Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I didn't have any bags of cement, and my engine and trans were out, so I bought a short length of good chain and a little turn buckle like they use on wire fencing, and was able to turn it until it all slotted back together.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
I didn't have any bags of cement, and my engine and trans were out, so I bought a short length of good chain and a little turn buckle like they use on wire fencing, and was able to turn it until it all slotted back together.

Interesting method! That would work well too.

Today I cut out the some of the rust and inspecting what all needs to be replaced. It looks like there is an inner structure to the frame head. I might replace to the spot welded seam.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Aiden, this pic might give you an idea of what you're seeing (depending on how the donor was cut off). I hope it helps.

Sorry no pics of the inside of the frame head.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Thanks! I got some pictures today of it.

Today I cut upset the donor frame head, I drilled out the spots welds and cut out near the middle.

Then I cut out the same part out of the frame head on Joann

I also have to repair the inner piece. I marked up the plan

It was a good thing I’m repairing the frame head as it was toast
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Your pics remind me of those from my 71 Notch, as the frame head and the beam were badly rusted out. That's why I posted that pic above of just the tunnel without the frame head on it, as it was in the middle of getting replaced. I believe yours looked more solid than what I started working on. Surprised Looks like you're making great progress with it. Should be nice and solid by the time "spring break" is over. Cool At least the weather has been cooperating. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Your pics remind me of those from my 71 Notch, as the frame head and the beam were badly rusted out. That's why I posted that pic above of just the tunnel without the frame head on it, as it was in the middle of getting replaced. I believe yours looked more solid than what I started working on. Surprised Looks like you're making great progress with it. Should be nice and solid by the time "spring break" is over. Cool At least the weather has been cooperating. Laughing

I hope it’s in better shape than your notch was! Laughing I didn’t want to cut the whole frame head off as I’d be concerned of getting it aligned. Thanks! Spring break ended Monday sadly Crying or Very sad but I should finish this weekend and ready for next week for the SAT, ACT, and Mstep testing, something to make the week better Laughing
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Keep up the good work, I'm impressed with your welding and body repair skills!

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
Keep up the good work, I'm impressed with your welding and body repair skills!

Thank you! I’ve gotten a lot of practice from my VWs! Laughing

Today I got the rusted area fixed that goes to the inside, the one the foot rest attaches to. I cut it along the edge of the support piece and welded the donor metal in from DQDan, thanks again for that. I welded it from the backside first and then on the inside.

Then I ground off the rest of the OG the bottom piece and got most the rest of the old chunks off. Then I cleaned up the rust and primed it.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Today I finished trimming up the lower frame piece and got it welded in. I had to use a few clamps. I also got it painted. Front axle beam should go in tomorrow

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

The frame head rebuild looks good. Nice thick clean metal is always the easiest to weld (even over head). Wink Laughing Nice job on the structural part of the repairs. Should last a long time now. If you were old enough, I say you've earned that cold beer. Laughing Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

That looks awesome Aiden!!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
The frame head rebuild looks good. Nice thick clean metal is always the easiest to weld (even over head). Wink Laughing Nice job on the structural part of the repairs. Should last a long time now. If you were old enough, I say you've earned that cold beer. Laughing Cool

Thank you! Welding over my head is no fun Mad grinding and cutting was actually probably the worst part of it. Root beer I guess Laughing
DQDan wrote:
That looks awesome Aiden!!

Thanks you!

Today I didn’t get any photos, I got most everything back together today. I took it for a test drive and all went well. A few things need adjustments still but I will drive it to school tomorrow for the last day of school for a while. Out of the blue on Friday the school announced that they were shutting school down again for two weeks.

Aiden
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I forgot to mention yesterday that I regreased the steering box before I put everything back together. I cleaned and blew out all of the old grease, it was nasty. Some of it was still the original yellow grease and some was was water brown crap. I put wheel bearing grease in, not corn head *gasp*. I adjusted it the steering box better and it is nice and tight, it turns nice and smooth.

Today I drove it to school. The brakes felt a little soft but it turned out one of the rear shoes needed to be adjusted, it was way out. I had to adjust the clutch a little. The accelerator pedal was a little too tight and I had to loosen the cable up. I put the front bumper on. Between when I took it off and put it on, the horn stopped working. I had to rob one off my bus and luckily that worked, but it is a deeper sound, I will probably find a T3 or beetle horn that is a high pitch, of all things, the change in pitch just bothers me Laughing I took it on the high way and there are much less vibrations. I also rotated tires today.

A big thanks to Duncan and his company Vintage Car LEDs for sponsoring my build with some LED headlights. I’m super excited for them!

You can see how much more worn out the one rear tire is than the front.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I forgot to add pictures of everything back together, I will get one added. Here are the comparison of the OG headlights vs VintagecarLED headlights. The headlights went in well, the hardest part is getting the seized together headlight assemblies apart. They are much brighter. I will post up some videos tomorrow. The headlights will be a big help where I live since there is very little light pollution/ street light and tons of deer. Even tonight with them out of adjustment, it was better visiblity. Thanks Vintage Car LEDs Very Happy
Before: low then high

After: low then high

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

They look nice and bright, are they street legal? as the seem to be all over the road. For off road use, they look awesome!!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
They look nice and bright, are they street legal? as the seem to be all over the road. For off road use, they look awesome!!

They are “off road use only” but I shouldn’t have any issues. They are also adjusted too high since I went too high when I adjusted them. Thanks! They are great!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I drove Joann to the junkyard today, it went pretty well. The only issue was I got a mile from my house and the speedometer cable started screaming, I just had to put some oil in it. It happened a few months back too. But the strange part is, is that you have no forewarning and you will be driving down the road at 55 mph and it will start a deafening scream that wont go away unless you are under 20 mph. But I oiled the cable and all was happy in the world and it didn't scream at me again Laughing

Here are some picture and parts,

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

nice score! some people would pay big chippies for the z handles!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
nice score! some people would pay big chippies for the z handles!

Thanks! The Z-handles are a gift for DQDan for giving me the frame head. I have a friend with a pair of pristine doors with Z-handles and a hood I may buy as a set for $75. He also has a lead on two green Sqaurebacks that are $500 for the pair and one is an auto trans...

Aiden
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Awww man Aiden those Z's look FABULOUS!!! I'm so excited!! Guys, I'm gathering parts for my 66 build and I've got most of the stuff I need but the Z door handles have been elusive. I've chased dead end leads out of New York, and the classifieds had a couple but when I inquired I was told someone had bought them. When Aiden came and picked up his (free) bulkhead and front cross member he kindly asked if there were any parts I needed. I smiled and said the only thing I could not find was a pair of Z shaped arm rests. He told me there was a junkyard near him and he thought he recalls seeing one there. I was skeptical but hopeful, and then he shared a pic he had of one of them in a pretty rough pile. Wow! There it is!! he even said he thought there was a second. I've been waiting patiently to see what shows up and those babies look spectacular!! Wooo Hooo! Aiden let me know what I owe you, for shipping or whatever and we'll get them moving. I'm sure someone else will chime in and let you know what they are worth... to me they are priceless!! My karma helping you out looks like it has paid me back!! Thanks Much Kiddo!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 32

Jump to: