Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Now here is something that as an old body man and painter gets my ire up constantly. There is rarely ever a need to take any car totally back to bare metal. The original prep and primer is VERY durable and an excellent base for a refinish..

exactly what I thought as I was seeing that, and exactly what my autobody instructor taught us. no primer we install can be as good as the factory stuff, e-cote or whatever.

I hope it was epoxy primer.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

SLVRSRFR wrote:
]

Very nice and I LOVE the wood too.

Dont understand why people want gray or other painted interiors.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
oprn wrote:
Now here is something that as an old body man and painter gets my ire up constantly. There is rarely ever a need to take any car totally back to bare metal. The original prep and primer is VERY durable and an excellent base for a refinish..

exactly what I thought as I was seeing that, and exactly what my autobody instructor taught us. no primer we install can be as good as the factory stuff, e-cote or whatever.

I hope it was epoxy primer.

A lot of times I end up taking an entire panel down to mostly bare metal if it needs filler or work. If possible I leave the original paint intact as it is hard as nails and chemically inert. It really depends on what I’m working on.
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

I've been wanting to do an early Euro style metal dash for awhile now - some of the pictures I have seen of them look really good, and some look really bad...
I didn't want to be locked in to the idea so I left my original dash the way it is and picked up another one to mess around with.

Here it is stripped down - I peeled the padding off and then brought it over to my powder coater friend to strip in his oven - came out nice and clean.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I then took it over to my buddy Wes's place - dude does amazing sheet metal work (check him out on Instagram - vintage_tin) and he shaped and welded in patches for me. We got rid of the obround holes on the ends, a bunch of the small switch holes along the bottom, and the radio hole.

I got the pieces back from paint and started to put them together this past weekend - I am super happy with how it is coming out - can't wait to see how it looks installed in the bus!

'78 westy, '64 sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Some more bracket fabrication...

I made both early and late model alternator brackets

I was missing some exhaust brackets, so I made some of those as well.
The bends on these are not parallel with the ends of the brackets, so I had make a sacrificial tab for alignment on the back stop of the press brake.

If anyone needs any of these, they are available from Scott at German Supply.

'78 westy, '64 sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Brian, doing a fantastic job! I am in the process of restoring a 76 Westy, and also purchased the access door kit for the fuel sending unit. My motor is still out, and I am in the process of restoring the engine compartment and fuel tank areas. Did you possibly save your measurements for where you located the opening hole for the kit? Would be MUCH appreciated !! Thanks, Bob
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

The Volkswagen Ranch wrote:
Brian, doing a fantastic job! I am in the process of restoring a 76 Westy, and also purchased the access door kit for the fuel sending unit. My motor is still out, and I am in the process of restoring the engine compartment and fuel tank areas. Did you possibly save your measurements for where you located the opening hole for the kit? Would be MUCH appreciated !! Thanks, Bob

Thank you! Yes, I have some measurements - they are on page 9 of this thread...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9380126&highlight=#9380126

'78 westy, '64 sedan
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Brian , thank you VERY much! Going to go out and hopefully spend some time in the garage tomorrow at last. Just got too cold the past couple of weeks, and had to let my hands heal from “cracks “ on most of my fingertips. Even though used the Buddy propane heater to bring it up to 60 degrees.... everything is still cold!
Bob
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Great work and photos. I'll be following to see the final result. Popcorn

I have so many of those damn Kirkland rags, I get one free every time I go to the carwash. lol
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

zoobum wrote:
Great work and photos. I'll be following to see the final result. Popcorn

I have so many of those damn Kirkland rags, I get one free every time I go to the carwash. lol

Thanks! Final result still seems so far away - I am hoping to have it ready to go for June or July, but there is so much left to do, its a little overwhelming at times...
Those rags do come in handy!

'78 westy, '64 sedan
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Try corn huskers lotion for you cracked finger tips.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Calvinater, I used to use that many , many years ago! Totally forgot about it. Thank you ! Going to see if I can find some today. Bob
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

I cleaned up the steering column (more zinc plating!) - replaced the coupler and had the column tube and cover plate powder coated...
Question - is there supposed to be a seal of some sort between the column tube and cover plate? There wasn't one when I disassembled, but there is a bit of a gap there.

'78 westy, '64 sedan
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

No seal. Earlier years have a plastic bushing there but not your year.
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
No seal. Earlier years have a plastic bushing there but not your year.

Beauty - thanks Scott

'78 westy, '64 sedan
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

After several months off - I am back at it...

New goal is to have it on the road for summer 2022.

Couple of more parts cleaned, re-plated, re-assembled.

Also got the engine in a couple of weeks ago.

Currently working on wiring.

'78 westy, '64 sedan
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Just finished up my engine bay lighting project...

Drew everything up in cad and laser cut out of .060" aluminum.

Epoxied the 2 panels together and then had them powdercoated the same grey as the firewall panel.

Wired up the 12v LED lights and riveted the panels into place.

Should make breaking down in the middle of the night a little more enjoyable!!

'78 westy, '64 sedan
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Beautiful. Now you need a lexan deck lid. Cool

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

This is the nicest bus restoration I've seen. You are extremely detailed and it shows. Your bus is going to be a showstopper. I don't think I could drive it after what you've done.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Fantastic work! The original silver was unique and looked nice, but your bus is looking awesome! I used to live in Guelph - my youngest daughter was born there. Nice city. I miss it.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: