Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Talk your ear off guy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

When I drove a Thing people would sometimes ask me if it was one of those cars that swims. I even caught one guy down on his knees looking for the propellor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

coad wrote:
When I drove a Thing people would sometimes ask me if it was one of those cars that swims. I even caught one guy down on his knees looking for the propellor.

Not even close.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Well that thread sank to new depths... Rolling Eyes

maybe

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

I enjoy people complementing my square & asking questions or telling me their VW tales!
Nice to get strangers actually speaking to one another on these mean streets!
I tell them it's my cheap hot rod & daily driver. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

I'm not really that mean and i will talk to people when they ask me about the bus or the thing. I do hate most people though. when i get a peace sign, i just wave back. no peace sign.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

Zoloft. Ask your doctor if it's right for you.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Zoloft. Ask your doctor if it's right for you.

Excellent advice Very Happy
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

as long as you're aren't either of these guys you should be ok

Link

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

obus wrote:
as long as you're aren't either of these guys you should be ok

Link

I truly regret LOOKING AT THAT!!!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

Kind of sticks in the old brain doesn't it? I saw that one about 6 years ago and the echo is still there...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

I think most of the time a vast majority of us are 'on a mission' when we drive these...either a family outing, going to a show etc so when a 5 min fill up turns into a 20 min 'I had one' fest it really makes you wish you were invisible.

I try to entertain people for a minute or 2. if i'm in a rush I become guy with phone stuck to my ear. if i'm with the family my wife will call me 'oops, gotta take this, nice chatting!'

on the flip side, we can all walk up to people with random cars "whoa, is that a suburban?" (and really it's an escalade) Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I think most of the time a vast majority of us are 'on a mission' when we drive these...either a family outing, going to a show etc so when a 5 min fill up turns into a 20 min 'I had one' fest it really makes you wish you were invisible.

I try to entertain people for a minute or 2. if i'm in a rush I become guy with phone stuck to my ear. if i'm with the family my wife will call me 'oops, gotta take this, nice chatting!'

on the flip side, we can all walk up to people with random cars "whoa, is that a suburban?" (and really it's an escalade) Laughing

You nailed it!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

That is FN hilarious !
I've met both these guys several times
Thanks for posting.

The most important thing on a Tombstone is the Dash between the 2 dates.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Most people like to talk about nothing but themselves...

Oh my fricking God! THIS ^^^^^

On a refreshing side note, I recently attended the Christmas party of a long-time friend, and was chatting with his young neighbor for about an hour. We discussed jobs, business, home renovations and so on. Then I mentioned that what I really like to spend my time on is working on my classic cars...he asks, "Oh, what kind of cars?" I replied "vintage VWs," and he says "No kidding! I have a '64 Notchback! Shocked

Smile
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

My guard was down today and I got that guy.
Stopped in at my local liquor store to grab a smoke and bone out and here he comes. 🤪
At least he was kind enough to ask what year my bug was before he started rambling on about how his friend had an extra pulley on the crank that he would use to wrap a rope around to pull start his 63 . . . . HAHAHA 🤣

OMG, it just never ends.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

I've had air cooled VWs in numerous guises over many years and I've never encountered anyone that annoyed me (and I am EASILY ANNOYED, not proud to say Embarassed.) Granted, mine aren't daily drivers, so perhaps the opportunity for annoying come-uppers is diminished. Yes, I've experienced the, "Mine was EXACTLY like yours, but..." (fill in everything that makes it the absolute antithesis!) Nonetheless, the common denominator of all whom have approached me and my cars, no matter how awkward or errant in trying to draw similarity, has been a true affinity (if not abject love) of the marque. For me, that overarching love of the VWs that we also hold dear, forgives all (or at least a lot, anyway Razz )

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

I don't mind if they approach me at the fuel pump, and I don't mind when they tell me about their VW days, but what the hell is about men in their late 70s that always have to tell you the tired joke "You know why the British drink warm beer?" as if none of us had ever heard it before?
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

I've been lucky, as most of those guys (and gals) that have questioned me about my VW's have been nice and generally had interesting stories about their VWs from back in the day. One lady lived near a car show venue I was at and we had a great chat about her past experiences with her Westfalia. Then she returned a bit later with a gift: the original cot and support bars from her old Westy that she still had stashed in the basement. Mine were missing, and this made both our days.

On the flip side, I once took my restored stock '66 Beetle to a show with a friend. While out looking at other cars, my buddy was sitting beside mine, and did have to endure a conversation with "that" guy. Mr expert took great delight in pointing out that my Beetle was quite nice, but it was a shame that I put 1967 wheels and hubcaps on it instead of the "correct" classic style earlier domed caps and smooth rims. My friend knows Beetles, and assured Mr. Expert that the wheels were not only the original style, but original date-coded matched to the car originals. His response was "I used to own a '66, and it had the "proper" rims on it, and your car does not. End of conversation. Not sure how I would have responded to this if I was there...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Talk your ear off guy? Reply with quote

How much to piss inthe dogs mouth?

Just be thankful you don’t run into Colm from “ Derry Girls”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: