Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Turns out it was not an exhaust leak. I found out that the nuts on the intake runners on the 3/4 side had loosened up. I snugged them back up and there was not more air leak and noise. I also took the time to adjust valves after it cooled off, check dwell and timing. The timing and dwell were spot on still, I don’t think they could have been much closer to perfect. The 3/4 side valves all needed to be tightened a little bit. I think last time I must have had the feeler gauge crooked when checking. They were off by .001-.002. I’ve been setting the valves at around .006 as in the idiot manual. Should I be using .004? It seems to go both ways.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Should be .006" for all valves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

vintagecarleds wrote:
Should be .006" for all valves.

Thanks!

I just looked at the rust on the front frame fork. I’m going to stop driving it after I run through this gas tank and drain it down. I will try to get it fixed over spring break once I get the piece. And thank you for the parts DQDan. I think I will be down April 5-6
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Well Joann got a big order of parts, a lot of $ in rubber. I got a complete rubber bushing subframe kit, spring plate bushings for the suspension as mine are clapped out, engine mounts, and outer window scrapers as mine are toast. All the rubber mounts on this car are either worn out or split. I have seen a lot of split mounts so this kit will be nice. I will be busy over spring break Very Happy
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

don't forget to treat the rubbers to expand lifetime!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

andybla wrote:

What would you recommend treating it with? Armor All?

I washed and waxed Joann today, just a nice photo
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then here is the paint. It is the worst on the hood and it is peppered with these little dots of missing paint. There are these little bumps on the paint and they Sometimes will come off revealing a spot of primer. Has anyone else had this happen with original paint? It’s like the car got mist droplets of something at the factory that is cause the paint to let go in these small dimples about the same diameter as an end of a paper Clip.

andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

i don't know what your options are over the water, but i guess any with good reference will do Smile

here i'm going to use "nextzett gummi pflege" as i read that it should be good..
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
andybla wrote:

Do not use Armor-All on anything.

I've had decent luck with something called Aerospace 303 when it comes to rubber and plastics. I would research what you are trying to accomplish and come to your own conclusions though. Me, personally, I wouldn't bother with any of it with subframe mounts, suspension bushings, and what not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:
andybla wrote:

Do not use Armor-All on anything.

I've had decent luck with something called Aerospace 303 when it comes to rubber and plastics.

This right here is true. Aerospace 303 baby! Cool

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Engine and transmission out. Getting ready to drop the subframe...

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Today I got the subframe out, took it apart, got the grinder out and put a wire wheel on it. I got off all the rust and then I primed and put undercoat on it.

My ISP order showed up today and I got all the bushings, mounts, and gas tank filler rubber piece.

Yesterday when I pulled the inspection cover off of the tunnel, it was packed with mice nest.

Then I discovered something very, very scary. The one bolt that holds on the control arm had backed itself out on the right side 1/2 and inch and there were barely any threads left holding it on. The factory peenning failed I guess and it started to come out. It was very loose. It looks like it backed out during its early years of use based on the rust. How it should be if the first picture below, the second is how much it backed out. Scary think it might have come out while driving.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Yesterday I got the subframe put back in yesterday. Finding Talcum powder was a bit of a challenge. It’s not in stores, but my aunt had some old stuff laying around. I didn’t get any pictures of the subframe in though. I did measure the spring plates before I took them out though.

Here’s an old vs new comparison

Sadly, I won’t be able to do any work on it for the next week
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Interesting. I always used 50/50 dishsoap and water to get bushings on. Let me know how the baby/talcum/foot powder works out.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Interesting. I always used 50/50 dishsoap and water to get bushings on. Let me know how the baby/talcum/foot powder works out.
The talcum powder worked out good. I used it since that is what it says to use in the manual.

I got to meet DQDan this weekend, very nice to meet him, a great guy! He has a cool collection of VWs. A big thanks to him for the frame head and front axle beam! They are going to help a lot! Thank you so much!

Today, I got the torsion arms, spring plates, pads and a new wheel cylinder in today when I got home from vacation. It turned out one of my wheel cylinders had seized up completely Embarassed Luckily I had a spare T3 one to put on to replace it. I got all the subframe, spring plate and torsion cover bolts torqued to spec.

I had to cut the end off of my 17mm Allen wrench so I could use it on a socket to get the proper torque on it for the torsion arm.

Here is the subframe by itself with all of the new bushings installed

I found that using a jack worked good to get the spring plate on the stops. I had to add extra weight since the engine wasn’t in yet to weigh the car car down enough.
then assembled and some rust I discovered under the rock guard put on by the factory

New brake parts on with wheel cylinder and pads

Then a bolt broke and the picture gives you a glimpse into the fun. My old friend the T-handle+welder was back Rolling Eyes Laughing

Aiden
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I got the broken bolt drilled out and tapped. I got the cover plate on, and the transmission and engine in. I still have to adjust the mounts.

More mice nest, I had to take the fender off to drill out the broken bolt.

Then the cover on

Here is a comparison of the motor mounts

I put the brakes back together and found one had started to abrade away.

DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

It was nice to meet you and your Dad, Aiden! He really is a 16 year old kid and he's got a great head on his shoulders. In my line of work I meet 100's of teenage kids (sigh) but none of them have ever had their act together like Aiden! If he was closer I'd pay him good money to work on my cars!
Keep it up, kiddo!
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

You wrote : " I found that using a jack worked good to get the spring plate on the stops. I had to add extra weight since the engine wasn’t in yet to weigh the car car down enough."

Is that what the bags of ???? are doing in the back of the car in the photo ????? When I saw them, I wondered why they were there, then when I read on further, I realised what they probably were !!!!!!
I had the same problem, but never thought of putting sacks of ??? cement ?? Horse manure ???? in the back !!!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:
It was nice to meet you and your Dad, Aiden! He really is a 16 year old kid and he's got a great head on his shoulders. In my line of work I meet 100's of teenage kids (sigh) but none of them have ever had their act together like Aiden! If he was closer I'd pay him good money to work on my cars!
Keep it up, kiddo!

It was nice meeting you too! Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it. I would definitely help out if I was closer! Thanks again for the parts, I will hopefully be welding in the new front frame piece today.

Qldelsie wrote:
You wrote : " I found that using a jack worked good to get the spring plate on the stops. I had to add extra weight since the engine wasn’t in yet to weigh the car car down enough."

Is that what the bags of ???? are doing in the back of the car in the photo ????? When I saw them, I wondered why they were there, then when I read on further, I realised what they probably were !!!!!!
I had the same problem, but never thought of putting sacks of ??? cement ?? Horse manure ???? in the back !!!!

Laughing They are 60lbs bags of cement. I had to use 4-5 and my dad to stand on the rear bumper. It took a lot of weight since there was no engine or transmission in.

Aiden
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Qldelsie wrote:

Laughing They are 60lbs bags of cement. I had to use 4-5 and my dad to stand on the rear bumper. It took a lot of weight since there was no engine or transmission in.

Aiden

Hey, sometimes you have to do what you gotta do. I don't know if a ratchet strap would have pulled it enough. I've found having the engine and trans do make it easier.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Hey, sometimes you have to do what you gotta do. I don't know if a ratchet strap would have pulled it enough. I've found having the engine and trans do make it easier.

Yep! A ratchet strap would not do it. The jack I use to put in the engine was holding up the car at the time so I couldn’t put it in.

Today I finished buttoning up the engine, I adjusted the motor mounts and got them torqued down. I hooked up the electrical. I figured before I hooked up the shift coupler I would clean up the shift rod and replace the bushing. I had a spare from the bus. It is so much easier than on the beetle to replace.

Then I pulled the front axle beam and the rust is bad

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 32

Jump to: