Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

I’ve read the thread on the poster using Speedi-Sleeves for their Manual Trans seals. Does anyone know if there is a number for putting sleeves on the Drive Flanges of an Automatic, or are they the same as the Manual Transmissions?
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

I almost said "same", but looked up the side seals and manual and auto have different p/n's. You'll need someone to mike a flange hub, or call VanCafe and have someone read the dimensions embossed on the seals for you. If seal ID is the same, sleeve will be the same.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

Right, I knew there were different part numbers but haven’t a clue about seal dimensions. I’ve got two new seals on order from Van Cafe, so I’ll check them once they arrive.
I’ll pull a flange out this coming Saturday while I’m working on the Transmission if no one knows, and measure what we’ve got.
I was basically leak free for months after replacing the seals while doing the CVs, so I was surprised to see one side started leaking again this past weekend as I was running that new battery cable..... Crying or Very sad

Both Vents are perfect and move easily , so I suspect a worn spot on the drive flange . At least it’s not a gusher of a leak... Razz
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

Yeah the side flanges are all so old most have a pretty good groove worn in and are asking to be sleeved.

Lip seals have the sizing embossed in the rubber cover, so no need to measure the flange to know, the nominal hub size is right there. It'd be great if you added that info to that other thread where we were talking about this, to have it in one place, with the sleeve p/n too if it turns out to be different.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

Absolutely agree. Hopefully there’s a sleeve that fits... Pray Pray Pray
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

NOT that you should trust an online parts lookup but O'Reilly shows the AT trans using the same pn sleeve i used on the manual. so it is looking like it will be the same but further verification needed.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/engine-parts---...en/vanagon

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
NOT that you should trust an online parts lookup but O'Reilly shows the AT trans using the same pn sleeve i used on the manual. so it is looking like it will be the same but further verification needed.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/engine-parts---...en/vanagon

We will see...
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I almost said "same", but looked up the side seals and manual and auto have different p/n's. You'll need someone to mike a flange hub, or call VanCafe and have someone read the dimensions embossed on the seals for you. If seal ID is the same, sleeve will be the same.

To be fair.. Mike, should mic the stub shaft.... using a micrometer.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
tencentlife wrote:

To be fair.. Mike, should mic the stub shaft.... using a micrometer.

I would agree
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

The bearing support/seal housing has an O ring that seals it to the case. To a point, the drip would appear at the same location.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The bearing support/seal housing has an O ring that seals it to the case. To a point, the drip would appear at the same location.
Hmm, question then... Are the Automatics the same as the Manual Transmission for sealing in this area. I though the Manuals were a bit more complex. I'll have to look up that O-ring and a Parts Schematic/drawing to see, since my Bentley is at home right now... Think

A Hah...These Guys..
Van Café 011519345.... Auto Trans Axle Shaft O-ring

What special tool is required for setting the side load , or removing the adjusting nut? Hmm, yet another research topic...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

The locks are inside the differential from memory. So the pan would need to come off to access them. Similar design to the manual transaxle as far as marking them prior to removal, checking backlash prior is a good idea too.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
MarkWard wrote:
Hmm, question then... Are the Automatics the same as the Manual Transmission for sealing in this area. I though the Manuals were a bit more complex. I'll have to look up that O-ring and a Parts Schematic/drawing to see, since my Bentley is at home right now... Think

A Hah...These Guys..

What special tool is required for setting the side load , or removing the adjusting nut? Hmm, yet another research topic...

Why is the adjusting nut coming into this? On both the automatic transmission and the manual, the seals are usually replaced without messing with the differential side bearing adjusting nuts.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

A Hah...These Guys..

Why is the adjusting nut coming into this? On both the automatic transmission and the manual, the seals are usually replaced without messing with the differential side bearing adjusting nuts.

IF the o-rings, which are further in than the outer flange seals are leaking, this is what Mark Ward was warning about with the leak I’m seeing. Might only be a groove or worn spot on the shaft, that requires a new seal and speedi sleeve repair. Hopefully no further transaxle work than that.

My flange seals are new, and were leak free for a good few months, till one side wasn’t ( drivers) I’m reading that it’s the same side that shows more bearing wear on most transaxles, so I might have some free play in addition to worn shaft seal areas.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

oil seals may sometimes be installed at less than full depth so that seal lip rides on an undamaged part of the shaft.

good luck

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
oil seals may sometimes be installed at less than full depth so that seal lip rides on an undamaged part of the shaft.

good luck

Bug On!
also true
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedi-Sleeves for Automatic Drive Flanges Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

good luck

Bug On!
also true

You can determine where the new seal will ride by smearing a small amount of grease on the sealing surface and temporarily installing the hub. When you again remove the hub you can see where the outer lip is riding on the sealing surface.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: