Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SantaCruzMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

After installing a nice used engine in my 67 bus, I realized the flywheel on it was 6 volt. Obviously, with a 67, I have a 12 volt transmission.

The bus runs great with the replacement engine, but the 12v starter screeches like a banshee, and would soon be destroyed by a 6v flywheel.

I do, however, have a 6 volt starter. Would one of the following work, at least until the next time I pull the engine?

A. Install the 6 volt starter with no bushing and run the dang thing?

B. Have a machinist reduce the diameter of the 6volt starter shaft where it goes into the transmission so that it fits inside of a 12volt starter bushing?

Also wondering if I will have to change the clutch along with the flywheel?
Here are two photos: one of the new clutch and 6 volt flywheel that I installed, and one of the old 12volt clutch and flywheel in a dark corner of the shed...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

SantaCruzMike wrote:
After installing a nice used engine in my 67 bus, I realized the flywheel on it was 6 volt. Obviously, with a 67, I have a 12 volt transmission.

The bus runs great with the replacement engine, but the 12v starter screeches like a banshee, and would soon be destroyed by a 6v flywheel.

I do, however, have a 6 volt starter. Would one of the following work, at least until the next time I pull the engine?

A. Install the 6 volt starter with no bushing and run the dang thing?

B. Have a machinist reduce the diameter of the 6volt starter shaft where it goes into the transmission so that it fits inside of a 12volt starter bushing?

Also wondering if I will have to change the clutch along with the flywheel?
Here are two photos: one of the new clutch and 6 volt flywheel that I installed, and one of the old 12volt clutch and flywheel in a dark corner of the shed...

The trans doesn't care which FW you run...and the starter will chew the FW, not the other way around. And don't run a 6V starter in the 12V bushing!
Pull the engine back out, because as you know, it's EXTREMELY SIMPLE, and change the starter bushing to a 6V version if you're set on using the FW and not mucking around with setting end play on the 12V replacement FW. The starter will whine a bit and spin faster, but it will probably last a while. Really should just swap the FW and seal, re-set the end play, and run the proper starter/flywheel, done.
Oh, and yes, if all is typical, you WILL need a 200mm pressure plate and clutch disc.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

You could tap the 12v bushing and pull it out and tap a 6v bushing in. Then run the 6v starter on 12v. It wont be fun in the bus though. Should really just pull the motor and fix it right likely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SantaCruzMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

To be clear, I have a 12 volt transmission. So, I can't put a 6volt bushing in it without boring out the bushing hole to a larger size.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

SantaCruzMike wrote:
To be clear, I have a 12 volt transmission. So, I can't put a 6volt bushing in it without boring out the bushing hole to a larger size.

I think the hole is the same size, bushings are different inner diameter? Either way, ypu know what to do...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
SantaCruzMike wrote:

I think the hole is the same size, bushings are different inner diameter? Either way, ypu know what to do...

The bore is not the same size in the transmission case between 6v and 12v.
Op, you need to get a "12 to 6" bushing. They are thin and can be tricky to install, but that's what you need (as well as a 6v starter).
Upper right in this pic: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=323827
SantaCruzMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't know a "12 to 6" existed. I have a six volt starter, so it looks like the super thin "12 to 6" is all I need.

I'm sure they are delicate to install! I've cracked a standard 12 volt bushing (lower left) while trying to install it. The "12 to 6" (upper right) is even thinner.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/323827.jpg
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

Thanks fornthe clarification jon.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

Empi makes the bushings, probably others do too. There are several in the classifieds right now. Yes, they are thin and sorta delicate. Order 2 in case you damage one when installing it (or to have as a spare, they tend to wear more rapidly than other bushings).
Using a fully supported installing tool/bushing driver (one that fits inside the bushing while driving it in) helps a lot. A "regular" 6v bushing installer works.
Also, use sufficient grease on the starter shaft and bushing to help prevent wear.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

Don't worry, be happy. You can always push your Bus, then jump in to start.

Last edited by Wayne S. Johnson on Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
You could tap the 12v bushing and pull it out and tap a 6v bushing in. Then run the 6v starter on 12v. It wont be fun in the bus though. Should really just pull the motor and fix it right likely.

Not fun for the flywheel, starter or you when the tow truck bill is more than a Hybrid starter.

Flywheel after running a 6V starter on 12V.

Last edited by Wayne S. Johnson on Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

One can also bush the 6 volt starter gear to fit on the 12 volt starter shaft.

Big problem is if the 6 volt FW is the 180 clutch type and the engine is much bigger than a 1200cc the clutch will not last long.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
buseric wrote:
SantaCruzMike wrote:

The bore is not the same size in the transmission case between 6v and 12v.
Op, you need to get a "12 to 6" bushing. They are thin and can be tricky to install, but that's what you need (as well as a 6v starter).
Upper right in this pic: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=323827

I had no idea, either...I've only done 6 to 12's, so I always ASSumed the ID was the only difference. Embarassed
SantaCruzMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

Thanks Hazetguy!

Super helpful.
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

Just get one of these and forget about it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1890702
I've got one in my bus and it works great.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one's suggested installing a 12V solenoid on your 6V starter. Your "accident" was one of my favorite mods (for high compression engines) .. but retaining the 6V solenoid will ruin your flywheel teeth.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

I ran a 6v starter in my 12v panel for 20 years without any problems
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Accidentally put a 6v flywheel in my 67 bus. Any way to run it? Reply with quote

looks like it has the big clutch so good there.

There is a new starter that works on 12V or 6V FWs. It was in a 55 truck I bought which was 12V and had a 6V big clutch FW with a 12V tranny and 12V system. Not sure how it worked, but it did. I swapped a 12V FW onto that engine, and kept the 6V one for a different bus. I bought another starter just like it at Autozone. Short, which is nice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: