Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grinding terror correction
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
8bit Innovations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

Hello guys, I don’t know how I managed to score a 49 vanilla for under $8000 six months after getting my 67 vert but I feel lucky to say the least. The 49 is 95% restored, but I have trouble enjoying the ride quality due to the transmission lacking synchronizers. I have tried different angles, going easy on the stick, but none have been successful. How do you guys manage to shift gears smoothly without grinding any gears at all??

67 Bug Puerto Rico spec Deluxe sedan Fontana Grey (Acquired from original owner’s family)

Last edited by 8bit Innovations on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

rev match.

you need to learn how to rev match the engine to whatever RPM it needs to be in the next gear you are trying to get into. When upshifting, push the clutch in and let the RPMs drop to the required rpm, then move the gear stick and let the clutch out, there is no speed-shifting here. When down shifting it is a bit more tricky and takes practice. Push the clutch in and shift to neutral and let the clutch out, then stab the throttle to bring the RPMs up to where they need to be for the lower gear, then quickly push the clutch in and shift into the desired lower gear.

3rd and 4th gear are easier because they are helical cut, but with practice you should be able to shift into first and second just as smoothly.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

the factory manual actually has a good basic explanation of shifting and rev matching.

Here's a pdf link for 1952 beetle owners manual, the same shifting process as your 49. It's explained on page 10 and 11 of the manual.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1_52bug/1_52bug.pdf
8bit Innovations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

Oh, the good thing is that there is nothing wrong with my bug, anyway thanks to everyone for the advice!

67 Bug Puerto Rico spec Deluxe sedan Fontana Grey (Acquired from original owner’s family)
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

The description in the link from Mr. OG Paint is perfect BUT we are all used to modern cars that will accept rapid gear changes. Our non-synchro gearboxes will not!

Take your time changing gear and you will find that after a while matching the revs comes naturally.
I forget quite often after jumping out of a modern T6 Transporter with its slick six speed box, then the Beetle quickly reminds me!!

Never the less the Beetle is a pleasure to drive once I settle down with its idiosyncrasies.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
8bit Innovations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:
The description in the link from Mr. OG Paint is perfect BUT we are all used to modern cars that will accept rapid gear changes. Our non-synchro gearboxes will not!

Take your time changing gear and you will find that after a while matching the revs comes naturally.
I forget quite often after jumping out of a modern T6 Transporter with its slick six speed box, then the Beetle quickly reminds me!!

Never the less the Beetle is a pleasure to drive once I settle down with its idiosyncrasies.

Thanks to you too! I later discovered that indeed the transmission needs some time to shift into gear. And once again, thank you very much to everyone for helping me out!!

Thebubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

Pics of your 49?🤗
8bit Innovations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

Thebubblehead wrote:
Pics of your 49?🤗

Sure
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Btw, in the initial post I got confused, the vert is the 67, it has been a pain to get parts for it, I have always preferred the vanillas (base model) over deluxe and verts, follows more loyally the Volkswagen mission to create an affordable car for the people

Thebubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

Nice👍 tanks.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

(Hi Kent!)

One other bit of advice. Second gear shifts smoother the slower you're going. Use first just to get the car moving, and shift to second right away. It may make the driver behind you mad, but you should find the shift into second smoother.

If you get the revs up in first like you want to, it will c-r-u-u-n-c-h!

Also, as mentioned above, pause between upshifts, and let the rpms settle.

The advice is good for downshifts -- you must double clutch. However, you may do it exactly the same, and one time it will be quiet, and another time it will protest. It's just the nature of the beast. They don't like downshifts.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fazeka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

+1.

I was taught "shift only into 1st when stopped, never downshift into it". You're slow enough at that point (from 2nd) anyway, what's the use to downshift into 1st?

I'm like that even on full synchros, too. Just a habit. YMMV.

Blue Baron wrote:

One other bit of advice. Second gear shifts smoother the slower you're going. Use first just to get the car moving, and shift to second right away. It may make the driver behind you mad, but you should find the shift into second smoother.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

I don't find any of that advice sound. A 25hp does not have very much horsepower, and barely getting the car moving before shifting into second is a sure way to lug the engine more than needed. With practice, every gear can be navigated both up and down, without ANY crunch. If you are grinding, then you need more practice.

Also, it is possible to down shift into first, I do this all the time with very little if any crunch, once again, you need to match the RPM's (high).

The transaxle does not care how fast you are going in any gear, as long as you can spin the mainshaft up, or slow it down, to the correct rpm required.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

sled wrote:
I don't find any of that advice sound. A 25hp does not have very much horsepower, and barely getting the car moving before shifting into second is a sure way to lug the engine more than needed. With practice, every gear can be navigated both up and down, without ANY crunch. If you are grinding, then you need more practice.

Also, it is possible to down shift into first, I do this all the time with very little if any crunch, once again, you need to match the RPM's (high).

The transaxle does not care how fast you are going in any gear, as long as you can spin the mainshaft up, or slow it down, to the correct rpm required.

i agree and only have this to add:

if you are in traffic where you may not have much time to mess with grinding gears, don't shift unless you need to shift. as in don't shift into 3rd for 20 feet, just leave it in the gear you are in. If you are 2nd and need to slow down to a possible stop, just leave it in 2nd until you are stopped. if your wheels are still turning, just keep on driving in 2nd. If you only shift when needed, like downshifting from 3rd into 2nd going up a hill will be much easier close to the top of 2nd than at the bottom of 2nd. it will feel natural to floor it when you are downshifting up hill....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

I agree with Sled and Mandraks. Personally I never "short shift" a full crashbox, I think they work alot better if you rev them out on every gear which allows the RPM drop/rev match to work really well going to the next. That includes the 1-2 shift.

I don't want to be seem cocky, but humbly speaking I am the best crashbox driver ever to live. Wink

Last edited by Mr. OGPaint on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

I would vouch for Patrick, as my daughter and I took a ride down the 1-5 with Patrick at the helm in his car, very smooth. Very Happy any up dates on the rebuild.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

… nothing like driving my old 11G with full crash box - I never down-shifted into first either - I think of that experience, all the time and the only thing more fun and primitive is a KR-175 Messerschmitt -

I used to shift into neutral, when up-shifting, for a second, unconsciously feel things- listen to the RPMs and shift to the next gear - that worked well
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

Mine shifted smoother from 1st to 2nd at lower rpms (not slow enough to lug the engine). We're talking full crashbox, and not just first gear.

Your mileage may differ! Laughing

Heinz Nordhoff
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
We're talking full crashbox, and not just first gear.

Your mileage may differ! Laughing

yes thats what we're talking about. Very Happy
8bit Innovations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

Well guys, because I also have a 67 beetle, I got used to speed shifting. Definitely shifting slowly makes one hell of a difference, thanks for helping me improve my driving experience!! Btw, sorry for my late response, my clutch died and could not drive for a while to test your ideas. Once again, thanks for helping out on this one!!

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding terror correction Reply with quote

8bit Innovations wrote:
Well guys, because I also have a 67 beetle, I got used to speed shifting. Definitely shifting slowly makes one hell of a difference, thanks for helping me improve my driving experience!! Btw, sorry for my late response, my clutch died and could not drive for a while to test your ideas. Once again, thanks for helping out on this one!!

the biggest benefit of learning how to double clutch is that you don't actually need to use the clutch. As long as it is not slipping, of course.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: