Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Hood: Definitely try gently hitting the dents out with hammer + dolly. You can buy a cheap "contour gauge", set it for the curves/shape of the passenger side of the hood, then hammer to get the contour to match using the gauge. thank you, i will try this. looks like im going to HF here soon. but my lord!!, i cant believe how expensive early hoods are. even late early hoods.

From your 1st page:
Euro-spec Beetle would've had the 2-color tail lamp lenses. If you have them, keep them because the amber turn signal lens is more visible than the red colored US-spec ones. yes, unfortunately, what you see on the first page is what came with the car. i really like the look of euro spec tail light lense so if i stumble upon them, ill be snatching them up.

Euro-spec headlights- quite possible, but also likely they were converted to sealed beam US-spec when the car was first imported and underwent its state inspection. Don't try to find Euro-spec headlights. Just find good used German made US-spec ones and fit a good headlight unit to them.

Narrowed front beam? Why? That's money out the window. You can keep the Porsche 356-style 4.5" rims with the stock beam, unless you are buying front disc brakes that add width to the front axle. There is a kit available that is a "zero offset" disc brake kit but is offered only for stock-height front spindles. With such a kit you can keep the stock beam. Well, i figured since id be rebuilding the whole front beam that i might as well narrow it so i could go wider but after seeing a few pics of another 65 i like now im deciding.Oh, and i think you got a little confused. No way would i through money out the door buying a new narrowed beam. i agree and see that as a waist. Instead, i would be narrowing my own.

Your Euro-typical ignition switch at the right of the steering column is in sad shape. The key cylinder/back of the unit had detached and is hanging from the dash bottom by the wiring harness. Instead of trying to fix this or find another one, just fit a conventional US-spec Beetle ignition switch to the dash that goes into the hole to the left of the ashtray. Pull the harness up through the dash bottom and just fasten the wires to the US switch. Ill use the switch if it still works for now and find a new key face for it later. but if that fails, then that is a good idea although if your recommending cutting a hole in my dash then thats a no go.

You've probably realized that your engine lid is from a later Beetle; looks like a '68 or '69 but could be a '67 which has a different bulge shape. It'll work to get your car on the road and through inspection (if applicable) so that the engine is covered, but it looks really improvised. You can use a '64 or '66 engine lid. yes, im on a look out for a straight 65-66 decklid near me. will the licence plate lamp and handle on my 67 decklid be the same as a 65-66? i ask b/c if i find a bare decklid for a good deal then i could just swap them over assuming i havnt sold it by then.

Left rear fender: Hammer and dolly those dents out, then clean the cracked metal joint and weld a bead to seal it back up. added to the list. BUT WHY!!! why are the mexican fender so thin. it almost wants me want to throw them out and buy german ones. they will do for now though.

Engine: Will you be fitting a doghouse fan shroud and oil cooler? Engine case does not have the bolt insert at the upper left fastener location. If you use a doghouse, you will barely be able to get your hand/wrench in the narrow space between firewall and front of the shroud for the 17mm nut (M10 x 1.5 thread pitch). That's why VW cases for doghouse shrouds got those inserts so that you just had to slip the bolt in near the clutch arm and tighten it.

If you will be using a non-doghouse shroud, then you have no issues because you have plenty of room for your hand to get the nut onto the bolt. no, im using a dog house cooler and shroud.

Body color: Roof and right quarter panel do look like Fontana Grey, but the interior dash looks like Pearl White.
thats exactly what i was thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Ignition switch: OK, give the original lock a try to get it back together and working. You probably know that the original factory key code is found stamped into the driver's door handle? If you can't get the switch back together, you could buy an aftermarket VW ignition switch, widen the existing hole under the dash where the harness comes through, and mount it vertically. Won't be very ergonomic to use, but will save you from drilling a fresh hole in the dash to the left of the ashtray where the switch would normally be. I went back to look at your dash photos and noticed there really is no factory hole there for an ignition switch. Shocked

Engine: Doghouse shroud- best to buy this insert to press into the upper left mounting hole; or try to press one out of a spare case by running an M10 x 1.5 bolt fully into the insert and tap the bolt head. https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/engine-case-nut-insert-111199102/

Adriel- you're right about a '64 engine lid having a different handle than a '65- forgot about that even though I have a '64 lid outside.

Chicken- I'm not sure if the engine lid latch from the '67 is the same as needed for a '65, but my guess would be yes. And I'm confident that the lic. plate light would also fit a '65/'66 lid. The '66 lid has 2 or 3 small holes in the upper left quadrant for the factory "1300" emblem fastening posts. Thereby, '64, '65, '66, '67 are one-year only lids.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. It's really appreciated.
dont you just love it when your tired and forget to install a main bearing?? Lol

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is where I'm at today. Cleaned the heck out of the case bush brushed and solvent then started assembly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Your car appears much the same as my 1965 Bug. I bought mine in late 1973 from the original owner and got the invoice with the car.

The color was "L87 PearlWeiss".

Mine also had the locking steering column

Mine was bought new through a program that the invoice called "Fly And Drive Vacation". It was ordered with radio delete, but with a sunroof. The buyer picked it up at the airport at Frankfurt Germany. Drove around Europe for 2 weeks, then returned it to the folks at the airport he got it from and left it while he flew home. His local dealer in Orange County California called him about 3 weeks later with his new Bug.

I still have the original rear apron in original paint. I kept both front and back when I made a Baja out of it in '74.

I don't know where you're at. I'm in the Mojave Desert of SoCal.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Cool story and good stuff to know about the tourist pass program. I'm over on the other side of the country in rural GA Very Happy are you gonna turn it back to stock since you have the rear clip stil? Laughing
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Nope. Unfortunately, that Bug got converted to a Baja Bug and I beat it to death until the body shell and pan were full of spider-web looking fatigue cracks. The yokes broke off, the left side floor had a rock rip from the napoleon hat to the torsion housing, the sunroof had rattled to death, someone had broken into the front, maybe trying to hotwire it, and when I drove it onto the freeway, the hood flipped open and the hinges ripped and bent the cowl up into the windshield opening. Aside from no rust, the car was junk. I learned that for offroading at my level, a Bug needs to have an internal cage structure to survive. I removed the running gear, torsion housing, all suspension and anything else salvageable, and used it to build my Hi Jumper off road race buggy you see in my avatar. That was over 40 years ago. Note: that was at a time and place where VW Bugs were EVERYWHERE!!!!
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

WHEW Cool she was heavy but I got her done. Very Happy today I was able to sperate my body from the chassis whit the help of myself and a couple jacks. I've ordered all the parts to get the whole pan and chassis done expect for a backing plate and drums. Next week(if the parts arrive by then), I'll start working on the beam, moving to the pan, then transaxle and other miscellaneous stuffs.

Also, does anyone happen to know the brand of the 356 style rims? I've only got 3 lol.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
WHEW Cool she was heavy but I got her done. Very Happy today I was able to sperate my body from the chassis whit the help of myself and a couple jacks.

Did the excavator not have the ability to lift the body off?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
WHEW Cool she was heavy but I got her done. Very Happy today I was able to sperate my body from the chassis whit the help of myself and a couple jacks.

No, the hydraulic pump is leaking real bad Sad but last time I tried that I ended up smashing my roof so I don't do that any more Laughing I decided to play it same this time.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

No, the hydraulic pump is leaking real bad Sad but last time I tried that I ended up smashing my roof so I don't do that any more Laughing I decided to play it same this time.

Ah, so not only lack of ability in the excavator, though also the operator. Razz Yep, better to play it safe.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Quick question... So if i decide not to rebuild my gear box then should i not even bother popping the top plate off? I’m gonna be pressure washing the whole chassis and pan before i start disassembly and was wondering if i will risk damaging the gasket between the box top plate and steering box housing/body.

Also, what is this... seems like a dumb question but is it some sort of bumper mount or maybe some sort of aftermarket beam stabilizer?

Update on the engine: i finally found a guy who happen to have just 1 single bearing of the size i need. Joe from evwparts.com helped me out. Nice people over there and easy to work with.

Thank you
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Some parts came in today. I'm expecting a few more to come in soon. I forgot to buy a few small parts like tie rods Brick wall, a rear backing plate, a drum, and then cip1 sent me a notice that 2 of the items that I paid for were now out of stock so they refunded my money.

Last edited by Chickensoup on Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

awesome project .. and that parts haul ,dam . nice . did you buy the rear pan halfs from cip1 ? thanks and keep up the GOOD work !
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

bad91teg wrote:
awesome project .. and that parts haul ,dam . nice . did you buy the rear pan halfs from cip1 ? thanks and keep up the GOOD work !

thanks for the kind words, i bought those pan halfs from JC Witney of all places b/c they are actually cheaper they are the same exact part Very Happy Very Happy
Next i will be rebuilding my engine(slowely), while i tackle the chassis. i think i have this saturday and maybe sunday free so ill get the dirty work done first so i can glide right though it Laughing , well... hopefully.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Another part came in, still waiting for the cherry on top though. But does any one have any experience with these chinese steering dampers? The finish looks a little questionable. I maybe touch up a few spots. Also, should I oil the shaft at all when its extended or just leave it alone. I ask b/c there is much at all on it right now.

Thanks
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Man, quite the resto project, nice work so far! i am looking forward to your progress and the post coming through, as i do mine at the same time! I do not know anything about the steering dampers, good luck on that.

Keep updating!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

I wqsnt able to get much done today. I removed the beam and started disassembly and that's about it really. I hoping that if all goes as planned tomarow then I will continue on my beam and maybe weld in the adjusters.

More parts came in today,

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

So again today, I made slow progress. And who's to blame?? My stubborn ass preassure washer!!! Evil or Very Mad no not really, it's more of a me cause but I cant admit that lol. Bu anyways, I planned on getting the pump fixed on my pressure washer so I could clean my beam but had no luck Sad I spent close to 4 hrs of the day on that thing. I've got it mostly working but not well enough. I plan on a pump rebuild now unfortunately. Looks like I got back off track, so enough of my sorrows. After I called it quits I drug my beam for roughly 2.5 acres and then started wire wheeling away. I got enough of the crud off for me to start actually working on it.

Then I lifted the light beam onto my table and destroyed my back.... power cleans aren't gonna be fun tomarow. Shocked I also started to soak my pedal assembly in pb blaster and I'm hoping that will make disassembly go smoother next weekend.

Quick question... so, if my drums say that they were made in Brazil, does that mean they were replaced at some point?? If they were, then I guess that's good?

Oh, and here's the little devil,

It may look innocent on the outside, but on the inside, she's an evil mf. Twisted Evil

Stay tuned for next weeks episode as we take a look into what lays behind the crusty beam... well, hopefully Very Happy
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Brazilian isn't as good as German, mostly because of the metallurgy was lackluster until recently. There was a time when Brazilian and Mexican parts were all that was available. I wouldn't worry, especially if don't need to be turned. Now if chatter, then do worry of course. I am going with a questionable rear drum on Ruby for now until can take her out and check it.

I and many others have had great success with SiliKroil, even to help frozen rings. Also, for getting rid of rust, many including myself love EvapoRust. The 3.5 gallon has the handy basket. Toss in rusty hardware and an hour later no rust.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Brazilian isn't as good as German, mostly because of the metallurgy was lackluster until recently. There was a time when Brazilian and Mexican parts were all that was available. I wouldn't worry, especially if don't need to be turned. Now if chatter, then do worry of course. I am going with a questionable rear drum on Ruby for now until can take her out and check it.

I and many others have had great success with SiliKroil, even to help frozen rings. Also, for getting rid of rust, many including myself love EvapoRust. The 3.5 gallon has the handy basket. Toss in rusty hardware and an hour later no rust.

Ok cool, now you’ve led me to ask a few more questions.

1. How can i tell if my drums are out of spec or out of round? Will i have to try them on and see?
2. Can you reuse evaporust? Ive seen the end results and they seem to end up well.
3. Media blasting vs evaporust? Can i degrease then primer, paint, black oxide, whatever i want to protect the items after using evaporust?

Thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 41

Jump to: