Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show me pictures of your Maxtrax!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

Looking to see what people have done for mounting and using their Maxtrax. Yes, you can post other recovery pads too!
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

I've got mine (knockoffs) mounted on my spare tire carrier. Despite getting into a lot of sticky situations I never actually had to use them, they were just there for a last resort.

This photo kind of shows the mounting. Unfortunately I don't have any pics on my phone and am not near the van at the moment so this is the best pic I've got!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

Strapped to the top cross bars. Felt like they're less likely to end up in thieve’ing hands.

They work.

I apologize to this farmer for my bad discussions.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

It's probably not the best idea, but I've used my Lynx levelers, stacked overlapping, as a recovery track. Worked when I needed it to.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

bsrad wrote:

Looks like the kind of place that just having the MaxTracs with you would lead you to make a bad decision!
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

Knock-off MaxxTrax set worked great in testing during our first snowstorm this year. Quick n dirty mount on the spare tire with TitanStraps.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

I bought the Treds, half the price of Max Trax and comparable reviews.

Due to the panicked intensity of the moment, this is the loan photo from a sandy afternoon in Baja. It does a very poor job of showing the amount of stuckness that my beloved Tatanka was in, but after much digging, sweating, and assistance, the Treds were instrumental in getting me out.

I kept them in my Rocket box on the roof or underneath the bag in the luggage rack. I still haven't figured out an appropriate place to carry them on my Syncro.

ETA: While the sage green color of these Treds is easy on the eyes, there's a reason that most people have brightly-colored ones. I spent a half hour digging in the sand trying to find one that was buried and camouflaged...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

Sorry for no pic, we carry ours in the luggage rack because nobody knows they're there.

Invaluable gear. We've used them maybe five times over six years, and never would have gotten out any of those times without them. A few of those times were fifty miles from Nowhere.

This last time was in deep clay, they weighed a good hundred pounds each once covered in the goo. Invaluable, must carry two to go three feet at a time and flip-flop the next one in.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

: While the sage green color of these Treds is easy on the eyes, there's a reason that most people have brightly-colored ones. I spent a half hour digging in the sand trying to find one that was buried and camouflaged...

That's a true dilemma for some of us. I prefer the incognito look, but I can see how the bright color could be useful. I like the idea of them inside a roof top box and out-of view.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

The Chinese knock-offs are not worth it, not to mention you are further funding China for the future war with us!

In the serious off-road world, everyone knows Maxtrax or Tred's are the only practical options out there and won't suddenly crack down the middle or stay permanently warped when bent too far. I prefer the Tred Pro version myself.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:
The Chinese knock-offs are not worth it, not to mention you are further funding China for the future war with us!

Almost nobody cares about the effects of where we spend. All that matters is when we save.

Meaning, I agree with you 1000% and say Thanks for giving a damn.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
I like the idea of them inside a roof top box and out-of view.

Ours fit "like they were made to go there" in the bottom of the Space Booster box I used on the Westy.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
newerwesty1987 wrote:

Almost nobody cares about the effects of where we spend. All that matters is when we save.

On the other hand...

Americans aren’t the only humans that need to eat. Peace on Earth. Good will to men.

Of course, I’m flying home from a work trip and a bit tipsy in the airport
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

I keep mine in the luggage rack. They are the chinese knock offs and have been used several times with no noticeable damage to them. Even if they do break, i can buy them four mores times for under the price of maxx traxx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
E1 wrote:
newerwesty1987 wrote:

On the other hand...

Americans aren’t the only humans that need to eat. Peace on Earth. Good will to men.

Of course, I’m flying home from a work trip and a bit tipsy in the airport

Ha, maybe I need a beer. Very Happy

My thoughts aren't anti-anyone — but we need to survive, too. They have healthcare and we do not, though we sure like to make a "killing" on others' illnesses.

— Colin Chapman
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:

..or maybe the fact that we buy a bunch of cheap crap from China is the main reason that holds them back from going to war with us.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

I would avoid the knock offs of the max trax that have 5G listening devices embedded in them

Razz
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

I don't fear a war, but money is power and we should allocate thoughtfully.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

I've never been so stuck in sand that lowering the air pressure didn't get me out. I do have a set of sand ladders that I used one time when we had to get a 2wd Ford Transit out of the sand down in Baja. His MaxTracs didn't do the job for him.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Reply with quote

I have mine mounted on the outside of my roof rack. I used to have them laying flat, strapped inside the rack, but needed the space and didn't want to stack a bunch of stuff on top of them in case I needed them. Mine are actually Tred 1100's, which I noticed Tred is now an ARB product. I have one Tred mount which has a padlock and just strapped the other end. To be honest, in the 3 or 4 years I've had them, I haven't had the need to use them yet, but like knowing I have them just in case.

Note the old blue bus in the background. I was at this guys farm and he about 9 of them laying around in several locations, including an old Westy.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)

Last edited by Vanlife Geek on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: