Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery Post Bolt trouble
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

Today I messed up.
I wanted to add an eyelet connector to those already attached to the POS terminal in my 1990 Westy. Simple enough, unless you cross thread the bolt the eyelets are held by Crying or Very sad

Anyone know where I can get a new bolt?
See photo. Stripped bolt was in large square end.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

It looks to be no longer available but,

VW part number N0174071

Mark
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

Any ideas about best plan for my problem?
Do not want construct a new battery terminal, with a new distributor terminal.

Maybe an extender? If there is room? like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQBNJ4/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Or maybe I upsize the ring terminals to simply slide onto the current bolt?
Or maybe I find a shop to drill it out and re-tap it?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

Put a Dremel onto your Christmas wish list and take care of this your self

The Dremel will cost less than the shop, and you will learn how to fish forever
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

I'd guess a 15 minute fix. Clamp in a vise. Drill it out from the other side so it unscrews as it is drilled. Try cleaning up the threads from the back side with an M6 tap. If not good enough, tap it oversize to 1/4-28, or M7 if needed.

Send it to me if you can't find another way. I'll fix it or send another in it's place.

Mark
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

I went a different way courtesy of someone here posting about MIL-Spec battery terminals as a replacement kit for stock ones that are worn, loose, or in my case, had split in half and was luckily still hanging onto the Negative Battery Post enough for my Vanagon to keep running. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I bought mine off Amazon, both Negative and Positive. I'll try to post a link in a bit, very beefy and they allow you to add eyelets/wires easy enough. Comes with protective boots for the cable ends as well and eyelets to crimp onto your stock cables once you remove the old terminal ends.

In my case, I was replacing the entire Ground cable with new, and will shortly replace the Hot/Battery cable and install that new terminal as well.

Fastronix Military Spec Battery Terminal Top Post Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X36RILW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_p7saEb1S5YDS5

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto

Last edited by jlrftype7 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

Ultimate battery Terminals.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/battery-terminals/sp/ultimate-positive-battery-terminal/

Merry Christmas

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

D@mn . . . those ^^^ look absolutely bombproof... Shocked Twisted Evil

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Ultimate battery Terminals.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/battery-terminals/sp/ultimate-positive-battery-terminal/

Merry Christmas

If replacing. I played with a bunch of konceptz style terminals and landed on these military style terminals. They are flat to fit under the lid, inexpensive, heavy duty and have many approach angles for attachments.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NW_728222

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

If you don't have any luck PM me your address and I'll send you one. I've got some extras.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

Hey rmcd I like what you did. Did you just cut off the connector from the battery to starter cable and crimp on the new connector?
They way mine is now, I can't shut the battery compartment lid anymore.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

Here's another battery clamp failure mode:

That was on the underside, so it wasn't very obvious

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
Hey rmcd I like what you did. Did you just cut off the connector from the battery to starter cable and crimp on the new connector?
They way mine is now, I can't shut the battery compartment lid anymore.

Basically yes. I probably should have replaced the a couple of the oem cables but given all the other stuff just decided to solder/crimp new terminals where possible. I also had new cables to connect to house battery, small car AC, and new ground cable.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

I like that battery your using rmdc. I really like the fold down handles but it shows that it will not fit an '86 Vanagon when I look it up. Looks fine in your van, did you have to do anything to make it fit. Thanks, GreggK
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

Battery terminals always seem to be wildly neglected, at least on all the POS' I buy, ha! I do as others above have done though, and use the military style terminals. They work anywhere and are easily adaptable to suit your needs. On some installs, I've even used bicycle seatpost skewers as the quick release mechanism. A nice option if you find yourself undoing terminals frequently.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
I like that battery your using rmdc. I really like the fold down handles but it shows that it will not fit an '86 Vanagon when I look it up. Looks fine in your van, did you have to do anything to make it fit. Thanks, GreggK

It doesn’t fit with modifying the cover hinge and notching the seat frame. Not super crazy or difficult. I will eventually notch more of each as I don’t like the cables being so close.

Tomorrow I can take more pictures at a different angle if want.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

Sure rmcd show some more pictures. I'm getting ready to replace my battery and set up my AUX battery as well. I've been struggling on the cold morning starts with my recently added diesel motor so I thought something with higher CC amps than the 41 series might help. Thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

What would be nice is a sturdy plastic cover for the battery box. Something that locked into place well and that could withstand substantial abuse. The cover should give decent clearance for typical the H6 battery and of course work with all factory seats.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

I trimmed the hinge and bent it up at a 45’ angle to widen the opening.

I trimmed down the cover plate To accommodate the new swivel. I glued and riveted a piece of 1/8” plastic to the underside.

Then I reinstalled the modified cover with new rivets in the hinge.

Hope this helps.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Post Bolt trouble Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
What would be nice is a sturdy plastic cover for the battery box. ... The cover should give decent clearance for typical the H6 battery and of course work with all factory seats.

Not especially sturdy, but an effective light-duty way of providing some coverage/protection of a Group 41 battery and connections. Made from a simple hanging file folder tote.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: