.175 A

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by TheRide on Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Looking at the docement, it does seem to confirm Bosch, Hella, and another (I don't recognize one of the symbols) have provided headlights over the years. I'm wondering what markings might be on an original headlight for my 67 Beetle to identify it. Would Hella headlights also have had "sb 12" embossed on the glass, for example?
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
Would Hella headlights also have had "sb 12" embossed on the glass, for example?

Great question, I have no idea but I would like to know also!
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256833
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

The sealed beam headlamp units on my '67s were all Westinghouse. The only bulbs I have ever seen in any of all my VWs were Westinghouse, GE and TS. I would be surprised if Hella actually made sealed beam bulbs, as I have never heard of them in all my years of VW-ing.

Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
Thanks for the link. Looking at the docement, it does seem to confirm Bosch, Hella, and another (I don't recognize one of the symbols) have provided headlights over the years. I'm wondering what markings might be on an original headlight for my 67 Beetle to identify it. Would Hella headlights also have had "sb 12" embossed on the glass, for example?

That document has the Bosch logo twice. Why? I'm not sure but the top logo that i believe you didn't recognize is also Bosch

As for the Hella headlights also having the sb12 on the glass I doubt it but it's entirely possible seeing as they had the SBxx on other lenses. I'm sure you already know but if someone out there doesn't the SB stands for Sealed Beam.

Now Harry, if you REALLY want to geek out Smile Hella date coded their parts just as Bosch did.
If you want to find October of '66 headlights you're looking for a code around C40. 40 being the 40th week of the year and C being '66. A=64, b=65 and so on...

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

Ha ha - thanks, you guys... you really are a fount of lnowledge! Jos - you were right, the Bosch symbol sideways threw me on the damage numbers document - thanks for posting the picture. Thanks for sharing about your lenses, 67 Florida Deluxe!
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

Those lenses are 66 below and not used on 67s?
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Original headlights for 1967 Beetle? Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Those lenses are 66 below and not used on 67s?

Yes, you are correct (at least for the US), and I think Jos was showing them as an "example" of how Hella stamps their glass - not an actual example of a 67 Sealed Beam Hella headlight (which folks appear to doubt may exist).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: