Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 - Beetle, Vibration
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chathura918
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: 1959 - Beetle, Vibration Reply with quote

Hi everyone Very Happy ,
I'm building a 1959 vw beetle from bottom up and yesterday we did a test run. As you can see in the video, when I try to give the clutch, it makes a huge vibration and I can't complete that process(giving the clutch).

Any ideas about which causes this problem?

Thank you Smile

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I37E2T7iYg0
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 - Beetle, Vibration Reply with quote

Not enough curve on the Bowden tube can cause it, so can a bent disk, warped pressure plate or rough flywheel
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 - Beetle, Vibration Reply with quote

I have to agree with SlalomBuggy. I would give the same list of potential problems.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 - Beetle, Vibration Reply with quote

One more I would add to the list is broken mounts for the clutch cable tube in the pan

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 - Beetle, Vibration Reply with quote

I once had a beetle with a broken bowden tube retainer that shook pretty hard.

Don
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 - Beetle, Vibration Reply with quote

I just helped my brother-in-law with the same problem. Turned out to be a bad pressure plate.

Pull engine and with pressure plate/clutch assembly still attached to flywheel, put a straight-edge across the ring that the throwout bearing contacts, and measure to flywheel in several directions.

If measurements are all the same - and I mean all the same - the pressure plate is good and might be one of the other suggestions mentioned above instead.

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 - Beetle, Vibration Reply with quote

Is your front transmission mount good and tight? And, no broken nose cone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 - Beetle, Vibration Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Is your front transmission mount good and tight? And, no broken nose cone?

Yup-----the way that thing is bouncing around it has to be more than a chatter
caused by a bowden tube or a funny pressure plate. The engine looks like it is trying its best to leave the car. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: