Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tripleplay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

Hi all, We had to sell my wife's beautiful 1972 Super to buy a house with no regrets, and now I think it's time to get back into the game and purchase another SB. Prices have gone up with a fair amount of junk out there for our budget, I'm currently looking at at 72. The car looks nice but some rust on the bottom, looking for your advice on what I'm getting into, Our last SB had zero rust. Pictures to follow

Jay
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

Get one from the SouthWest. The shipping will more than offset the money you'll layout for rust repair/replacement on something from back East.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

Check into the cost of rust repair in your area. Body work is expensive and true the south west cars have far less rust. But they do rust out here.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

where in NY are you located.. it's actually a fairly big state. Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Get one from the SouthWest. The shipping will more than offset the money you'll layout for rust repair/replacement on something from back East.

THIS^^ times 100.

The cost to ship a rust free bug from the salt/snow free SW is nothing compared to the cost of fixing a rusty bug.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tripleplay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with uploading photos, I edited my location, now live in PA
The SB looks to have to much rust and thanks fo the feedback guys!
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bought this 71sb from the southwest as a rolling chassis rust free for 700.00. Another 700.00 to ship to Ct. Restored it and ended up with this
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

There are some decent cars around our part of the world, but you really need to know what to look for. If you can find a solid Super, you are probably going to be at least $5K and it will still need work.

Before you take the plunge, you need to decide on whether you want a project or a ready to drive car. Have seen some fairly nice looking cars under $10K in the northeast.

But if you are thinking a project to keep cost down, you probably wont be saving any money. Price stuff out and research. Pretty typical to spend a couple grand just to get a car roadworthy, then nice stuff like body and paint is gonna add up real quick.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:

This ^^^. If you are dead set on a '72 SB- at least buy the best one you can find- not a project.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Jhp212
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

Buying a Sw car is great advice but how realistic is it? I guess people buy them sight unseen but it’s hard to see what these cars have going on as far as rust and rot. I’ve checked craigslist or samba and they’re out there but still would like to physically see them before arranging them to be shipped. Although it’s sounds great, most of us are married,kids, etc etc and going out west and scouting around possibly coming back empty would be a hard sell. If you’re paying someone to fix all the rust the price will be enormous. I know learning to fix these issues will be a big challenge but it’s a project/hobby. It is going to cost money either way. But it depends on what you want and are willing to spend. Me, I know I’ve signed up for a lot (and maybe I’ve made a big mistake!) but I’m in no rush and I probably never would have gotten into this otherwise. If anyone here has shipped sight unseen please let us know exactly what site other than the 2 I’ve mentioned you checked. I assume that your sellers were willing to take tons of pictures. I’ve been looking around for good chassis possibly or just fix up what i have.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

Jhp212 wrote:
Buying a Sw car is great advice but how realistic is it? I guess people buy them sight unseen but it’s hard to see what these cars have going on as far as rust and rot. I’ve checked craigslist or samba and they’re out there but still would like to physically see them before arranging them to be shipped. Although it’s sounds great, most of us are married,kids, etc etc and going out west and scouting around possibly coming back empty would be a hard sell. If you’re paying someone to fix all the rust the price will be enormous. I know learning to fix these issues will be a big challenge but it’s a project/hobby. It is going to cost money either way. But it depends on what you want and are willing to spend. Me, I know I’ve signed up for a lot (and maybe I’ve made a big mistake!) but I’m in no rush and I probably never would have gotten into this otherwise. If anyone here has shipped sight unseen please let us know exactly what site other than the 2 I’ve mentioned you checked. I assume that your sellers were willing to take tons of pictures. I’ve been looking around for good chassis possibly or just fix up what i have.

There are folks in these areas that you can pay a fee to and they will go look at a VW for you since you're on the other side of the country. You could also pay for a PPI at an old school VW shop. Ask the potential seller to take it to that shop.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

ok so now you live in the great big state of PA..
still doesn't help us help you if we don't know where..
Erie, PA is a LONNNG ways from Philly..
but here's one in Erie if you're at that end of the state
https://erie.craigslist.org/pts/d/cranesville-vw-beetle-bug-parts-car/7020580418.html

Tripleplay wrote:
I'm having trouble with uploading photos, I edited my location, now live in PA
The SB looks to have to much rust and thanks fo the feedback guys!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tripleplay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion, I appreciate your help in trying to find me a SB.
I was looking for some feedback from the one I found locally with some rust on the under carriage, Pans were good, Rockers were good, Heaters Channels were good. The seller paid $4K and invested 5K and is asking 6K. I'm still working on pictures, going to work on the pictures this weekend.

Jay
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

sellers statement of investment, value and outlay is about as accurate as your daughter coming home late from "Nothing, just hanging out with friends"

requires additional scrutiny
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get back to the madness in a good way! Reply with quote

Tripleplay wrote:
Sorry for the confusion, I appreciate your help in trying to find me a SB.
I was looking for some feedback from the one I found locally with some rust on the under carriage, Pans were good, Rockers were good, Heaters Channels were good. The seller paid $4K and invested 5K and is asking 6K. I'm still working on pictures, going to work on the pictures this weekend.

Jay

shoot you can get one cheaper with no rust, hell I would sell you mine for not much more than that and its finished.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: