Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken wing window post, what to do?!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

Broke my wing window post on both of them! They we very rusty and soaked in PB blaster, but still snapped when I tried removing the nut. Any suggestions to fix? Without replacing the whole frame. Thanks, Brian
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

The wing window as a hole is available. I’d go with that instead of sourcing a frame and swapping the glass into it. Cool
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
The wing window as a hole is available. I’d go with that instead of sourcing a frame and swapping the glass into it. Cool

Yep, considered that Laughing
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

If it were me, I would buy a bolt, cut up to the base, Braze & flatten sides. Braze not weld
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
If it were me, I would buy a bolt, cut up to the base, Braze & flatten sides. Braze not weld

Thanks, was thinking the same thing. Braze, not weld, got it. Thanks man! Applause
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

Hows your window frames? I have 3 full sets w glass San Clemente
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Hows your window frames? I have 3 full sets w glass San Clemente

The frame is in great shape and was painted when I had the bus painted and I have the original glass, only broke the post😩
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

I once tapped the threads further up the post, and shortened the spring.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

Creative engineering makes a great alternative to the "WING" rubber. Glue it on let dry then install (with the Swoosh of course) no cutting it down.
If you decide to braze a thread on the wing, Bevel the hell out of it so you can grind it down to "Fit" correctly
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
I once tapped the threads further up the post, and shortened the spring.

yes, just spoke to a friend on the phone and he suggested the same thing! Will give it a try👍
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

Next time you find nuts that stuck, either get a nut splitter or use a hammer and chisel to do the same, but you need the nut against a hard place like an anvil to chisel it.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Next time you find nuts that stuck, either get a nut splitter or use a hammer and chisel to do the same, but you need the nut against a hard place to chisel it.

Great advice! Thanks!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

missmybus wrote:
Great advice! Thanks!

No problem. You can also use heat to loosen up nuts, bolts, studs. Welding and then cooling by pouring water works really well. Vibration can help when applying penetrating oil, then use a smaller hammer to rap on it for a few minutes each time before you apply the oil. In this particular spot, would have held a hammer to the backside of the nut away from you and with other hand rapped on the side closer to you. Rust is brittle and does not like physical or thermal shock. To do so results in the rust being broken up from a hard expanded plating (that makes the nut a pressed on fit) into dust.

Most of all you need to get a hand feel experience for how much torque to apply. If you are putting 30 Ft. Lbs. on a bolt/stud that is rated for only 20 Ft. Lbs, you are going to just break stuff like that.

Lastly if you have to loosen something like this up without splitting the nut, especially if you do not have the tools or time to wait for at least penetrating oil to seep in. Try tightening the nut FIRST ever so slightly (this helps to CRUSH the rust plating into dust in the threads), then loosen ever so slightly. Keep repeating this tightening/loosening till you feel the nut actually shift ever so slightly. Then apply more oil and little by little work the nut looser and retighten a little more looser each time. The shifting of the nut will help to get the oil down in the dry threads that would otherwise gall/weld the nut to the male threads.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

Do invest in a good anti-seize, especially for exhaust fasteners. You can use old used grease on most anything else, but anti-seize is better. That way if using one of those you have a good chance in 10 or even 20 years from now of just being able to undo a fastener that the grease or anti-seize has kept the rust away from the threads.
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Creative engineering makes a great alternative to the "WING" rubber. Glue it on let dry then install (with the Swoosh of course) no cutting it down.
If you decide to braze a thread on the wing, Bevel the hell out of it so you can grind it down to "Fit" correctly

👍🏼
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Braze & flatten sides. Braze not weld

Why braze and not weld?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Do invest in a good anti-seize, especially for exhaust fasteners. You can use old used grease on most anything else, but anti-seize is better. That way if using one of those you have a good chance in 10 or even 20 years from now of just being able to undo a fastener that the grease or anti-seize has kept the rust away from the threads.

Again, more great advice! Merry Christmas!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

missmybus wrote:

Merry Christmas!

Back at you!
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

Why braze and not weld?

This is really not a good application for brazing. Brazing is used when you have a fitted joint and the brass can be drawn in by capillary action.

Welding would be a superior choice here. O-A, MIG or TIG. Taper the ends to a near point, weld then grind.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Broken wing window post, what to do?! Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Riff Raff wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

Why braze and not weld?

This is really not a good application for brazing. Brazing is used when you have a fitted joint and the brass can be drawn in by capillary action.

Welding would be a superior choice here. O-A, MIG or TIG. Taper the ends to a near point, weld then grind.

That is what I was thinking too, similar to a repair I did on a split bus clutch pedal years ago, since finding a replacement can be a PITA.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: