Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

Hi all!

I got a couple of products over the holidays, that I'm really pleased with and thought I'd share them here. One I bought for myself and one received as a gift, in addition to my annual GoWesty calendar. Smile

Backup Cam / Dash Cam / Review Mirror combo:

I was encouraged by Syncro Ron's (Syncro Jael) endorsement in another thread here:
Syncro Jael wrote:
I installed the Auto-Vox X1. It was really simple to run the camera lead along with the stock wiring to the rear of the van. Power for the unit is up the pillar to through the headliner.
It has been flawless and I have even used a few of the video clips from this unit.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTO-VOX-Mirror-Backup-Reve...&psc=1

With the settings you can dim out the camera or just black screen it off while it is recording in the background.

Link

... and bought one recently. So far I've tied out this for a few weeks, without really installing it and really love it. (I just ran the wire through the van and put the rear camera on the Westy shelf behind the A/C unit at the rear ceiling, pointing therough the hatch glass.)
I like the high angle view as it will do well to see a ways down the road beyond the car immediately behind me while travelling. The view also angles down far enough to see just the ground just behind the van as well. I'll also try out the license plate view location as Ron recommends.

Very impressed with the clarity and screen color. Found myself just sort of wanting to watch the mirror instead of the street in front of me. I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon.

I vote: Two Thumbs Up! Very Good, and will likely get another one for my Syncro too.

Multi-Power Outlet - a gift
The next item is a simple multiple "cigarette" power outlet device with three outlets.
Here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DXD0PUA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Really pleased with the quality and construction of this. I got two for the Westy and will mount one under/near the dash and one near the battery to power accessories like our Engle fridge. It's constructed with a housing and then 3 individual outlets. They also have models with voltmeters and/or USB outlets instead of the 12V outlet, but I figure I can add a USP adapter and can't have the voltmeter consuming power with my "always-on" wiring plan. It's definitely large for a 3-outlet device, so don't expect to tuck it away in any small crevice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, what Vanagon-related items did you get over the holidays?

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

I’ve been one-step away from buying the Auto-box rear cam for half a year or so. Thanks for one more positive recommendation for it.

I bought some aux. taillights that I want to experiment with...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H3G5N86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this rechargeable LED worklight is meeting or exceeding expectations...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCL81W3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

The Renogy suitcase setup, pretty happy with that.

I also bought myself the vanagon.org wiring kit and 240lb hatch struts.
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

Was very happy to see these when I opened my two "main" presents. Wink

Back up cam and LED H4 bulbs. Installed the bulbs already, seem very nice so far!! The old ones look like they are brown.. high beams in the future.

Camera and monitor seem well made, not hooked up yet. Love the compact monitor size.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07GKKJ9M4

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07Q85L22L

Both are highly rated by buyers so I may be ok!
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:
Was very happy to see these when I opened my two "main" presents. Wink

Back up cam and LED H4 bulbs. Installed the bulbs already, seem very nice so far!! The old ones look like they are brown.. high beams in the future.

Camera and monitor seem well made, not hooked up yet. Love the compact monitor size.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07GKKJ9M4

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07Q85L22L

Both are highly rated by buyers so I may be ok!

Love the "Digital Wireless Siganl" Laughing

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?

Last edited by SyncroHead on Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

2 sets of Marco's fuel injectors... Very Happy
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:

The next item is a simple multiple "cigarette" power outlet device with three outlets.
Here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DXD0PUA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Really pleased with the quality and construction of this. I got two for the Westy and will mount one under/near the dash and one near the battery to power accessories like our Engle fridge. It's constructed with a housing and then 3 individual outlets. They also have models with voltmeters and/or USB outlets instead of the 12V outlet, but I figure I can add a USP adapter and can't have the voltmeter consuming power with my "always-on" wiring plan. It's definitely large for a 3-outlet device, so don't expect to tuck it away in any small crevice.

Jim

I love these adapters! I've installed 3 in the last month (early Christmas presents to myself), although one is a two hole version.
This one is for my fridge behind the passenger seat and can connect to either the house or starter battery.

This one is installed in the back and has one 12V port and one USB, and switched so the lit USB ports don't use power when I'm not using them. It can still be accessed with the rear hatch closed.

And another one near the upper bunk above the kitchen for fans, charging my phone while "upstairs", etc. The USB has an on/off switch to combat phantom power loss when not in use.

So much bang for the buck! And so many ways to customize. Now... where can I put a fourth?
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

Backup cam, LED DRL's & 12v inflator... details to be posted (eventually) in the "what I did" thread... 😉

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

Eberspacher B1 heater and a plasma cutter
jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

What kind of clamps are you using for that shovel,hammer ect...?

epbiggs wrote:
SyncroHead wrote:

Here:

Jim

I love these adapters! I've installed 3 in the last month (early Christmas presents to myself), although one is a two hole version.
This one is for my fridge behind the passenger seat and can connect to either the house or starter battery.

This one is installed in the back and has one 12V port and one USB, and switched so the lit USB ports don't use power when I'm not using them. It can still be accessed with the rear hatch closed.

And another one near the upper bunk above the kitchen for fans, charging my phone while "upstairs", etc. The USB has an on/off switch to combat phantom power loss when not in use.

So much bang for the buck! And so many ways to customize. Now... where can I put a fourth?

Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

jttosh wrote:

epbiggs wrote:
SyncroHead wrote:

Here:

Jim

I used a couple of different sizes of Quick Fist Clamps depending on what I was securing.
They are available in many different sizes, but these worked perfectly for my purposes.
Here's a link to see all the sizes and variations Amazon has: https://amzn.to/2Rw75ZR
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

[quote="SyncroHead"]Hi
Backup Cam / Dash Cam / Review Mirror combo:

I was encouraged by Syncro Ron's (Syncro Jael) endorsement in another thread here:
Syncro Jael wrote:
I installed the Auto-Vox X1. It was really simple to run the camera lead along with the stock wiring to the rear of the van. Power for the unit is up the pillar to through the headliner.
It has been flawless and I have even used a few of the video clips from this unit.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTO-VOX-Mirror-Backup-Reve...&psc=1

Jim

Does this Auto Vox Mount to the existing rear view mirror? If so, doyou feel it's a reasonably clean install? I'm concerned that it might look odd strapping to the existing mirror. AutoVox had a unit with a stem that mounted to a plate glued to the glass but that was $299 and then disappeared from amazon.

Here’s the link to the X1 Pro with the mirror that attaches directly to a plate glued to the glass. At $299 it’s at the top of the price ladder.

X1PRO Rear View Mirror Dash Cam 9.88" Full Touch Screen Dual Lens with 1296P Front and 720P Super Night Vision Stream Media Backup Camera kit, WDR,LDWS, GPS Tracking,Auto-Brightness Adjusting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMK74JJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_qtljEbKE2R3JF

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

Thanks!

epbiggs wrote:
jttosh wrote:

epbiggs wrote:
SyncroHead wrote:

Here:

Jim

I used a couple of different sizes of Quick Fist Clamps depending on what I was securing.
They are available in many different sizes, but these worked perfectly for my purposes.
Here's a link to see all the sizes and variations Amazon has: https://amzn.to/2Rw75ZR

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

I believe a photo of your use of quick fist clamps inspired me to get some. They work very well.

Abscate wrote:

jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

You guys are using screws to secure the straps?
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

jttosh wrote:
Yes, that's what i used. I'm thinking that's the only way for a secure attachment on wood. I don't know if jimf909 used a different method, as I'm not sure the material he's attaching his to.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Gifts and Upgrades - What ya get? Reply with quote

epbiggs wrote:
jttosh wrote:
Yes, that's what i used. I'm thinking that's the only way for a secure attachment on wood. I don't know if jimf909 used a different method, as I'm not sure the material he's attaching his to.

Yep, screws into 3/4” plywood.

I bought this set...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YU8IX6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this one...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NOC8Q6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: