Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 vw beetle woody wagon
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikhail_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Any members in the okanagan lake region of British Columbia, Canada? I have my 1968 vw beetle woody wagon im hoping is back together before spring. Only thing holding up progress is the lack of experience in welding panels in. I have all the tools to do the job, and more mechanical knowledge then welding knowledge.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Very cool and good luck. I don't recall seeing that type of hood/grill before...But the rest looks like a Stevenson style body build.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikhail_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Very cool and good luck. I don't recall seeing that type of hood/grill before...But the rest looks like a Stevenson style body build.

I was able to trace the history of this car from the original owners. It was a mothers car in three hills alberta. A farmer family. I would have to go through my notes and find the name. But i was able to phone them and talk to them and i got the history as to what all the modifications are.

The hood is from a 1940s dodge 3/4 ton truck. It apparently had the right angles and curves. The front end is vertical sheet metal on the body trunk line grooves. It is not the most accurate metal work, but solid metal work nonetheless. All the body metal modifications were done by lead welding. There are areas on the front end hood that have thick bondo, but it only took 20 years for it to just "minor" crack chip through the paint layer in a few spots. The front end hood lines up with the vertical sheet metal, when you have areas with 1/3 inch thick of bondo to make it visually line up.

Mikhail_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

One day possibly i will be selling this "rare" woody wagon. Id like to buy a restored std vw beetle of any year as a daily driver replacement.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Oh boy...you are into it heavily.....What are you wanting to do? replace the plywood with more plywood or do it better? Just curious.

This is probably what your car was built from https://www.stevproj.com/

There was a defunct (I think) yahoo group for these cars and there was an article about enhancing the Stevenson plans.

I know a little about these things.... I acquired the first one conceived (cream colored) and designed and built one of the last ones (maroon).

And you can use this as a daily driver if you build it right...All about properly finishing the wood and making sure your windows are sealed properly. I can get a lot of groceries in 40 Ford hood of the maroon one and the cream one is even better since it has a pancake engine and flat rear floor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Disassemble it and weld/rebuild it yourself or tow dolly it to a welder & pay them for welding.
Tow dolly it back home and reassemble it yourself.
Nobody will come to your place to weld/build it for less than $50/hour?
Sell it now if that's your ultimate goal? Idea
P.S. Looking at your pics now I see it is already disassembled so weld/build it yourself at home!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey

Last edited by Mike Fisher on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Seriously - if you are not dealing with heavy stuff and just sheet metal, such as floor pans, one of those $100 migs is fine. Watch a couple youtubes for tips on welding, get a half decent helmet (no - not the $50 ones. Plan on spending a little over $100 for one.) Get some scrap sheet metal and play around. And go to harborfreight with your coupon for the 9.99 4 1/2" electric angle grinder (get 2 it will make your life easier - one for cut off wheels and one for sandpaper flap wheels). You can clean up some really crappy looking welds.

I never welded in my life nor took any classes. Started with a cheap one like I mentioned and did a LOT of work with it. Using gas is better, but the rosin core stuff is OK - you just need to spend more time cleaning things up.
Mikhail_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Oh boy...you are into it heavily.....What are you wanting to do? replace the plywood with more plywood or do it better? Just curious.

This is probably what your car was built from https://www.stevproj.com/

There was a defunct (I think) yahoo group for these cars and there was an article about enhancing the Stevenson plans.

I know a little about these things.... I acquired the first one conceived (cream colored) and designed and built one of the last ones (maroon).

And you can use this as a daily driver if you build it right...All about properly finishing the wood and making sure your windows are sealed properly. I can get a lot of groceries in 40 Ford hood of the maroon one and the cream one is even better since it has a pancake engine and flat rear floor.

I am rebuilding the woody wagon to improve the quality of the plywood sides and the windows.

I have completely redone the window design so it's proper. Ive redone the plywood edge finishing, mostly the same style pattern as the kit design.

The windows are recessed in, proper automotive glass, will have sealant setting them in, and an interior trim piece to physically hold the window into the recess from the inside.

The floor pans are near perfect original condition. No holes at all. Very good shape. Only rust problems i have are the running board fastener panel strips and the heater channel bottom plate.

I think i will be bolting the running board fastener panel strips to the heater channel bottoms and have the upper portions welded to the car body like its supposed to.

The heater channel bottoms are fairly corroded, but are solid. Ive treated with chemical rust remover, just cant get a good weld onto it. So i figured bolt and nuts and sealant. Then in 25 years it can be fixed properly. I want to leave it original and the body has never been separated from factory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: