Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanadaGhiadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

On my 1962 Ghia coupe I removed the bumpers to have them ready to be re-chromed and noticed I have a mismatch of overriders. One overrider (guard) from the front & rear bumpers is definitely steel and the remaining three appear to be poor quality pot metal and/or aluminum. I would not suspect this mismatch could be original stock and likely the PO replaced those..maybe.

According to the chrome shop they may have an issue rechroming if pot metal and aluminum is not a concern.

Would anyone know from the below photos if these non-steel overriders are stock and I'm assuming they would are aluminum?

Steel overrider on the left- non-steel overrider on the rt
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steel overrider on the left- non-steel overrider on the rt

Backside of steel overrider

Backside of the non-steel overrider

Lars Neuffer find in the forums: Not sure what the material is as per the below?
[
img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1979381.jpg[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanadaGhiadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

Lars Neuffer find in the forums: Not sure what the material is as per the below?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Viktor Cz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

According to Neuffer catalog (and my picture) it looks like the ‘non’ steel is the correct one if your car is a -62.

Karmann Ghia coupe 1966
VW ID.4 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanadaGhiadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

Thanks Viktor for the reply..

Still have a few questions:

1. Were the bumper overriders manufactured and installed up to 1962 aluminum or pot metal?

2. Since VW only manufactured the non-steel bumper overriders up to 1962 and switched over to steel, do you think a 62 Ghia could have both types of overriders installed at the factory?
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

CanadaGhiadude wrote:
Thanks Viktor for the reply..

Still have a few questions:

1. Were the bumper overriders manufactured and installed up to 1962 aluminum or pot metal?
They were made in the same material as the door handles which I guess is called "pot metal". It´s not aluminium anyway. And I know...they are hard to chrome since the material leak gases and could cause air bubbles in the chrome.

2. Since VW only manufactured the non-steel bumper overriders up to 1962 and switched over to steel, do you think a 62 Ghia could have both types of overriders installed at the factory?[/quote] I would say no. One of your overriders is most certainly changed sometime over the years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanadaGhiadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

Well the bumpers are over at the rechroming shop so will see what the manager comes back with on the cost and hopefully not an issue with pot metal overriders..

Any other comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.
CanadaGhiadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

According to the plating company I shipped my bumpers to for re-chroming, the overriders as shown in the photos above are NOT pot metal but they are aluminum hence not an issue with chroming.

The insane quote I received for re-chroming complete both the rear and front bumpers is $2000cdn/$1500usd/1360euro.

Now the dilemma of either coughing up the $2k for the re-chroming.. sticking with the solid original bumpers or go with the $1k SS OEM from Vietnam!
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

Not a bad price for the rechrome. Lots of pieces on an american bumper
after all. Thats what I paid for a rechrome last year here in Sweden. Also american type and considered a good price.. Very Happy
I would go for the rechrome.
Still a better fit but also a nice feeling to know they are the originals to the car.
Pay once...cry once

Ok...aluminium they said. Thanks, good to know.

Good luck!

/Jonas
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

CanadaGhiadude wrote:
According to the plating company I shipped my bumpers to for re-chroming, the overriders as shown in the photos above are NOT pot metal but they are aluminum hence not an issue with chroming.

The insane quote I received for re-chroming complete both the rear and front bumpers is $2000cdn/$1500usd/1360euro.

Now the dilemma of either coughing up the $2k for the re-chroming.. sticking with the solid original bumpers or go with the $1k SS OEM from Vietnam!

The bumper guards that I've seen on earlier Ghias are cast (pot metal) and later they used steel, not aluminum.

The other pieces of the bumpers (blades and overrider tubes) are steel and should be chrome plated. If they were aluminum why would the chrome shop plate them instead of polishing them? As far as I know if a piece is made of aluminum it should be polished or anodized depending on its use.

The quote that you got is very reasonable if the shop does a good job of straightening and plating. I've gotten recent quotes from several shops and they range anywhere from $2,000USD-$4,000USD for both bumpers (16 pieces). I'd go with chrome plating the originals all day long if they're in decent condition.
CanadaGhiadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies...

Phoned my plating guy once again requesting he moves forward with the re-chroming on the bumpers. Mentioned that the overriders are very likely pot metal and not aluminum according to ghia owners/gurus. He indicated they are definitely al and he does buff out and/or repair all the al imperfections prior to chrome plating. He tells me the weight of the overriders in question are about 30% lighter compared to the steel overriders hence al and not pot metal. Either way they handle the plating..

When I have the bumpers back i will post photos of the results.. Totally agree 'now' that sticking with the original bumpers is the answer and not going with the knockoffs.. Lets see how they turn out!
berliner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

On my 64 I replaced the mystery-metal parts with steel ones.Turned out really nice when replated,glad I returned the Viet Nam ones.
CanadaGhiadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

I have added a few 62 Ghia finished product bumper photos including the mismatch of overriders as discussed in this forum.
Overall I couldn't be happier with the final outcome from my local Chrome Plating shop. Although going with a plating shop to re-chrome vs a purchase of stainless bumpers it worked out to approximately 35% more cash but worth every penny.

The original bumpers re-chromed look to me like 'factory fresh' & were a breeze to reinstall back on the car for obviously reasons! And to boot supporting a local business is a plus.

Good Luck

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

They look lovely. Now, you need to wax them to seal moisture at the microscopic level. There will remain tiny holes that water will get in, start rust and ruin the lustre. Aruba wax will fill that in and you can top it up every year or so to keep the brilliant shine.

Fabulous result with the OG bumpers

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

Those bumpers look terrific. I think i know which direction i will go now that i have seen those.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9247501#9247501

Original is the way to go. I sent mine to Advanced Plating in Tennessee. They took all the old stuff off and triple plated them. Expensive? You get what you pay for.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
CanadaGhiadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
They look lovely. Now, you need to wax them to seal moisture at the microscopic level. There will remain tiny holes that water will get in, start rust and ruin the lustre. Aruba wax will fill that in and you can top it up every year or so to keep the brilliant shine.

Fabulous result with the OG bumpers

Nicholas

Thanks for the advise regarding using Aruba wax on the bumpers, I'll add that task to my spring routine.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

Can you advise where to get "Aruba Wax" or does it go by another name? When I google it, I get a bunch of body waxing places, which sounds kind of fun Wink, but probably won't work on my bumper chrome. Or would any other type of common wax work on the bumpers?
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

I'm very impressed. Your bumpers look great. My bumpers are in good shape but compared to yours, they look pretty drab.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Can you advise where to get "Aruba Wax" or does it go by another name? When I google it, I get a bunch of body waxing places, which sounds kind of fun Wink, but probably won't work on my bumper chrome. Or would any other type of common wax work on the bumpers?
Jeff

think its carnauba wax?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Ghia Bumper Overriders aluminum or pot metal? Reply with quote

Yes Carnauba wax.
https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-carnauba-wax-607371

Spellcheck got me again. I hate spellcheck Embarassed

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: