Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

So, what’s the name of the car ? Or, did I miss that somewhere ?😀
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Hi. the name of the car is "Menace". which i named not too long ago. Idk it just stuck i guess. kinda describes my mentality.

my other car is called "pig pen". can you guess why? Laughing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittbull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Lovely project.
U doing an insane good job.
Keep it up, i'll be following this one
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

pittbull wrote:
Lovely project.
U doing an insane good job.
Keep it up, i'll be following this one

thanks for the kind words. today wasnt the best of days, so your comment is much appreciated.

take care!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Warning! blabering ahead!

no updates or progress to be posted. school starts up soon and by the time i get back home all ill have time for is just cleaning up the shop and fixing a few things on my passat.

I havent been thinking much about the car lately to be honest, but ive made the shopping cart for rubber seals for the body, the heater channel, headlight hardware, etc. meaning, once i finish the body work, i need to prepared for paint.

I know what type of paint and color i want. base coat clear coat, porsche aquamarine blue non metallic.

Ive already got the gun (decent HVLP), giant air compressor, filter, and then the small consumables pieces imma just have to buy later. And for the icing on the cake, ive got access to a friends paint booth. just need to help him seal the bottoms of the side panels.

ok enough w/ the boring stuff. I did decide to write today, because i have a question.

I will be laying down the paint myself which saves some money of course, but i would like to find a middle of the road quality paint line that doesnt coast a kidney and my wee wee.

let me help you to help me. im rhino coating the underside of my car, engine compartment, trunk, fire wall, and luggage tray. So i wont be using as much paint as usual.

like i said im wanting to do a basecoat clearcoat system. How many gallons should i need of each?

Primer?
sealer?
Top coat?
clear coat?

what kinds of paint are the upper class car brands using these days? any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
BorisGrishenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

I know what type of paint and color i want. base coat clear coat, porsche aquamarine blue non metallic.

Fantastic pick. They had some really great colours back in the 356 era.
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI - sold
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI -Dieselgate victim
2016 Golf 1.8
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Quote:
what kinds of paint are the upper class car brands using these days?
If you are asking about paint brands, at least one of the German luxury brands uses BASF-Glasurit or Standox. The high cost of those paints are suited for a pro spray booth with controlled ventilation and air filters. For your DIY approach, you'll probably find perfectly acceptable low-to-mid range paint brands for a much lower price. Have you considered "old-fashioned" acrylic enamel which is closer to the type used at the factory for the original paint?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Thanks boris. I agree it is a beautiful color.

Rome, I've noticed that many of the german cars lately, have a very durable paint applied at the factory. The silver on my 05 passat looks brand new aside from the scratches. And it's been sitting outside its entire life. The 04 mercedes looks decent too but has a little fade on the edges now.

A few months back, I looked at the glasuirt 22 line, but turned away after realizing a gallons is a 1000 bucks Shocked

I appreciate people who want to get closest to origional with single stage enamels but I really want this paint job to look good a long time. Plus, my car is nowhere near origional lol. I've been looking at the ppg omni line but everyone has told me that it's really thin and watery. Although I've been suggested tamco I think was the brand. That or limco or something. The prices aren't bad for the tamco stuff.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Ok, I said I want 2 stage base clear, but I dont want to be too ignorant.

So what are the advantages to a sine stage other than it being easier to spray and cheaper. Will I last as long? Corrosion resistance? Durability?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

ok Rome you were right. Single stage is a much better choice now that ive done some research. I think im going to try out Tamcos SS expensive line.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

i need an electric sender unit for my tank. where can i get one for my 65 tank? I checked cip1 but couldnt find one.

Just got home yesterday. cleaned up the shop, mounted the rear fenders. They are german and fit really well. need to fix the edges of the rear apron tho. Will post pics later.

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Regarding Paint i went Single with my 64. Why...

That was original and i was not after that deep look paint job. Also longevity wise i can buff it out quite a few times.

I did go for a mid-line grade paint and we put on 3 good coats. We also stripped the body down to bare metal to make sure we did not have too thick of paint nor any bad reactions with the old paint.

Anyways...

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I think SS will turn out nice on the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See, the corners of the aprons need re worked. Not a big deal tho. Want the fenders to line up better than new tho.

The metal under the running boards are really far gone. I think imma buy the 25% thicker than standard Mexican boards from city. And if they don't last long then I'll go with WW. BTW, whats the correct trim size for the running boards? The 30mm or 18? Thanks

Oh and I finished CADing the intake manifolds.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

I have zero experience with cad and even less with 3D printing but I have concerns about the captured nut design.

First, can the 3d printer print very tight angles like the walls where the nut would be captured? You would want the nut to be pretty tight in the pocket. If it's kinda loose, it would make my second point more important.

Second, if someone goes a little ham fisted and over tightens the bolt, and the nut pocket strips, your kind pooched. No way to get a wrench on the nut to hold it now.

I could be way off base. Maybe the plastic (or whatever medium) is used to print the casting is very hard, and it's not a concern? Just throwing something out there.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

hi,thanks for looking out. the typical 13mm nut, is 6mm tall. so i made the encapsulated depth only 4. it will be printing in nylon so it should be pretty darn strong. i plan on doing some testing tho. my printer is pretty bad ass, especially with the new software. much faster and more accurate than most. it will be a push fit if that makes sense. not quite press.

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

well, the chassis is back inside.

also well, i let rain seap into the master cylinder for 8 or so weeks. its fucked
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Bummer on the MC. I have my chassis all wrapped so i do not get any surprises.

What CAD package are you using? Nice work there.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Bummer on the MC. I have my chassis all wrapped so i do not get any surprises.

What CAD package are you using? Nice work there.

thanks!

im using ANSYs spaceclaim 2020 R2. ill be upgrading here soon. i just got the nylon printer finished. enclosed with the heater and all.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

so who makes fiberglass front fenders? filled turn signal holes is fine but horn grill holes is a must.

wil fiberglass flex less or more?

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
so who makes fiberglass front fenders? filled turn signal holes is fine but horn grill holes is a must.

wil fiberglass flex less or more?

thanks

Just look fiberglass front fenders in a general search. I’m assuming you want the full fenders. I saw this place and a few others https://markvfiberglass.com/stock-style-wide-fenders/

I would guess it would flex more but it could also depend on the thicknesses and quality like any thing else
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 41

Jump to: