Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$200 AFR Meter & Go
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

Since its no longer possible to rent an AFR thru aircooled.net Crying or Very sad , word on the street is they are now sub $200 Dancing Dancing Dancing . So lets hear what the top 3 +- $200 AFR Meters are to dial in a 48 IDA 9-1cr street motor w/MagnaSpark II ignition system;

1-

2-

3-
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

Not quite under $200. But it is what I have.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Innovate-MTX-L-PLUS-Wideband-Kit-3918-p/innovate-3918.htm

Good Luck

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

The plx use to be right at 200. Is works good. Also seconds as a volt meter.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

Went through something like 4 Innovate Sensors in 6 months. Could never get it working, some not even out of the box. Clone suggested I buy a PLX and lets just say ive never had to worry about it again Wink
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

I bought a PLX in May of 2014 and have over 33,000 miles on the original O2 sensor.
It's never given a problem and it never needs to be calibrated. It will also tell you how much life is left in the sensor.
I have the Gen 3 version....the Gen 4 is out and probably even better. It takes the 4.9 series O2 sensor.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Coyotemutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
I bought a PLX in May of 2014 and have over 33,000 miles on the original O2 sensor.
It's never given a problem and it never needs to be calibrated. It will also tell you how much life is left in the sensor.
I have the Gen 3 version....the Gen 4 is out and probably even better. It takes the 4.9 series O2 sensor.

I have the gen 4 version. I think I messed up the sensor installing it such that condensation collected on it. In a new setup it works flawlessly. I also get head temp through the same unit.

I'm not getting the O2 life meter function, but I'm not worried about it.
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
Went through something like 4 Innovate Sensors in 6 months. Could never get it working, some not even out of the box. Clone suggested I buy a PLX and lets just say ive never had to worry about it again Wink

Would like to know more about this , innovate uses Bosch sensors so going through 4 of them seams odd and switching to another unit does not seam like
That was the fix , what happened to the 4 sensors ?
I’ve run innovate and still run innovate products , my only issues have ever been
Due to extreme lead fowling and overheating due to placement.
KROC head porting services
Dialedinperformance.com
Airspeedparts.com topic http://airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=914.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:

Do you have excessive valve guide clearance? Is the ring seal good? Are you running very rich?

I ask because the recurring nature of the problem makes me think the engine is somehow contributing at least a little. O2 sensors don't like oil, or too much raw gas in the exhaust. If it's that kind of problem, you can try cleaning it.

But the PLX has been a good solution...what does the PLX do different from the Innovate?
lelef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

Innovate in 2 cars with microsquirt, on the vw air cooled one sensor fail ,it is not in the best position there is a lot of heat all around the external part of the sensor but there is no way to put it in a better way,one time finished with autotune I've disabled the lambda , sometimes check if it is still working to understand what was really the problem if it fails again.
On a v8 positioned as suggested ,good ventilation around sensor and cables and never a problem.
I don't think Innovate is really good, response and precision should be better but is possible to obtain a good map using it

Supercharged 1302
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

I bought my Innovative one from aircooled.net. Zero issues with it to date. But then it's the hand held model and I only use it for tuning and take the sensor back out. I see no need for me to run one all the time.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

I have installed 3 AEM in different vw's. All still working great. Easy O2 sensores also.

Brian
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

I use a plx and works great
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I bought my Innovative one from aircooled.net. Zero issues with it to date. But then it's the hand held model and I only use it for tuning and take the sensor back out. I see no need for me to run one all the time.

hmmm, come to think of it, i wouldn't be opposed to that at all Think ... CB Performance even sells an 02 extension that gets sandwiched between the collector and muffler flange to make it all happen.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

shoot for 12/1 or less at WOT for best performance..
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

From what I have read the new style 4.9 LSU is a little more prone to failure because the elemnt is thinner. Which is what makes it read more quickly than the old ones. From what I have read it is that element breaking that usually causes failure.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

That's a nice device.

Is there an easier one to use that doesn't require a hole in the muffler?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

The innovate used the Bosch 02 and it believe it is very easily messed up. I went through 2 or 3 because mine was running rich and messed them up.
Never again...
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

Mine has never seen richer than 11/1 or 11.5/1. That is pretty rich! I don't think you need a wide band to diagnose a condition that rich. That is where mine runs with the chokes on for starting.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

You wouldn’t make it quite under $200, but PLX has a Bluetooth adapter to use your smartphone if not interested in adding gauges to your dash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: $200 AFR Meter & Go Reply with quote

so are you saying the software is damaging the Bosch sensors cause im pretty sure all the listed above units are using the Bosch sensors except for the ngk unit which uses the expensive NTK sensor which will read richer and leaner than the Bosch LSU sensors
KROC head porting services
Dialedinperformance.com
Airspeedparts.com topic http://airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=914.0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: