Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jschwerdtfeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

Hey all,

I just had the Gowesty bigger brake kit installed along with the GW drum overhaul kit and stainless lines all around. The brake pedal is pulsing now (wasn't before), and the mechanics are telling me that it's the GW pads needing to break in or seat. I've had my fair share of break jobs done, though none this extensive and have never had a pulsing brake pedal after the job. I think something needs adjustment, or the new rotors are defective. The pulsing is most noticeable at the top of the pedal stroke and gets better as the brakes are applied.

Thoughts?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

If it didn't pulse before the big brakes, and the drums out back weren't changed, then that points to the new rotors. I agree, the pad break-in is not likely to matter, but go ahead and put 500 miles on them and see what it does. In the end, I think checking the run-out of the rotors using a dial indicator will tell the tale.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

You can pull up on the parking brake while driving slowly and if it pulses, that would point to it being the rear drums.
jschwerdtfeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

Both good suggestions, thanks!
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

The rotors should spin straight without the pads on. They show this on the VanCafe big front brake video. Got mine on straight no problem. When I took them off after a few years I had a bugger of a time getting one back on straight. Finally figured it out to pound it back on using a block of wood between rotor and hammer.
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

I had the same problem with a different big brake kit and rebuilt the rear brakes as well. My mechanic told me the same... but it didn't get any better. We replaced the drums and problem solved.

From what I understand if your brakes are pulsing suspect the drums.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

Mine pulsed before I installed my big brake kit, and it still pulsed after. So I replaced the drums and it was fixed. Presumably the GW rear brake kit you got included shoes, springs and cylinders. If so, maybe the new shoes don't conform well to the inside of the old drums (if they weren't replaced). Used to be that brake shops would machine the drums, then "arc" the linings so there would be no high/low spots or other unconformites.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

I had another unknown vendors bbk and newish rear drums from same. They pulsed.

I took them to a brake shop and had them turn the discs and drums.

Butter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

Did you also buy new drums from go westy? There are lots of reports of their drums needing to be turned before use. Not sure why they don't do that themselves before shipping them out, but maybe look into that if you bought gowesty drums.
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

GW has a note about their HD finned brake drums on the product page:
Quote:
Important Note: These new GoWesty black-coated drums are coated on all surfaces, including the friction surface the brake shoes rub against. You may experience some brake surging until the brake shoes have worn all the way through the coating and the material dissipates, a process that takes no more than a few days of regular driving.

I'm running these, and I have some surging or pulsing. I've been running them since late summer, but not that many miles. As noted above, there are reports that they may need to be turned down.
jschwerdtfeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

Looks like it's the rear GW finned drums. GW says they'll break in after 500 miles, so I'll try that 1st.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

By "break in" they mean they're making you use your new brake shoes to wear away the surface that they should already be turning themselves before they send them out to their customers. I wouldn't do that nonsense, I would just take them off and take them to a shop and have them turned.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

Typical GW.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pulse after Gowesty Bigger Brake kit install... Reply with quote

Yup - half baked crap.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: