Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

That’s great it went so easy, it took 1/2hr to do each split boot for me. Good work!
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ok yeah that looks better

started preparing a drum for paint

left these to soak

ive honestly given up at this point on the petals. i drilled the bushing like 4 times large than the original hole. applied pb blaster. heat. a puller. its not comming apart. time for a new one lol
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Was the old one sized on the shaft and not rotate? The one on my T3 didn’t. Sledgehammer wouldn’t move it, soaked it with Pb blaster, pounded it with some brute force, maybe a sledge. Then it broke free and was very stiff and had to pry it back forward with a 2by4. Kept going like this for probably 50 times before it was moving free. Still working Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Yeah I actually got the clutch and brake pedal to rotate round the shaft bug when it boils down to actually removing the pedals it's just not gonna happen.

Heres 17 dollars worth the wire wheels for the grinder. These are 5/8 in. Cheapest of the cheap. When I was shopping I saw some for like 80 bucks a chip.

The whole chassis has been taken down to bare metal. There are a few small corners I will have to get to by hand and sand paper but over all the wire wheels and grinder worked excellent!

Ugh, more touch up work to be done now.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

ok so i started sanding the corners i couldnt get to with 80 grit todat. that and i started straightning out the rear pan lip. had the clamp fall a foot and a half and whack me in the temple tho. dont worry, i didnt cry Laughing

this tool(whatever it is) worked well for getting the beginnings straight. but a flat edge and hammer were needed for final work.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Do you have a body tool kit? The one with hammers and backers? Like this https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/5...M4EALw_wcB
It’s decently cheap and will make your life much easier. Or a piece of cast iron you could use as a back like a front axle spindle?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

HF has a cheap hammer and dolly set. Since there is no brute force or moving parts, it works just fine.

Make sure to hide the hammers from your wife so she doesn't use one to drive nails. Twisted Evil
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

i'll note that for my future wife Wink Smile

unfortunately, i own most of the basic body working tools except the fenders/dollies! i have a few body working hammers if that what their called, which is what i used. but i will order some here within the next day or two. Thanks!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

The dollies make the hammers work. It's actually kinda therapeutic massaging the metal back to how it's supposed to be.

But just be careful what you hit with them. The hammer faces are much softer than a standard hammer. Hence all the divots in my square head body hammer from the nail heads!
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

unfortunately, i own most of the basic body working tools except the fenders/dollies! i have a few body working hammers if that what their called, which is what i used. but i will order some here within the next day or two. Thanks!

I bought a Harbor Fright set, useless. Later, when mentioning this to a body man, explained it's the balance. If need proof, here:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-right-body-hammer.172812/
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185782.

Craiglist and eBay sometimes have deals: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...;_sacat=0. Razz

Hope this helps. Smile

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

I bought a Harbor Fright set, useless. Later, when mentioning this to a body man, explained it's the balance. If need proof, here:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-right-body-hammer.172812/
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185782.

Craiglist and eBay sometimes have deals: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...;_sacat=0. Razz

Hope this helps. Smile

I am as much a professional body man as I am a professional golfer. I don't think a better set of dollies would give me much better results akin to a better set of golf clubs would bring my handicap into a decent range.

However, I have been pretty pleased with the results I have been able to get without any training with my cheap-o HF set. Plenty good enough for a hack like me!
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Coming along nicely. I am not a fan of body work to me it’s boring but got to be done so I will be tackling that when it gets warm. My main focus right now is getting it running. Smile
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

make sure you wear eye protection when using those wire wheels, they shed wires like a husky sheds fur in the summer.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

oh yeah. i use goggles, ear muffs, and gloves. no long sleeves either. had one wrap itself between my sock an my ankle. not fun.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Chickensoup I need you to put those wire wheels and stuff away and get busy on that LED headlight you promised to build for us. Laughing
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Chickensoup I need you to put those wire wheels and stuff away and get busy on that LED headlight you promised to build for us. Laughing

Wait a second now im building them for you guys? For FREE?? Laughing

I should have time tonight. im praying to god the bracket is a standard oval. otherwise its gonna take more work for the plastic version.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Help? Smile the seal is really suck in there

AND How the hell did that happen?

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Oh boy! First, those are T3 part #s on the bearing holders, not sure if that’s what it originally was and T3s could have switched earlier as bugs would sometimes adopt an advancement of the T3 a few years after its roll out. The one is clearly junk, is that a hole in it? The scar marks are bad but a hole other than the weep hole is awful. You could use a screwdriver ( Shocked ) or a piece of wood, melt it out, just don’t sniff it while it’s burning. Laughing
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

yeah its kinda hard to see but it looks like the end cap was run against a barrier at freeway speeds if that was even possible. this is the same cap from the side that was missing hlaf the backing plate Laughing

it cant be stuck if its liquid! Wink i tried the screwdriver. it says no no.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

success!

closer view.

You Michigan people have the worst kinda rust!! Smile I had to beat out the old wheel cylinder with a sledge hammer mounted in the vise. anyways, i will be restoring the backing plates while i wait on axle bearings(that never came, ended up getting a refund).

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 41

Jump to: