Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leistritz Muffler Paint or not?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Leistritz Muffler Paint or not? Reply with quote

I picked up a Leistritz muffler from the classifieds for an SP engine I'm building.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It cost more than many would spend. Embarassed Buy once! Cry once!
But I figure that my time is worth more than the price increase versus fitting a Jopex muffler that many vendors are selling these day's. Many here have complained that the Jopex mufflers are terrible to fit-up. Right out of the box.

So my question is...
What to paint it with, or is paint really needed? The muffler gets hot and burns off the paint anyway.
I have painted headers in the past with VHT high temp header paint. The paint curing process involved baking the headers in an oven. That was easy. But a complete VW muffler will not fit in an oven for curing.

What would you do?

Thank you for reading.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Leistritz Muffler Paint or not? Reply with quote

I'd run it as is. Mufflers normally rust from the inside out anyway, so stripping and painting it won't make much difference in the long run.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Leistritz Muffler Paint or not? Reply with quote

Run it. It will burn the paint off in short order, then wire brush it off & paint it with some VHT or other header paint.

The VHT instructions also include a run on car cure process.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Leistritz Muffler Paint or not? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
I'd run it as is. Mufflers normally rust from the inside out anyway, so stripping and painting it won't make much difference in the long run.

Perfect. That was my thought as well. Just wanted to check with my fellow enthusiasts.

Thank you for the input.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Leistritz Muffler Paint or not? Reply with quote

Have you considered ceramic coating?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Leistritz Muffler Paint or not? Reply with quote

Would it fit in your barbecue for curing?
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Leistritz Muffler Paint or not? Reply with quote

Though I don't know the brand, during my rebuild last winter I thoroughly wire brushed and sanded my stock muffler, then painted it with silver, VHT paint.

Because the rebuilding process took some time, the muffler had a month to sit and cure on it's own. I think that helped. Once I installed it, it must have cured some more while being used because it still looks good overall.

Over the last driving season for this NOT DAILY driver (in NJ that's Spring through Fall), I've touched up a couple spots with a hit of spray paint after a quick wire brushing, but it still looks pretty good.

Any muffler paint is going to hold up better on cars that are not daily drivers. Clearly, driving in the rain/snow is sure to make exterior muffler paint much more susceptible to peeling and rust.

In my opinion, paint or not, it's up to you.
bruce jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Leistritz Muffler Paint or not? Reply with quote

I like to use VHT Grey Engine Primer. It's pretty close to the original color on these mufflers, readily available, pretty durable, and easy to re-touch.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Leistritz Muffler Paint or not? Reply with quote

I'd paint it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Leistritz Muffler Paint or not? Reply with quote

This stuff has been hard to find in stock, and many won't ship to California, but at one time I bought this at a Pep Boys and it's worked great over the years. It's pretty close to the flat dark gray they came painted with.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-High-Heat-Flat...lsrc=aw.ds
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Leistritz Muffler Paint or not? Reply with quote

For those of you who used the high heat primers did you overcoat the primer or run it as is? Was not thinking it could be used as a top coat.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Leistritz Muffler Paint or not? Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
For those of you who used the high heat primers did you overcoat the primer or run it as is?

You can do it either way...just depends on what you want the final color to be. The top coat needs to be hi-temp paint as well.

Also, you really don't need to follow the elaborate curing process that's recommend for most of these hi-heat rattle can paints. I just strip the original finish off the muffler, then spray on a few thin coats of hi-temp paint without using any primer. After the paint fully dries, I install the muffler and let exhaust heat do the curing as I drive the car as I normally do. I have one muffler that's been in service for 10 years that was done like this and it still looks great.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: