Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

28PCI on a 40hp engine and tuning.
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: 28PCI on a 40hp engine and tuning. Reply with quote

I have a 1969 34/40hp '122' industrial engine in my '61 beetle, it came fitted with a 28PCI carb which is in great condition and the engine runs great. My first query is jetting, currently the carb has a 21.5mm venturi, 125 main jet and a 195 air correction jet. Does that sound right for this carb on a 40hp engine? The engine ran great and I have no real reason to suspect anything is wrong but I want to make sure everything is as good as it can/should be.

I'd also like to, if possible, extract a touch more power from the engine so if that means re-jetting that's ok, gas mileage is not my primary concern. I have a rebuilt 019 distributor to install and i'm wondering whether to fit some 1.25 rockers on the intake? The muffler I have is a VW stamped item but it has larger end pipes, i'm not sure if this would have been from when it was used as an actual industrial motor, they definitely aren't pea shooter pipes! At this moment in time I'm looking for mild tuning improvements on the stock engine.

When the time comes for more in depth tuning I have a spare 1970 40hp engine to use to rebuild or for parts (a spare set of 373 heads for example).

Thanks in advance!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 28PCI on a 40hp engine and tuning. Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
I have a 1969 34/40hp '122' industrial engine in my '61 beetle, it came fitted with a 28PCI carb which is in great condition and the engine runs great. My first query is jetting, currently the carb has a 21.5mm venturi, 125 main jet and a 195 air correction jet. Does that sound right for this carb on a 40hp engine? The engine ran great and I have no real reason to suspect anything is wrong but I want to make sure everything is as good as it can/should be.

I'd also like to, if possible, extract a touch more power from the engine so if that means re-jetting that's ok, gas mileage is not my primary concern. I have a rebuilt 019 distributor to install and i'm wondering whether to fit some 1.25 rockers on the intake? The muffler I have is a VW stamped item but it has larger end pipes, i'm not sure if this would have been from when it was used as an actual industrial motor, they definitely aren't pea shooter pipes! At this moment in time I'm looking for mild tuning improvements on the stock engine.

When the time comes for more in depth tuning I have a spare 1970 40hp engine to use to rebuild or for parts (a spare set of 373 heads for example).

Thanks in advance!
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. in the 1970s I had a 40hp motor. I put a 30 pict -1 carb off of a 1967 bug on my 40hp motor . it will give a little more power in has a high speed enrichment discharge tube it made a very street friendly motor much more fun to drive it pulled hills better . I ran a 019 disy. and formula vee exhaust tips in the stock muffler . keep the stock air cleaner it has a built in stack for fuel stand off . most guys take off the stock air cleaner only to have there bugs lose power at top end. to me this was the best carb to put on a single port motor . I for got the jetting I ran in that carb .40hp motors run and run and run . this worked for me good luck spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 28PCI on a 40hp engine and tuning. Reply with quote

I would build a 1385cc engine with 1300 heads (single port or dual port, that's your choice). There are single port intake curve castings already avaliable. Would use those with a cb performance hi flow center section with a 31 or 34 pict 3.

1.25:1 intakes 1.1:1 exhaust or a performance cam like engle 100 or cb 2280. If you decide to go dual carbs you can use a more agressive cam.

Good exhaust and ignition and you are ready to go. Strong powerful engine that will push much better than a stock 1.6 due to the added compression of the 1385cc kit.

Add more carburation with the stock intake manifold is a waste of time, money and gas

Also using 1300 heads gives you more flow and porting capability. Here in Europe dual port 1300 heads are often avaliable as used. Don't know in the states.

Hope this helps you.

Alberto

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 28PCI on a 40hp engine and tuning. Reply with quote

Albertoprop17 wrote:
I would build a 1385cc engine with 1300 heads (single port or dual port, that's your choice). There are single port intake curve castings already avaliable. Would use those with a cb performance hi flow center section with a 31 or 34 pict 3.

1.25:1 intakes 1.1:1 exhaust or a performance cam like engle 100 or cb 2280. If you decide to go dual carbs you can use a more agressive cam.

Good exhaust and ignition and you are ready to go. Strong powerful engine that will push much better than a stock 1.6 due to the added compression of the 1385cc kit.

Add more carburation with the stock intake manifold is a waste of time, money and gas

Also using 1300 heads gives you more flow and porting capability. Here in Europe dual port 1300 heads are often avaliable as used. Don't know in the states.

Hope this helps you.

Alberto

I have entered a vintage VW ‘rally’ in the stock class so at present my focus is on the current engine, whilst I have the spare engine I have other priorities I need to sort first before spending the time rebuilding that engine.

I’ve read a few posts on here and I thought it would be fun to see what a mildly tuned 40hp would be like before I have the time and resources to dedicate to a full rebuild.

Thanks Spencer for your info 🙂
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 28PCI on a 40hp engine and tuning. Reply with quote

Here are a few mods I did to a 28 PCI that should wake up a 40hp a bit...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490305&highlight=28+pic

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: 28PCI on a 40hp engine and tuning. Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:

Casey

I love that choke delete bracket!

In my parts stash I found a 30 Pict 1 (VW 105-1) so I’m going to have it modified for bronze spindle bushes and then I’ll rebuild it. Will it be ok to just change the 12v choke and pilot jet valve to 6v items?
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 28PCI on a 40hp engine and tuning. Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
earthquake wrote:

Casey

In my parts stash I found a 30 Pict 1 (VW 105-1) so I’m going to have it modified for bronze spindle bushes and then I’ll rebuild it. Will it be ok to just ….change the 12v choke and pilot jet valve to 6v items?
……………………………………….I like what your doing your having fun .your not spending a lot of money .and your going to see how much more power you can make. to me that's fun .yea any one can spend money on a bigger motor. but some times a stock motor build is more fun good luck 40hp for ever .lol spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 28PCI on a 40hp engine and tuning. Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
SteveW wrote:
earthquake wrote:

Casey

In my parts stash I found a 30 Pict 1 (VW 105-1) so I’m going to have it modified for bronze spindle bushes and then I’ll rebuild it. Will it be ok to just ….change the 12v choke and pilot jet valve to 6v items?
……………………………………….I like what your doing your having fun .your not spending a lot of money .and your going to see how much more power you can make. to me that's fun .yea any one can spend money on a bigger motor. but some times a stock motor build is more fun good luck 40hp for ever .lol spencerfvee

That's the plan! My last Beetle was a full race car with a 250hp engine built by Pat Downs and it was superb, but I didn't build it and I didn't refresh/rebuild it, I was reliant on others. This build is all about doing as much as I can possibly can myself and starting a from a stock engine with a single carb and working from there but keeping it old speed!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: