Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My girls rear is sagging
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

My 73 is bone stock. The rear has always sagged a bit lower than the front ( see pictures ) I see this in a lot of things ?....does the weight of the engine cause the rear shock to fail sooner than the front ?
I am guessing I need to put on some new rear shocks...I have no idea how old the current ones are ( could be originals ! ). Would this help my sag situation at all ? I may only need about a 1.5" lift to correct the stance and even it out.
I thought I would at least try this first.

Any stock rear shock brand/model suggestions or installation tips. I was thinking I might find a video....but no luck.

Thanks guys
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jeromevw312
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

They were all actually a little “nose up” from the factory, but 40 years causes the rear to sag a bit more as well.

You just need to re-index the rear torsion bars a click or 2. Heavier duty shocks would help a bit as well. Just do a search here in Thing forum, or more indepth info on re-indexing torsions in HBB off road forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

Thanks for the info !!!

Would adjustable air shocks for the rear be an option....if they even make them that would fit a stock 73.
Not sure.....that might be a wrong idea
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

shocks will not fix your sagging rear end, unless you get the kind that you can make them act like a spring assist by adding air.

I have just had my thingster re-indexed.

Sam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeromevw312
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

yel-mel wrote:
Thanks for the info !!!

Would adjustable air shocks for the rear be an option....if they even make them that would fit a stock 73.

Your over thinking it, it’s really as simple as re-adjusting the rear torsion arms a couple clicks.
jeromevw312
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

yel-mel wrote:
Thanks for the info !!!

Your over thinking it, it’s really as simple as re-adjusting the rear torsion arms a couple clicks.
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

I have never adjusted the rear torsion arms before. I am going to search it here in the forums and give it a try.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

There is a youtube video about reindexing. I didn't do the math, so I put it back the way it came off, when I replaced the bushings...which helped. It's really an afternoon job...and I work in the dirt. Stiffer shocks make for a very abusive ride. KYB red/white in back is more than enough for normal street driving and some mild off road fun.
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

gabriel 49307 hijackers air shocks bolt on will improve your ride
If You don't know how old your shocks are it time to change them.
Reindexing is fine if you have the time, ability and patience to do it,
it is not just a pop off and on move thing, it takes a combination of moving the inside and outside ends of the bar.
good luck whatever way you go.

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

With no load in the front seats, it is perfectly normal for the front end to sit a bit high, add gas shocks and it will set even higher.

Reindexing of the rear torsion bars just takes some time and attention to detail, but it is not a particularly hard or complex job. It also gives one access to the torsion bar bushings which are likely shot at this point and badly in need of replacement anyway. You don't need all the fancy stuff in the manual to do this accurately, the jig shown below is all I use, though I am not sure if the one pictured is for a Bay Window Bus or a Thing. All you are doing is comparing the angle of the swing arms to the line of the bottom of the rocker panel.

YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

I ran air shocks on my '73 to help get the tires to clear. They worked great! Sorry can't remember the brand from 20 years ago, but I did run hose and valves to the rear bumper.

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

All the air shocks that I have ever used resulted in a stiff ride (just my opinion)-never used them in a VW though. I run the red and gray kyb's-they work great for me.
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

Sounds like the Gabriel 49307's might be worth a first try......I most likely need new shocks anyway. Are the 307's a easy replacement to the stock ones or are there any spacers needed or mods needed ?

If these don't do the trick I will tackle the re-indexing
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

Re- index the torsions to factory specs! Shocks are not supposed to support the weight of the car, air shocks and stiffer than stock ones are a band aid and affect the ride and handling adversely.
Wildthings - please explain what that piece of 2x4 does?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Re- index the torsions to factory specs! Shocks are not supposed to support the weight of the car, air shocks and stiffer than stock ones are a band aid and affect the ride and handling adversely.
Wildthings - please explain what that piece of 2x4 does?

The board is cut at the angle for the torsion arm. You just set the long edge along the bottom of the rockers positioning it so you can eyeball the angle of the sawn cut with the angle of the torsion arm. If you have cut the angle on the board with care, you can easily get the torsion bar angle within spec. No need to level the car and own and use the angle gauges VW has you using.

Sorry I don't remember the correct torsion bar angle for the Thing off the top of my head, others surely know it. The cutout in the board is just to clear the socket for the jack, like I said I don't remember if this one is for a Thing or a Bus.

I should get a picture of the board being used some day, easy peasy.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My girls rear is sagging Reply with quote

I used air shocks to good effect. I did it so I could compensate for trailer tongue weight but they are handy for leveling the car. I don't think it really rides much rougher if any, it takes very little air to raise the car unloaded. Be aware I had to re drill the lower mounts a little off center to allow the thicker around shocks to clear the trailing arm, you may encounter this too. It is an easy first thing to try, you may find it satisfactory. If not no harm done.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: