Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I get my front seat brackets out?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: How do I get my front seat brackets out? Reply with quote

I'm trying to install new Scat Procar seats in my 76. The new seats come with their own 3-point mounting brackets that bolt in, so I need to remove the current ones. There are currently old Scat seats in there, but I don't know if the mounting bracket is stock or an old Scat adapter. There is a pin at the triangle riser in the front, but they seem to be welded to the floor pans at the two rear contact points. I can't find any bolts underneath, and there is no screw inside the open tube part that is closest to the floor. Do I have to cut them out? Very little information on this topic could be found on Google or in a cursory forum search. Thanks for any advice you can offer

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get my front seat brackets out? Reply with quote

The triangle riser or hump is the only stock part of the mounting bracket left. If those mounting brackets don't mate up with your new Scat seats, you'll most likely have to cut the old ones off and weld on the new ones.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get my front seat brackets out? Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
The triangle riser or hump is the only stock part of the mounting bracket left. If those mounting brackets don't mate up with your new Scat seats, you'll most likely have to cut the old ones off and weld on the new ones.

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I don't weld--guess I'll need to find a shop to do this.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: How do I get my front seat brackets out? Reply with quote

We just removed these from a 74 Super that we are installing a set of Scat seats. Depends how good you are with a spot weld cutter. The pedestals are spot welded to the pan. Pretty hard to get them out without a couple unintended holes. We went a step further and removed the side rails. Honestly, if you know anyone with a small cheap MIG (one of thse $100 ones), the holes can be filled pretty quickly and easily. Then get yourself a Harbor Freight 4 1/2" electric angle grinder with a flap wheel (9.99 with coupon). You can clean up the welds and hit with some touch up paint. Not a huge deal.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: How do I get my front seat brackets out? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Honestly, if you know anyone with a small cheap MIG (one of thse $100 ones), the holes can be filled pretty quickly and easily.

Thanks for the tips. I just watched the video for this Harbor Freight flux welder.

https://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welders/mig-flux-welders/flux-125-welder-63582.html

Since I already know I'm going to need to patch some engine tins (was planning to use JB Weld), and now this repair has come up, I suspect a cheap welder is in my future...although it's too late to ask for one for Christmas!

Does the parts and tool list ever end on a classic beetle restoration? I suspect not. Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: How do I get my front seat brackets out? Reply with quote

virusdoc wrote:
I don't weld--guess I'll need to find a shop to do this.

A shop might not want such job - too much legal liability.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: How do I get my front seat brackets out? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
virusdoc wrote:
I don't weld--guess I'll need to find a shop to do this.

A shop might not want such job - too much legal liability.

This is a good point, since the seat mount probably plays an important part in accident survival. Any advice on how to do it securely myself? Should I plan on welding or bolting some angle iron all the way across the floor pans, and then bolt the mounts to that?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: How do I get my front seat brackets out? Reply with quote

I suspect that's why they left the seat hump on the first Scat seat mount. The floor is not that strong, just 18 gauge metal if your lucky. I always thought, if I was going to do this with a pair of after market seats, I'd want the frames attached to the tunnel and the rockers. Much thicker metal to hold the seat frame to.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: How do I get my front seat brackets out? Reply with quote

The pre 73 seat rails were spot welded to the pan. Yeah it was a fairly long strip, but if I was in a wreck in bug the last thing I would worry about are the seats ripping loose.

What I do for this application is find some large reasonably heavy fender washers and have then on the underside of the pan and bolt through them. If you are not comfortable with that, then go to Lowes or someplace and get some flat bar stock - like maybe 1/4" thick and a 2" or so wide. Run those across the the pan and bolt to them. Not the whole way across. No need to go under the tunnel.

Patching holes in the floor would not be a liability, but I could see where welding in seat brackets could be. But you will find plenty of uses for the small MIG. Keep it simple and cheap. Just get the rosin core. Having gas is much nicer, but it gets a lot more expensive. BUT do spring for a decent helmet. Makes world of difference. I started with a $50 Hobart "hood" and replaced it with the Hobart Impact (about $90). You can see the puddles - improved my welding 1000%. A flat copper paddle as a backer is nice to have to help you fill the holes but not needed.

Find some scrap metal to practice on and check out tutorials on your tube. Like many of us, I am self taught and its really not that hard to learn.

Once you get the welder and get comfortable, you will wonder how you did without it. And yeah, if you want to get fancy, you can upgrade over time. We have an Eastwood TIG and a pretty beefy Lincoln MIG at the shop...Kicking myself in the ass for giving a buddy the $99 MIG that I had. So many times it would be so much handier to have.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get my front seat brackets out? Reply with quote

That is definately a scat/procar seat bracket, at least the rail part is..... Looks beefier than what comes with the kits nowadays, otherwise.

You should NOT have to weld/remove welds. The procar kits are designed to be a 'fit in stock place' type of replacement. Unless the PO modified it further....which is always possible.

Put down the torch, grinders, welders for now.

It looks different from mine, but if it functions the same- you should have one "tensioning" bolt on each of the rear legs of the bracket which 'pull' a small metal plate which is slid inside the stock seat track rails. For the front, simply remove the retainer pin and it with let the front free.

Check out my thread for what I'm talking about and see if it is similar:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8800657&highlight=cnc#8800657
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: