Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Yup, rebuilding that switch is a mini nightmare. When I did the one in the 71 Notch, I used some bread ties to hold it together long enough to slip it in place and get my screws started. It took me some time just to get that thing put back together, but I did, and it works. Since you've got yours back together congrats. It might not seem like it, but that's a great accomplishment. Just keep in mind you could steal one out of a bug if needed. Wink I'm not sure what the large black ring was for though.

Discount can balance the 4 lug rims without issue. For the wide 5 lug rims you have to go to Good Year, well I do. My local Good Year dealer has no problems doing them.

Sounds like you're getting closer to being done with the Square, since your "fix it" list is getting smaller. Very Happy
Keep going, you're making some of the others here look bad, and you still have a bug to finish. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I agree with Bobnotch - I think the progress you have made puts many to shame - Including me !! I have only been at it for 4 months, and am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, and it has stretched me mechanically, yet I would NEVER have attempted to pull that indicator switch apart !! Or, if it had exploded on me, nor would I have been able to put it together. (To be fair to myself, several of the plastic parts on my switch were either dust or were crumbling away with age, so I had no choice but to buy a new unit.) And the body and engine work you have done is beyond me too - I have to farm that stuff out Embarassed .
Shame about the travel restrictions due to the virus - If they weren't in place, I would have invited you down to Australia for a break and you could have helped me finish Clementine !! Laughing
Good on you,
Giles
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I didn't rebuild mine. I just bought a reproduction one of ebay. I got one with the copper contact on it as well as a different steering wheel. Rewired so my steering shaft is no longer 'hot'.

RE your windshield seal, are the corners of your windshield foggy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Yup, rebuilding that switch is a mini nightmare. When I did the one in the 71 Notch, I used some bread ties to hold it together long enough to slip it in place and get my screws started. It took me some time just to get that thing put back together, but I did, and it works. Since you've got yours back together congrats. It might not seem like it, but that's a great accomplishment. Just keep in mind you could steal one out of a bug if needed. Wink I'm not sure what the large black ring was for though.

Discount can balance the 4 lug rims without issue. For the wide 5 lug rims you have to go to Good Year, well I do. My local Good Year dealer has no problems doing them.

Sounds like you're getting closer to being done with the Square, since your "fix it" list is getting smaller. Very Happy
Keep going, you're making some of the others here look bad, and you still have a bug to finish. Wink

Yeah, it is for sure rebuilding it. I had to use tape. I might snag a bug one next time I’m at the junkyard. All the bug ones I have are the old style. Okay, the black ring could of just been from anywhere, it was just a similar size.

Discount tire today Shocked no one was there, just a ton of employees. I took in 4 of Joann’s rims. I took the tires off the rims this morning and cleaned the grease off they PO used to mount the roller tires. Anyways, I brought my four tires and rims in, 10 minutes they had the mounted and balanced and back in my dad’s truck. Each guy did each tire across the machines. It’s strange times right now.

My mechanical list is shrinking fast, body repair list... last night I realized that I probably need to replace the right heater channel, it doesn’t look horrible, but the inner skin rusted away so the outer skin for 1/2 the channel is not attacked to the inner part and the front and rear of the channel is pretty bad. I will wait till next winter to replace it if I do it. I think I should be able to finish pan repair tomorrow and the left half of the car.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
I agree with Bobnotch - I think the progress you have made puts many to shame - Including me !! I have only been at it for 4 months, and am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, and it has stretched me mechanically, yet I would NEVER have attempted to pull that indicator switch apart !! Or, if it had exploded on me, nor would I have been able to put it together. (To be fair to myself, several of the plastic parts on my switch were either dust or were crumbling away with age, so I had no choice but to buy a new unit.) And the body and engine work you have done is beyond me too - I have to farm that stuff out Embarassed .
Shame about the travel restrictions due to the virus - If they weren't in place, I would have invited you down to Australia for a break and you could have helped me finish Clementine !! Laughing
Good on you,
Giles

Thanks, not everyone has as much time as me. Because of the current crisis, this is my third week out of school and we didn’t go online so I barely have any school work and tons of time. What counts is finishing it. I’ve been working on restoring my bug for 3-4 years Laughing I was nervous pulling it apart because if I really messed something up bad, it would be an expensive to replace. It’s never to late to learn body work Wink
That would be cool to go to Australia, I would love to help if I could! Cool name for your car!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
I didn't rebuild mine. I just bought a reproduction one of ebay. I got one with the copper contact on it as well as a different steering wheel. Rewired so my steering shaft is no longer 'hot'.

RE your windshield seal, are the corners of your windshield foggy?

That would be smart to make the steering column no longer hot, so in the case when the turn signal breaks, the spring doesn’t short on the column and make the horn go off Rolling Eyes not that I’d know about that Laughing

My windshield is a little foggy in the corners, barely noticeable. I only noticed them cleaning the windshield for the second time yesterday.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:

My windshield is a little foggy in the corners, barely noticeable. I only noticed them cleaning the windshield for the second time yesterday.

The reason I asked is because the same thing was happening to mine. That fogging was the beginnings of delamination. I ended up breaking my windshield on install.

I tell you this so you can be careful and perhaps come up with a contingency plane should yours break during install.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Not sure if you have done so,
But to really fine-tune things, you'll want to do it in this order:

1. Adjust valves
2. Adjust timing
3. Adjust fuel

Since the motor sat for a long time and has since been pressed into service,
The valve adjustment is bound to have moved around some.
Perfect that you have run it in and changed the oil,
Because your next adjustment might be one that lasts a long time.
So do it extra carefully.. Wink

This sets the stage for the motor itself being right from a tuning standpoint,
Whereby you can get out your timing light..
Setting the timing on a type 3 is, erm, kind of not the most exact..
Those of us who build hot motors like to mark the degrees of crankshaft rotation to check full advance with and without the can on and whatnot,
but try and get it as perfect as you can according to the Bentley.
Be extra sure you're not idling too fast, and starting the advance mechanism to advancing things.
Timing has to be set just so before you can do fuel adjustments right, because moving the timing changes the idle speed.
Plus, the FI system was designed to work with the timing set just so.

Then, you set your idle speed last.. You got that, no doubt.

Reason i say this, is that i don't remember you saying you got out the timing light.
You might be 'tuning around' a bad timing setting.

Plus your valves are right now going to be ready for that 'key' first adjustment.
Plus the fuel system has flushed itself and is now flowing like it's gonna..

You'll be stoked how well it runs when you get it all nutted.

Making a tune session it's own separate task is a good idea.

When you're an old carp like me, one foot dragging, shuffling along, mumbling to yourself, hearing or seeing nothing else around you, hands shaking, forgetting where you are, it takes a whole day.

If you're young and distracted by anything, it takes all day for different reasons. Laughing

Either way,
Make a point of setting each er, setting, as best you can.
Get them right and tight as they have just taken a 'set'.

Then sit.. Eh?

What’s That Noise?!?
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

The reason I asked is because the same thing was happening to mine. That fogging was the beginnings of delamination. I ended up breaking my windshield on install.

I tell you this so you can be careful and perhaps come up with a contingency plane should yours break during install.

Yikes! I will have to be careful. Here is the fog.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Not sure if you have done so,
But to really fine-tune things, you'll want to do it in this order:

1. Adjust valves
2. Adjust timing
3. Adjust fuel

Since the motor sat for a long time and has since been pressed into service,
The valve adjustment is bound to have moved around some.
Perfect that you have run it in and changed the oil,
Because your next adjustment might be one that lasts a long time.
So do it extra carefully.. Wink

This sets the stage for the motor itself being right from a tuning standpoint,
Whereby you can get out your timing light..
Setting the timing on a type 3 is, erm, kind of not the most exact..
Those of us who build hot motors like to mark the degrees of crankshaft rotation to check full advance with and without the can on and whatnot,
but try and get it as perfect as you can according to the Bentley.
Be extra sure you're not idling too fast, and starting the advance mechanism to advancing things.
Timing has to be set just so before you can do fuel adjustments right, because moving the timing changes the idle speed.
Plus, the FI system was designed to work with the timing set just so.

Then, you set your idle speed last.. You got that, no doubt.

Reason i say this, is that i don't remember you saying you got out the timing light.
You might be 'tuning around' a bad timing setting.

Plus your valves are right now going to be ready for that 'key' first adjustment.
Plus the fuel system has flushed itself and is now flowing like it's gonna..

You'll be stoked how well it runs when you get it all nutted.

Making a tune session it's own separate task is a good idea.

When you're an old carp like me, one foot dragging, shuffling along, mumbling to yourself, hearing or seeing nothing else around you, hands shaking, forgetting where you are, it takes a whole day.

If you're young and distracted by anything, it takes all day for different reasons. Laughing

Either way,
Make a point of setting each er, setting, as best you can.
Get them right and tight as they have just taken a 'set'.

Then sit.. Eh?

I did adjust valves today, you message gave me the extra push Laughing they were a bit off. It was a good thing I checked them. I think I’m going to change oil after another drive. Another great 45 miles today, trouble free. I have 110 ish miles since last oil change. I will double check the valves again soon. I will have to check timing, I’ve just been using the timing marks, I should probably at least check it with timing it with a light. I need to make a tuning session like you say. Yeah, I do get distracted sometimes Laughing I might go through everything tomorrow.

Today I got a bit of rust repair done

Old tires

New tires

So volks-gyser erupted for the first time yesterday Rolling Eyes so I’m at the back of the car car and I hear this loud rushing noise, I walk to the front of the car and the washer line blew out.

Uh oh, Joann’s tires got taken! Laughing

At my Grandma’s house fixing things

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I forgot to mention yesterday the turn signal switch piece broke again and is shorting the horn circuit again once and a while Brick wall I also got the seat tracks on the seat cleaned, I had to file all of the rust out of them, but they move now Dancing The first time I took seats out months ago, I had to pound them out with a rubber mallet. The driver’s seat took a block of wood and an engineers hammer or a sledge hammer, it was that seized.

Today I got the roof rack on, thanks to dimensions I got from old_man for it, thank you! It was nerve racking drilling hole into the roof. I messed up on one hole Embarassed , it is covered by the foot/stanton at least. It looks so good on there though Cool

Then I got some of the carpet installed, it looks so much better in Joann now. The original carpet is in pretty good shape, the floor mats that they used helps a lot. I didn’t put it all in since there is still some rust repair left.

I went to my grandmas house today again to pick up a apple pie in Joann. I took my grandma for a ride, she really liked it.
Joann had her first gas pump fill up today in at least 44 years, $1.54 ish I think a gallon. I did add octane booster to the low grade to get around/ above 91 octane along with lead additive. I will start tracking mpg. My new fuel sender comes in Saturday so I will actually know the level of gas in Joann. A lot of people wave, give a thumbs up, or nod. At the hardware store next to the gas station, a guy was asking about it. He knew enough to ask if it was single or dual port. I had to get a few more screws for the roof rack.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

These are the screws that I have for my feet. I forget the length of the few in the slats that penetrate the roof.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Thank you old man! The screws did help pull up the roof. It looks much better now.

Sorry the photos are so dark. I still need to get a new foot/Stanton for the roof rack since the one is broken. I could try to recast one. If it’s pot metal, next time I go to the junk yard get a bunch of pot metal pieces Laughing No work on Joann today, our family went hiking
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Not much to update on. Been driving it a lot. 350 miles so far.

The pictures are just at a nearby town hall.
I got the cooling bellows fixed, there was a gap, I tried using an old one since the stiffness seemed like a good idea, it wasn’t. Confused I changed oil again, it was dark, I pulled the drain plate and there was a lot of dirt, no metal in it, not magnetic. I’m hoping there isn’t any more in the rest of the system. I’ve just been doing cleaning things on it. I need to still finish a few weld repairs, clean and repack CV joints and rear wheel bearings. I will do the adjustments you were talking about Bobnotch I looked in the Bentley manual and see what you are talking about. The turn signal broke again Evil or Very Mad I took the spring out. I may need a new switch, also, a plastic piece I used for the high beam, I found in the steering column and put on, I’m not sure if that was what it is for, now the high beams flicker back on and off on right turns. At one point last night the blue warning light for high beams switched to come on on low beams and went off for high beams after using it for the right turn Exclamation Shocked After I turned the headlight switch off and on again it resolved itself Confused I don’t know if it had anything to do with what came next.
I learned a really good lesson last night on why you don’t use cheap parts... So last night I was driving, 10:30, in farm fields in the pitch black dark, I had my high beams on after the warning light decided to flip to low. Going down the road, the lights went out! I flipped the switch the low beams and got those. I drive slow to the town hall. I stopped, got out and looked at the fuse box, immediately I see a white spot on the fuse box cover of the high beam portion, I replaced fuses and all was well, the filament was fine, the plastic part of the the fuse melted, both of them! I didn’t think it was possible to screw up making a fuse but they did Evil or Very Mad

Here’s some hail that hit our area some were golf ball size

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
the plastic part of the the fuse melted, both of them! I didn’t think it was possible to screw up making a fuse but they did Evil or Very Mad

You can get fuses that are ceramic instead of plastic.

Good news is you can also get new turn signal switches. Lots of different part numbers out there, not sure exactly which one you need.

The high beam thing may be related. On my Type 3, yours may be different as VW liked to changed the wiring layout every 4-5 months, the high beam is operated by tempoarily grounding the realy. You may have something grounding itself back there.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:
the plastic part of the the fuse melted, both of them! I didn’t think it was possible to screw up making a fuse but they did Evil or Very Mad

You can get fuses that are ceramic instead of plastic.

Good news is you can also get new turn signal switches. Lots of different part numbers out there, not sure exactly which one you need.

The high beam thing may be related. On my Type 3, yours may be different as VW liked to changed the wiring layout every 4-5 months, the high beam is operated by tempoarily grounding the realy. You may have something grounding itself back there.

Yup, we some of that hail yesterday, almost looked like it snowed.
Yup, ceramic fuses were the norm. You just have to look for them.
Same with turn signal switches. I your case you'll be looking for the 68-70 style. Should be the same as a bug.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I will work on getting ceramic fuses. Bad news today. I went to start Joann, she wouldn’t start, we had gone on the first drive into town today to my parents office and back, and we were going to drive out to the cabin later. Anyways I noticed the fuel pump wasn’t running Confused Mad so I pulled the single connection in the engine and grounded it it the fuel pump ran Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall d'oh! I cycled the ingnition and the pump came on twice in a row but didn’t come back Mad So I decided to try to fix the original Joann computer. A transistor/diode, not sure what exactly but it fell out of the box, three wire, one of the terminals for it went to terminal 19 on the plug in, so that may be the issue there, the wires on it corroded off on it. The part # is BSX95S and then perpendicular to it was N19, I can post a picture up. So if I can get a new one I possibly can repair the computer.
Another of my questions is can you just ground it so it doesn’t go through the computer and runs constantly when the ignition is on? What is the need for that pump ground to be controlled by the ECU? I know I could get a computer but the issue seems that the foam disk under it that seems to possibly trap water and cause the wires to corrode.

Another is my dad wanted to put in a stereo system in and made a set up and we put it in back, could that of done it?

Also, do you still follow the glove box sticker for tires pressure for radials? Or what do you use?

Thanks for the help, Joann seems to not like the fuel pump circuit to work Mad
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Here is the transistor, it is BSX95S and then perpendicular to that number is N19. What does the N19 designate? The other transistors that say BSX95S on the computer have different designations like N10, F10, and the N19

Yes, I know you’re not supposed to work on the computer internals but I figured what is there to lose since it’s broke, it was the “original” one in Joann when I got her, I haven’t touched the computer that went out today. So that leads me to the next part, it’s a “D” type computer, and my car is a 5/70 so shouldn’t it be a “C” type originally? So if that’s right, that means the computer has been replaced before? Exclamation I found a BSX95 NTE transistor equivalent but the designation it’s missing the “s” on the BSX95S and different second designation. Anyone know if that’d work? Or have you tried to replace this transistor?

Thanks for the help.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Okay, I feel bad and a little stupid Laughing DQDan, when you sent me the brain, I thought you had sent me a “B” brain for my motors to get one of them running. I didn’t realize you had sent me a “D”. I was just thinking about your comment in the thread earlier asking if it was the brain that you gave me was one that went bad, so I went up and checked and chipped the paint off the letter and realized it’s a “D” brain, so I will try that tomorrow. Thank you again for the parts! In the idiot manual it says you need to get a different temp sensor if you use a “D” brain on a “C” system. Is that true? I will check part #s if so.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Okay, I tried the computer and the fuel pump circuit worked! Yay! Then I started it and it ran rough and the car started shaking itself to death it seemed like. So I put the bad computer in and grounded the pump, and it ran like normal again. So I think I will try to take the transistor out of the computer from DQDan and put that one in the “original” Joann computer. Are the “C” computers crap because the the brain in Joann and the brain from the Junkyard ‘70 had both been replaced with a “D” computer. Thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 32

Jump to: