Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:
You will be so much more happy with the 1600 DP over the good ole 40 horse. I have driven my 40 hp bug and my dp 1600 Squareback and it’s night and day difference and the 1600 is so much more and puts the 40hp to shame. You will be much happier

I know right! i mean come on now, think about it..... 40HP Laughing Well... less than that stock actually.

40hp, 0-60 in ??? I think it take 1/2-3/4 of a mile to get to 60 with 40hp. If you live in the country with 55mph speed limits, a 1600cc gets you there a lot faster with 62.5% more power and it will be fun in a lower geared trans in a light car.

Looks good! Is you case painted black?

Are you still planning on doing a big power engine build eventually? Or just stick with the 1600?

Aiden

Nah it's just oil stained Smile and yes, I'm still building the 2180. And the 1385 although the 1385 is going bye bye once its rebuilt.

Today I did some more cleaning, and got the crank prepped and rods torqued down. Just need to remove the flywheel and replace the main seal.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

3d printed manifolds I'm working one

And a nice clean shop Very Happy
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

The manifolds look nice! Did the crank not need machining for the 1600? So at this point do you have most of the parts you need to finish the project? You have all the body panels right? For the heads did you do a valve job on them?

Aiden
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Nah this 1600 hurts to reassemble. It's not even a rebuild. Its more like clean everything and replace what you feel like lol. I haven't even measured anything.

All I need left for sheet metal are front fenders and a passenger side heater channel.

On the 17th I'm going to my local vw camping meet and I'm gonna have a friend help me get the front clip welded on. Maybe even the dents pulled. Very Happy

Oh, and my WW order arrived. Now I just need paint and rear shoes. I honestly cant believe I've made it this far in the restoration.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

The shifter rod bushing is in place and greased, along with the shifter assembly. I also sprayed one of the backing plates with oshpo.

Question, what happens when you weld over oshpo?

Parts came in

And the other axle bearing is now in place.

This is an origional rubber boot from my old 66 baja. It's in decent shape however it keeps sliding up when I move the shifter around.

Is there supposed to be a clip retaining it?

Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

There should be a lip around the bottom-inside of the boot, it should snap onto the flared mouth of the shifter bracket. But maybe the boot has lost its elasticity and grip.

I'm not so sure your boot is O.E. It does look like the boot on my '65, but our boots are sort of crude looking...somewhere, I have another boot that is far more refined, and lacks the parting line from the mold. I had assumed my boot was O.E., but now I'm not so sure.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

I think the bottom edge of the boot rolls into itself. I think there may be a plastic sleeve that goes on the rod that the boot can slide on.

Edit: this may help https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9352209&highlight=#9352209
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
There should be a lip around the bottom-inside of the boot, it should snap onto the flared mouth of the shifter bracket. But maybe the boot has lost its elasticity and grip.

I'm not so sure your boot is O.E. It does look like the boot on my '65, but our boots are sort of crude looking...somewhere, I have another boot that is far more refined, and lacks the parting line from the mold. I had assumed my boot was O.E., but now I'm not so sure.

Boot style "B" in Ceckert's link is the type I was referring to above ^ when I mentioned a more refined looking product. But it sounds like style "A" in that thread is more prevalent in later "early" Bugs.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. It seems mine is just wore out I guess is all. Although my car should of come with style B i assume since the 65 model year got grey ascents.

Rotating assembly is complete. Including new o ring and main seal.

And paint is ordered
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Well... This is humiliating.

My last welds were 20x better than these!

Was it the rusted metal?

the amps seemed ok.

or was it the dull/ bent tungsten?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

Question, what happens when you weld over oshpo?

I think You may have your answer Wink
Chickensoup wrote:

That sucks though
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

at least its sturdy now. Modok thinks it was the rust although the ospho burning probably gave me lung cancer Shocked Smile Sad

Short block 99% finished
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Paint yo
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Paint makes stuff look pretty so fast. Are you going to paint the chassis soon?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

The welds be ugly fugly as can be. But they functional. The issue I was having was the two pieces weren't sandwich together well enough. The drivers pan is gonna come out good I think.

Self tapping screws in order to bring the 2 pieces closer together. I removed them and filled the holes.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
The issue I was having was the two pieces weren't sandwich together well enough..

That is the part of floor pans that takes the most time... fitting the pans up flat to the tunnel. It took me several hours of trial and error bodyworking different areas of the pan lip to sit flat, and that's with clecos every 12" or so too. Your welds look ok, I think everyone knows once you grind down a weld it looks lumpy and weird NBD. You could stand to turn your power up a bit and leave the wire speed the same or a little less on the next side.

Keep it up!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Since you're tigging it, you can easily control the amount of filler rod you feed (pretty much everybody else MIGs this application), so you shouldn't have that buildup.

It's curious that you chose to fillet weld and didn't punch the flanges for plug welds...grinding flush would've been an easier prospect if you had.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

My bad, didn’t look closely at the torch setup. Disregard my wire feed comment
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

By the way, not to keep piling on, but that's a big-ass cylinder to have just standing around and not have strapped up to something. If something happens to knock that over and the regulator hits the ground just right, the stem could snap and you'll have an errant land-missile on your hands.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
By the way, not to keep piling on, but that's a big-ass cylinder to have just standing around and not have strapped up to something. If something happens to knock that over and the regulator hits the ground just right, the stem could snap and you'll have an errant land-missile on your hands.

I thought about that. But me be retarded and take much risks Shocked Smile didnt know how dangerous it could be tho. Next time I will strap it down the bench.

I chose/had to fillet weld because in several places there isnt enough meat on the chassis lip for me to be comfortable with.

And yes, I know my welding skills suck ass. I'm working on it tho.

Thanks

Well its official. Both pans are welded in. The drivers only took me 45 minutes total. And the filler went on so much easier.

I think another part of my issue is that the filler rod is too large. So by the time its melted I've already started to get the thin metal really hot.

Now I just need to weld in the jack mounts and the accelerator pedal bracket.

Btw, am I supposed to weld those dimples from the top side or drill holes and weld them from the bottom of the pan?

And and I got this. 15 bucks. Ouchie

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:

My buddies dad worked at Wheeling Pittsburgh Steel in Wheeling WV a long time ago. He used to tell stories about laying half full bottles in a culvert and dropping a cinder block on the valve and seeing how far they could shoot them down the Ohio river..

So ya, you might want to chain that bad boy up Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 41

Jump to: