Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Info on Engine Bay Compartment "Frame Rail" Rust?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Info on Engine Bay Compartment "Frame Rail" Rust? Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I'll post images of the rust in question.

For 2wd: info, pics, of rust repair, structural details to sheet metal and "frame" rails at sides in engine bay would be appreciated.

Has anyone used body panel adhesive to repair those areas? Do so in cooler temps down to - 1º C ?

For various reasons, I may need to repair those areas sooner than later. If an adhesive type repair to a structural area is "ok", I'd be into that.

Searched "essentials", galleries, forums (Vanagon, body/paint), key words "bay" "compartment" forum but no direct obvious results for this.

TIA,

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Engine Bay Compartment "Frame Rail" Rust? Reply with quote

Pictures, VN?
anyway, for that location I'd only be tempted to cut and weld new or good used steel, but maybe somebody can add their experience on repairing that area...
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Engine Bay Compartment "Frame Rail" Rust? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Pictures, VN?
anyway, for that location I'd only be tempted to cut and weld new or good used steel, but maybe somebody can add their experience on repairing that area...

Pic below is from 2008. Area left of bend at brake booster hose shows area I'm curious of; engine bay is rusted at same area on each side of bay. Will post current pics soon.

Cut and weld would be best for sure. I have some experience with MIG on thicker metal, on the bench, but little with van body metal. So presumably, this repair would take longer than normal. Whatever "normal" is. Wink

Seeing pics of metal cut out at those areas would help me visualize things to set a game plan. ie should I tackle this now or a year or so from now.

Neil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

edit: looking up at driver side of engine bay. Arrows point to rusted area. Image from 2013

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on Engine Bay Compartment "Frame Rail" Rust? Reply with quote

Its kinda one of those things where every spot is custom to the situation at hand. I have a small spot to deal with in the same area. If you have mig experience then you can do it. Just have a piece of the right gauge sheet metal ready for either the thinner fender well or the frame, hopefully not. There are likely spot welds to drill out where the fender well sheet metal is attached to the frame member. Do have a mig with gas? I wouldnt do it with flux cored.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on Engine Bay Compartment "Frame Rail" Rust? Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Its kinda one of those things where every spot is custom to the situation at hand. I have a small spot to deal with in the same area. If you have mig experience then you can do it. Just have a piece of the right gauge sheet metal ready for either the thinner fender well or the frame, hopefully not. There are likely spot welds to drill out where the fender well sheet metal is attached to the frame member. Do have a mig with gas? I wouldnt do it with flux cored.

Thanks. That helps envision things.

I have tri mix and a 110vac Hobart.

The rust is worse now than image shows. Got van insured today, drove it, will take pics tomorrow of rust. Maybe I'll hack out the area with a screwdriver to see how far hole(s) embiggen.

I suspect that rust has eaten into the frame.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on Engine Bay Compartment "Frame Rail" Rust? Reply with quote

Im sure there would be someone in the classifieds that could chop that whole area and ship it to you (frame and inner fender) . They could obviously cut it larger than you need and you could practice on some oe sheet metal. When welding thin metal you want to do a spot at a time. Key is that each spot was hot enough to penetrate and bond. Thats the crux maneuver , its you holding the trigger just the right amount of time where your little, very little pool of metal bonds and then stop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: