Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PSA 1.8T 5 valve head issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: PSA 1.8T 5 valve head issue Reply with quote

Public service announcement....

Apparently it is quite easy to install the exhaust valve springs in the 1.8T heads off center. I found this out the hard way after a head gasket job on a 30V V6 (same head architecture as the 1.8T). The machine shop I had go through the heads made a tiny mistake.. which destroyed cylinder #1. When the spring is tilted on the casting boss it side loads the valve stem, causing it to shear off right below the keeper. Took 20 minutes of running for mine. I'd really hate for anyone else to have to go through this experience. My story ended well enough after parting out another Passat for a core head, piston and rod.. but a HUGE amount of work. Check the springs on your 1.8T swap prior to install after a rebuild!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: PSA 1.8T 5 valve head issue Reply with quote

Yikes! That seems like a devilishly easy mistake to make upon reassembly. Thanks for the HU

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: PSA 1.8T 5 valve head issue Reply with quote

Oy VEY..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroBouree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: PSA 1.8T 5 valve head issue Reply with quote

Who-wee, sorry for your misfortune. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and the pointer to the service issue reference.
1979 Harley Lowrider -- Donated to a good home
1969 Ford Bronco Half-Cab 351W, Toploader, Dana 44 FE, Detroit Locker, Duffy’s Suspension – wish I still had it
1962 GMC 3/4T Fleetside, V6<-Chevy 409 w/factory headers, Camper/Tow Rig – ditto
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: PSA 1.8T 5 valve head issue Reply with quote

Yeah... one of the toughest bullets I've ever had to swallow. Gutted. My youngest son was working with me and heard the noise.. he was like "that didn't sound good" Probably wouldn't be too bad on a 1.8T.. the V6 is not fun to work on..LOL. It became a mental block for me, happened Feb 1st and just got it back together, again.

J
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: PSA 1.8T 5 valve head issue Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of that "collision" jberger.

Great info, thanks; excellent example of the internet being used for "good" !

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: