Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front seats for taller folks?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: front seats for taller folks? Reply with quote

So I hear Chrysler town and country middle row "stow and go" are a decent match and looking at airline seats that are nice and thin.

Other good options? I'm 6'4" and don't really fit in a bay very well, so the thinner the better.

Dave
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: front seats for taller folks? Reply with quote

I'm 6'6" 280, Mitsubishi Eclipse seats from late 90's are fantastic ( remove tracks and bolt in directly). they flip forward so you can store oil and shop towels behind the seat.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: front seats for taller folks? Reply with quote

I am 6'5" and just have Vanagon seats, which slide right into the tracks on a '76 and later bus. If you have a windshield with a tint strip across the top get yourself another windshield without the tint strip.
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: front seats for taller folks? Reply with quote

I'm 6'4" but I am all legs, the original seats killed my knees on long camping drives from being bent so long. I too installed vanagon seats which sit higher and making my legs less bent so driving long distances is a pleasure. Yes my normal sized buddies in their buses laugh at me when we are at a light when I have to lean over to watch for the greenlight, but it's a small price to pay for a much more enjoyable ride especially with armrests

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: front seats for taller folks? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I am 6'5" and just have Vanagon seats, which slide right into the tracks on a '76 and later bus. If you have a windshield with a tint strip across the top get yourself another windshield without the tint strip.

“Early 76 “ bays use a different tracks and are not compatible with Vanagon seats. But you can buy late seat tracks here. I had to do this mod. Worked perfectly. The van seats are so much better then the 76 seats.

https://www.buttysbits.com/product/bb-049-t2b-latebay-1976-1980-insideinner-cab-seat-runner/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: front seats for taller folks? Reply with quote

There are two different Vanagon seat bottoms and one of them is shorter than the other. You'll have to research to find which are which. I used just the bottoms of the shorter ones and connected them to the factory seat backs in my 79. They are covered in perf black vinyl so they look like factory bay seats at first glance.

I am a hair under 6'3" but with a long torso and I still hit my head on the headliner if I sit perfectly upright. I still have to slouch a little to avoid that, but the driving position of the bus kinda has you leaning forward a little anyway so it works well enough.

I think eliminating the headliner so you had that extra 1.5 inch would be just about perfect, but making that look good is another story.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: front seats for taller folks? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I'm 6'6" 280, Mitsubishi Eclipse seats from late 90's are fantastic ( remove tracks and bolt in directly). they flip forward so you can store oil and shop towels behind the seat.

One of the things that I really liked on my '74 was the bulkheads. A PO had cut holes in them for some quite large (8x12?) oval speakers. When I bought the van the speakers were long gone, but the holes provided very nice access to the usually hard to access areas behind the seats. It was well used space, and I have been tempted to try and reproduce it on my present '77.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: front seats for taller folks? Reply with quote

On most cars I have owned I have come up with ways to slide the seats back a bit further. Sometimes I reposition the tracks on either the seats or the floor, or cut extra notches in the tracks and also modify the stops if necessary.

Last edited by Wildthings on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: front seats for taller folks? Reply with quote

Thanks folks. I am putting the seats in a '74. I have an '80 Vanogon on the roof of my barn, so I will study them and even borrow if need be. Headliner is toast and am thinking a sheet of aluminum or luan to replace, so that might help a bit too, but my buddy has a junked Eclipse, so that is in the mix as well.

Nice tip on the no tint windshield as I need to replace the Current one. I have a nice looking top tinted windshield in a parts bus but I will abandon that dream. I have a decent clear unit in another parts rig but maybe just getting a new one is the way to go at this point.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: front seats for taller folks? Reply with quote

6'1" and long in the torso, totally happy with the 2017 Pacifica 2nd row seats that I put in my '75 Westy, just about as much headroom space as the Saab 9-3 seats I used to have and somehow more than the '77 Westy with OG seats one of my friends has .. though seat adjustment may help with that. I wasn't driving the '77 long enough to say. I do have to take off my hat (if/when wearing one) to keep from rubbing the wooden headliner, there's noticeably more headroom in a "passenger" Bus with the vinyl headliner.

X3 on the no-tint windshield if you're taller and can find one. I've driven Buses with the tint stripe at the top, drives me nuts because the bottom edge of the stripe is right at eye level for me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: