Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

Was not sure where to put this. but when you eliminate heat, you now have the bakelite tubes that run into the body that should be sealed. I found these plastic cap plugs on Amazon that is used for finishing off metal tubing ends. Cheap, works like a dream and looks decent.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DH7NS9F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

I used 2.5" PVC caps.

I wrapped the inside with duct tape so it would be a "press on" fitting and then sprayed undercoat to do the final sealing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I used 2.5" PVC caps.

Same. The ones that come with the hose clamps on them ensure they will stay in place.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

I'm using the passenger side one to run my -6 SS AN fuel line through, and the leads for my CHT thermocouples..

the thermocouple wires come out the passenger foot vent and go up through a hole i drilled under the dash (i put a rubber grommet on it to protect them..)

I had a rust cancer spot just above the floor pan on the passenger side, i i brutalized it and poked a hole in the heater channel and ran the fuel line through it to the outside of the car..

it ain't pretty, but it works. Since then I'm put some rivnuts around the hole, trimmed some sheet metal to wrap around the hose (again, grommeted) and used something we call "Monkey shit" on ships (it's a duct sealing compound similar to silly putty) to keep water out of the channel..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

Maybe....

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1680&a...amp;uact=5

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

That’s what I use...Home Depot and Lowes carry them. I believe they are actually 2” ferncos, but they stretch over them

Dale M. wrote:
Maybe....

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1680&a...amp;uact=5

Dale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

I used spray paint can caps. Just because that's what I had laying around when I had it in the air.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

I'm sure someone make a beer can that will slide tightly over the tube. Take your time and experiment until you find just the right one.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
I used spray paint can caps. Just because that's what I had laying around when I had it in the air.

That's what I did . . . LOL
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

I removed them completely and made 2 plates to cover the holes in the crossmembers that attach through the original threaded holes. Seam sealed the edges for water tightness.

Appreciate you need body off to do this but it's neat and frees up space under rear seat for extras like an ecu.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

I use Gorilla tape
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

I used nothing!!
The mice LOVE their new home under the back seat!
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

and the mice keep the cheetoos and chips&fries all cleaned up.!!! I dont have a clue what I used...hmm yes I do!! I removed the tube and bolted a plate there!! then on the dr side I routed it to the new oil cooler tin where I cut a big hole in it and cut at a anlgle ,then welded a ss tube to it so i could have heat in the car when I wanted it .works good, but takes longer to get heat than the ex does. but it is heat...to a degree Wink it heats good.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

Lots of cool ideas....But on customer cars I spend too much effort making stuff that nobody will see look nice....so my idea looks more finished ... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

Freeze plug and a couple tack welds
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Freeze plug and a couple tack welds

It's Bakelite... good luck welding to it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

buguy wrote:

Same here...and some duct tape....been on there for two years now
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

It's Bakelite... good luck welding to it

Not all are bakelite, sorry dude Rolling Eyes
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
It's Bakelite... good luck welding to it

Not all are bakelite, sorry dude Rolling Eyes

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cap off heat tubes in body if using J-Tubes Reply with quote

I used Great Stuff spray foam

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: