Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resetting Speedometer
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Resetting Speedometer Reply with quote

Iam currently restoring a early 53 Oval 11g model.
I had to purchase a speedometer for it and found one on this site in great condition.
Trouble is the odometer reads about 78000 and I want it at "0". I do not want to take it apart as Iam sure I'll screw it up.
I was thinking maybe using a drill and speedo cable and resetting it that way.
Any ideas or cautions ?
Thanks John.

The most important thing on a Tombstone is the Dash between the 2 dates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Resetting Speedometer Reply with quote

3 methods can be used
1. if you're pretty handy, disassemble the speedo by removing the bezel and glass face. From there a screw driver can be used for further disassembly. Eventually you will get to the odometer gears and can reset them. Its more complicated than I'm making it sound, but I've done it several times. Its a very fiddly job....I wouldn't suggest that the speedometer on your car is the first one you attempt it on. Try it on some junker speedos first. Common errors are cracking the bezel, and scattering odometer dials all over the place.
2. The drill method....slow and tedious. But use an old speedo cable. This will take a VERY long time to simulate 22,000 miles of driving
3. Send it to shop like Palo Alto Speedometer, Hollywood Speedometer, or Seattle Speedometer
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Resetting Speedometer Reply with quote

It's much faster to do it by dismantling. It's not hard to do, I've done it dozens of times. And while you're in there, you can clean everything perfectly and freshen the speedo gels. There is no need to remove the fragile speedo needle in this process. I reset to zero by loosening the idler gear shaft located in parallel under the numeral rolls. Press the shaft axially with needle nose pliers, in the direction away from the 10K numeral roll. The shaft is just crimped; filing the crimp a little will make it easier to move. Pull the loosened shaft away from the numeral rolls slightly, and set the 3 highest numeral roll digits to zero. The 2 lowest numeral rolls can be set to zero by hand later, on the numeral roll drive gear. To move the numeral rolls, the vertical worm shaft must first be disengaged, usually done by separating the speedo head bottom half (2 screws or tabs). The speedo head halves should be rejoined while holding up lightly on the speedo needle, and feeling for when the needle shaft pops in and seats properly in the bearing in bottom half of the speedo head. Sounds complicated but really isn't.

Using a drill for large mileage changes is awkward and puts unnecessary wear on the assembly. It may howl and loosen up parts in the process; I would only do that for small mileage changes.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Resetting Speedometer Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
It's much faster to do it by dismantling. It's not hard to do, I've done it dozens of times. And while you're in there, you can clean everything perfectly and freshen the speedo gels. There is no need to remove the fragile speedo needle in this process. I reset to zero by loosening the idler gear shaft located in parallel under the numeral rolls. Press the shaft axially with needle nose pliers, in the direction away from the 10K numeral roll. The shaft is just crimped; filing the crimp a little will make it easier to move.

I've done it this way as well, many times. But I'll add that after getting the idler gear shaft back in after resetting the dials, I use a soldering iron and put a blob of solder on the end of the shaft that I filed to keep it from backing back out later...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Resetting Speedometer Reply with quote

Yes!! We engineers think alike!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: