Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb jetting? Car runs rough
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

I have a 61 completely stock, 1200cc motor with a 28PICT carb (not the 28PICT1). When I start the car and the choke is on the car idles and rev's up nicely, but as soon as the automatic choke kicks off it sounds like it is maybe misfiring (NOT positive not this), however, if I hit the throttle quickly it kinda sputters a bit before it revs up. If I slowly give it throttle it will Rev up.

The carb was cleaned, vacuum working, so I don't think there is a problem there.

I'm wondering if I should try a different main jet. Would that be the problem? What size jets should go on this carb?

Thanks
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

Does the accelerator jet/nozzle spray properly or kind of dribble when the throttle arm on the carb is pulled back??
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

Yes, I can see gas squirting in when I pull the throttle back.

It currently has the 55 jet in the carb. I tried a 60 and a 65, but there was no difference. As soon as I step on the pedal, it stutters until it hits a higher RPM. Once it gets to a high RPM it runs great. Only problem is on the lower RPMs.

Eric&Barb wrote:
Does the accelerator jet/nozzle spray properly or kind of dribble when the throttle arm on the carb is pulled back??
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:

Is the accelerator jet/nozzle aimed so it sprays between the throttle butterfly and carb throat wall, when that valve opens up?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
It currently has the 55 jet in the carb. I tried a 60 and a 65, but there was no difference. As soon as I step on the pedal, it stutters until it hits a higher RPM. Once it gets to a high RPM it runs great. Only problem is on the lower RPMs.

Which jet?? Guessing the pilot/idle jet, and that one only affect the idle, not the just above idle.

Accelerator jet/nozzle is supposed to inject fuel in the small RPM range when going from idle to main jet.

Main jet has more to with how much power you have once you stop pressing the pedal down anymore.

Air correction jet is supposed to at higher RPMs to lean out the flow of fuel from the main jet, by letting air bubble into the main jet fuel flow.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

It looks to be in the correct location. I looked at another carb I have. Here is sa picture.

Eric&Barb wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Is the accelerator jet/nozzle aimed so it sprays between the throttle butterfly and carb throat wall, when that valve opens up?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

So should I adjust the accelerator jet? I just read a manual on 28PICT. Doesn't look like the accelerator pump is adjustable.

Eric&Barb wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Which jet?? Guessing the pilot/idle jet, and that one only affect the idle, not the just above idle.

Accelerator jet/nozzle is supposed to inject fuel in the small RPM range when going from idle to main jet.

Main jet has more to with how much power you have once you stop pressing the pedal down anymore.

Air correction jet is supposed to at higher RPMs to lean out the flow of fuel from the main jet, by letting air bubble into the main jet fuel flow.

Last edited by txasylum on Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
It looks to be in the correct location. I looked at another carb I have. Here is sa picture.

Location does not matter, it matters if the squirt of fuel goes down the slightly open throttle valve.

That early of carb has no accelerator pump adjustment.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

You might need to adjust the choke some now that the weather has gotten colder.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

That's the question. How do I adjust it? What do I adjust.

thomas. wrote:
You might need to adjust the choke some now that the weather has gotten colder.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

You loosen the 3 screws holding the choke element and rotate it slightly (mark your initial position) so that is stays open longer. Here is the question though - once the car fully warms up (like after 5 or 6 minutes) is it the same or does it improve? If it is fine after fully warming, then yeah, adjust choke. If not, I suspect you still have crap in the carb.

BTW, is this a new problem or is the car new to you?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

It gets worse as the choke shuts off. I bought this car a few weeks ago and it came with this problem. I did take carb off and cleaned it.

andk5591 wrote:
You loosen the 3 screws holding the choke element and rotate it slightly (mark your initial position) so that is stays open longer. Here is the question though - once the car fully warms up (like after 5 or 6 minutes) is it the same or does it improve? If it is fine after fully warming, then yeah, adjust choke. If not, I suspect you still have crap in the carb.

txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

Making progress. Took the carb off again inspecting and cleaning. Found the accelerator pump was blowing bubbles around the gasket. put another on there and it seems to have helped the problem. Not as bad. Going to adjust carb a bit more, maybe new plugs, points, condenser. Hope that solves it all.

txasylum wrote:
It gets worse as the choke shuts off. I bought this car a few weeks ago and it came with this problem. I did take carb off and cleaned it.

andk5591 wrote:

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
Making progress. Took the carb off again inspecting and cleaning. Found the accelerator pump was blowing bubbles around the gasket. put another on there and it seems to have helped the problem. Not as bad. Going to adjust carb a bit more, maybe new plugs, points, condenser. Hope that solves it all.

While you had the carb off, did you check if the accelerator jet shoots thru the throttle valve as it just opens?
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

Yes, I cleaned it up and made sure it was squirting fuel into the carb.

Eric&Barb wrote:
txasylum wrote:

While you had the carb off, did you check if the accelerator jet shoots thru the throttle valve as it just opens?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:

Eric&Barb wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Good, but is it AIMED properly???
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

I believe so. As it opens it should shoot down the tube, right? I'll have to verify that.

Eric&Barb wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Eric&Barb wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Good, but is it AIMED properly???
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
I believe so. As it opens it should shoot down the tube, right? I'll have to verify that.

It should shoot out the jet and down the throat of the carb. At the very bottom of the carb there is a butterfly valve that is just opening when you start pulling the throttle arm back by hand. That accelerator nozzle spray needs to hit right at that opening JUST as it opens. Not spraying on the side of the carb throat wall, not on top of that butterfly valve, or anywhere else.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

It does seem to be doing what you described.

Eric&Barb wrote:
txasylum wrote:

It should shoot out the jet and down the throat of the carb. At the very bottom of the carb there is a butterfly valve that is just opening when you start pulling the throttle arm back by hand. That accelerator nozzle spray needs to hit right at that opening JUST as it opens. Not spraying on the side of the carb throat wall, not on top of that butterfly valve, or anywhere else.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting? Car runs rough Reply with quote

Just when I thought it was starting to run better, well that was sitting in the garage. I just drove it down the driveway. Coming back up it I couldn't get it to run in second gear without a lot of sputtering. One thing I noticed as it sat running in the garage is that the intake frosts up. I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. Runs great when it is cold and choke is on. Once warmed up and choke kicks off is when goes downhill.

txasylum wrote:
It does seem to be doing what you described.

Eric&Barb wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: