Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frozen rear brake drum on 71 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear brake drum on 71 Bus Reply with quote

Phillip3560 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I may not have been very clear in what I intended to ask but I’ll try to reply to the comments above:
1. I was actually using the torque wrench as a breaker bar as it can apply up to 600 ft-lbs. In fact, I wasn’t trying to remove the castle nut but was trying to apply enough force to turn the wheel and break the rust bond holding the brake drum on.
2. Yes, the only thing I am trying to accomplish at this point is to remove the rusted on brake drum.
3. I will continue to “hammer away” but my pressing question is if I remove the castle nut and attach a puller that is held by the wheel lug nuts, will I damage the axle, bearings, or CV joint? The puller I want to use is shown in Fig. 8-4 of Bentley manual. This approach may not be the best approach since most of the things I have read indicate using the hammer approach instead. However, using this gear puller would seem to work as long as it does not damage the axle.

I think the point was do your future self a favor and don't use your torque wrench like a breaker bar. It can throw off the calibration. It's not designed for rough use like a breaker bar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: