Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

Hello. I have a 1954 or 1955 convertible body that someone took the vin plate out of. Can I somehow find the vin number using just the body number?
Thank You.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

^^ I'm thinking early 1954? not easy to see 15 - 17?15

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
vw356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

15-17715
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

The only way I can think of is if by luck someone has the body number right before or after yours. Even if you do find the actual VIN without the chassis there wont be much you can do with it
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

First I'd do due diligence to insure that isn't a stolen car parted out. Then I'd find some clapped out oval era Bug convertible with a good tunnel and the body tag. Id get the biggest rust bucket and parted out turd that had a good central tunnel and a TITLE. I'd build up a nice pan and hope the body tag fairy visited the lost body some night.

Oh -- I wouldn't post about it. However, before starting I'd samba search the stolen, ask all around the local VW community, and try to find any stolen car registry I could search anonymously. Many old Bugs, even ones highly desirable now, where just parts cars in the '70's once not roadworthy. Often considered nothing but scrap by the last owner they where tossed away as trash.
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

I started a 1955 list. Was trying to find my last couple numbers to un readable chassis number

Let me dig up the lost I started.

Trying to find a cheap junked out oval convertible will be nearly impossible. They are all being saved these days.
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

my calculation was based on knowing that body 15 - 17850 was made in may 54 according to etzold's der kafer book. also backed up by adding-up yearly production numbers, they were at 16000 by the end of 53.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
54 Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

I'm in Alberta Canada and we don't use a "Title" system for cars, though other Canadian Provinces do. As I understand it one of the main reasons most jurisdictions use it is to reduce theft by using a secondary document to prove ownership for the sake of ownership transfer and proof of ownership. I'm pretty sure I could register and licence that car to drive on the road here. You don't have the Chassis I take it. None of that helps you much there, but there are places where titles aren't used where it would have value, such as here... it would have to come here as "parts".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

- I have had a similar situation - in 2012, I bought an oval bug offa' thesamba for a hundred bux - from the body number, we determined, it was a February 1955 - I could not care less what the original VIN was and put it on a 1965 pan - so we have a 1955 on a 1965 pan - is still a very cool old bug - been slowly puttin' it back together - is registered as a '65, but to the looker, it's obviously a '55-
- lookin' at a '1950 body and we have another ''65 pan - might do the same thing...
...just put yours on a pan and enjoy it... if you ever find the actual VIN, then you'll have it - and so what?
… checked out your gallery, vw356 - seems you have lotza' bodies like our '55 - love all your stuff - i'd bet you have lotza' fun.

3/55 and this 2/55, on the right... enjoy -

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

VW356 ? Im just curious, you seem to have a whole lot of rusted cars. do you have any
that have bee. completed?
reminds me of whats an inside a hoarders home. Somewhat organized chaos.
Theres a time in ones life when one needs to stop what there doing an focus on 1 thing.
I know its my opinion, and we all have one, but shit man, i cant just look, venting.
Just an observation.
Cheers Tomas.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
VW356 ? Im just curious, you seem to have a whole lot of rusted cars. do you have any
that have bee. completed?
reminds me of whats an inside a hoarders home. Somewhat organized chaos.
Theres a time in ones life when one needs to stop what there doing an focus on 1 thing.
I know its my opinion, and we all have one, but shit man, i cant just look, venting.
Just an observation.
Cheers Tomas.

… everyone is so different … thankfully - one runner or multiple non runners = the same thing - all of us enjoying this fabulous VW hobby - we are all so blessed to be part of it, in whichever form -
- this dude says, "There is a time in ones life, when one needs to stop what they are doing and focus on one thing." How true" - death is that part of life, where everything ( as we know it) stops - shouldda' been focusing on permanence already -
- old VWs are like great art - while driving them is great fun - hording or dreaming 'bout them is much like an art collection - is just my opinion, but vw356, just an observation - I appreciate all your art collection, even without the original VINs. - you're a man with vision.

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

I like your collection...split Beetle and 356 quietly sleeping behind the shop, plus lots of early sheet metal. Not a bad thing to collect...
You might see chaos Tomas, others (like myself and ZEN) see some very collectible tin back there.
As stated, trying to find a junker early vert' pan might be hard to do...looks like you've found some other hard to find cars. I'm sure if anybody can find one, it'll be you. Put up a wanted ad, or maybe a trade ad? I bet some stuff comes out of the woodwork for that 356. Laughing Depending on how bad you need the vert' pan of course.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I like your collection...split Beetle and 356 quietly sleeping behind the shop, plus lots of early sheet metal. Not a bad thing to collect...
You might see chaos Tomas, others (like myself and ZEN) see some very collectible tin back there.
As stated, trying to find a junker early vert' pan might be hard to do...looks like you've found some other hard to find cars. I'm sure if anybody can find one, it'll be you. Put up a wanted ad, or maybe a trade ad? I bet some stuff comes out of the woodwork for that 356. Laughing Depending on how bad you need the vert' pan of course.
I agree, you have a nice collection of early metal. Sad thing is, as they are stored outside, uncovered, they won't last long.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

Quote:
Sad thing is, as they are stored outside, uncovered, they won't last long.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
… How long is "not long"?
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

theorangeperil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

Are there not Karmann records available somewhere? The VW Museum?

I see you've owned the car a while? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336959&highlight=

I hope someone can help.
LoneWolf8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

Look at the number more carefully and you will see its 15-17415.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Quote:

Not as long as something that is stored properly. I know of a 15 window bus stored outside for over 30 years with no windows. Just push on the sides and it makes crunching noises. Maybe you can get away with that in Az, Tex, ect. I'm going through that right now with a parts load I just picked up. The guy's outside covered structure ripped apart and he just left everything sitting there, wasting away.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

[quote="Mark Evans"]
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Not as long as something that is stored properly.

"properly" - is there such a thing? "outside, uncovered" - sounds like 2 very-artistic-methods to obtain a very sweet patina - rust is beautiful, if that is your thing - not pickin' on you Mr Evans. I see, your very valid point - storage inside, out of the weather can be better, if an artistic patina-look is not desired OR one has storage inside, to begin with...

I just bought a 1950 11A with a body number, but no original pan or number - Boy, would I like to find the original pan number, like you, vw356...

... Found another 1950 11A with a body number 2 numbers-off from mine and thought my 11A- VIN would be only be 2 numbers off and wrote that hypothetical VIN number down - then went on the split window registry and saw another 1950 with that same number as my hypothetical number that I wrote down, yet that body number was 11 numbers off - my uneducated guess and observation is that when building new cars, the builder went to a lot-of-bodies and took one to marry-up to a pan - I don't think everything was done in numerical order - So, I think you, vw356 and I are outta' luck.

i'm gunna put that 1950 11A onna' 1965 pan and enjoy it.
Then, store it inside ("properly" for me) in my barn, since the last owner stored it (in his proper way) outside, under a tree, actually, for 30 years - which unbeknownst to him, created an artistic-patina finish - that I love...

… goes to show - there are numerous, "proper" methods and no one way...

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

Surface rust/patina is one thing. But here in the wet Pacific Northwest, a car sitting exposed to the elements with missing windows or leaking rubber will eventually cause the metal to decompose(like the 15 window I mentioned). An Arizona car sitting for 30 years will have the cool paint and patina...I was mainly commenting on the very rusty looking oval window, a convertible and the buses seen in some of vw356's yard pics.
I knew of a guy who refused to sell an early Impala that he had sitting under a tree so long, that the rain gutter channels were literally falling of of it. He still stated that "he would get to it someday". A $20 tarp would have saved him thousands$$$.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: No vin plate or chasis number.. What can I do? Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Surface rust/patina is one thing. But here in the wet Pacific Northwest, a car sitting exposed to the elements with missing windows or leaking rubber will eventually cause the metal to decompose(like the 15 window I mentioned). An Arizona car sitting for 30 years will have the cool paint and patina...I was mainly commenting on the very rusty looking oval window, a convertible and the buses seen in some of vw356's yard pics.
I knew of a guy who refused to sell an early Impala that he had sitting under a tree so long, that the rain gutter channels were literally falling of of it. He still stated that "he would get to it someday". A $20 tarp would have saved him thousands$$$.

… I hear ya' - my 11A sat under a tree, for 30 years in kinda' damp NJ, near the Jersey shore and has some rust-through on the right gutter - that's okay with me - nothing a piece of metal tape can't handle - a cheap fix - Always wanted to tape a rusty spot, like that and never had the chance -
- I guess, it is my tendency to add to another's happiness - hope I am successful - and try not to insinuate that others are not doing something properly - there is a chance, that little criticism might be taken wrong, not adding anything, but ill-will - I hear you though and mean no dis respect -
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: