Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another dim headlight question
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

I am confused.
'66 Beetle.
6 volt.
very original car---well maintained its entire life.
fuse block nice and shiny. all connections appear good.

for this test:
Headlights are removed/ unplugged from bulbs.
taillight fuses removed....so the only thing powered up is the dimmer relay and the blue indicator light.

I just took some readings with my multi-meter with engine not running:
battery:6.36 v
generator :6.36 v
big red wire @ fuse block:6.35 v
Turn on headlight switch----readings at fuse block:
Low beam:6.29v
High beam:6.18 v PLUS .2 v+/- at Low beam terminals.
In other words, it appears that some High beam voltage is being "bled" to the Low beam circuit.
Is this normal? Can the dimmer relay have an internal flaw?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

You are loosing 0.2 volts to a bad ground connection. Check all the connection points from the headlight bulb ground terminal to, and including, a good body ground connection.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
You are loosing 0.2 volts to a bad ground connection. Check all the connection points from the headlight bulb ground terminal to, and including, a good body ground connection.

The headlights are unplugged. All I am testing is voltage at the terminal block
with no load. What puzzles me is that when in the low-beam mode I see 6.29 v
at the low beam terminal (zero at High terminal), but when I engage High Beam (the relay goes "click") I'm seeing voltage at BOTH the high and low terminals at the same time. Can that be right?
Kind of like a faucet that delivers cold water, but when you turn the cold off and turn the Hot on some cold sneaks in there and cools it down a bit.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

The High Low relay is toggle, you only get power to one side or the other. This image is of a 12V version, but the setup is the same. At the bottom right you can see the contacts, they only route power in on direction or the other.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The High Low relay is toggle, you only get power to one side or the other. This image is of a 12V version, but the setup is the same. At the bottom right you can see the contacts, they only route power in on direction or the other.

That is what I would have expected.
Now to figure out why I'm getting "bleed over".
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
EVfun wrote:

at the low beam terminal (zero at High terminal), but when I engage High Beam (the relay goes "click") I'm seeing voltage at BOTH the high and low terminals at the same time. Can that be right?
Kind of like a faucet that delivers cold water, but when you turn the cold off and turn the Hot on some cold sneaks in there and cools it down a bit.

With the headlights unplugged what I posted earlier doesn't apply. I am not sure why you would have some crossover voltage.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
iowegian wrote:
EVfun wrote:

With the headlights unplugged what I posted earlier doesn't apply. I am not sure why you would have some crossover voltage.

I've spent the morning double checking and it sure appears that the problem is internally in the relay-----somehow. So maybe I'll open up the relay for a look-see and after I fubar it I'll have to buy a new one.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

That is baffling indeed. Does it still happen if you remove the high beam indicator bulb?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

Well, I opened up the relay and I find nothing wrong (but what do I know?).
It looks like new, but I squirted some contact cleaner at it anyway.
Now I'll put everything back together and see what happens.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
That is baffling indeed. Does it still happen if you remove the high beam indicator bulb?

Good point-----I hadn't thought about that. The indicator bulb is the only load in the circuit at this point.
I'll put everything back together and the check that.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

As someone else already pointed out, the relay is a binary device and is unlikely to have any leakage currents, particularly in one direction only. Where are you connecting your voltmeter to ground?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
As someone else already pointed out, the relay is a binary device and is unlikely to have any leakage currents, particularly in one direction only. Where are you connecting your voltmeter to ground?

For whatever reason, the leakage now appears to be minimal but it is with both High and Low circuits---------not a "zero" reading but random numbers flashing
where yesterday I was seeing an actual number. (Could be my Harbor Freight meter. Embarassed ).
I was just using the back of the speedometer as ground, but now have a dedicated lead from the negative battery post for testing. The results have been similar.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

The back of the speedo can easily be a less than perfect ground. Using a perfect ground elsewhere should eliminate any potential interference from the high beam indicator and gauge lighting circuits.

If the multimeter gives small spurious readings, it could be a fault with the probes and (if applicable) the tightness of the plug-in sockets. Sometimes a small re-tensioning of contacts can do wonders. Or just try a better meter.

0.2 V was not much....hopefully the mystery goes away with a tweak to technique or multimeter.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

So far so good.
Using the dedicated ground I get the following readings:
Headlight bulbs not plugged in.
Taillight fuses removed.
Ignition off.

Fused side of fuse block where power comes from light switch---6.31 volts (same as at battery)

High beam socket at fender bucket----6.26 volts

Low beam socket " " " -----6.28 volts
(both left and right the same within .01 volt)

"crossover" not measurable.

I get the same readings using Chassis ground as with the "dedicated ground".

Quite honestly I do not know what changed, but I'll find out when I go for a drive after dark. Thanks for your help guys.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Well, I opened up the relay and I find nothing wrong (but what do I know?).
It looks like new, but I squirted some contact cleaner at it anyway.
Now I'll put everything back together and see what happens.

I love those pictures! They show exactly what is going on in that special relay. You can see how each time the arm/pin is pulled down it flips the mechanism from one connect to the other. You can also see that extra contact on the upper right that connects down to the right side high beam contact. That contact is only closed while the relay coil is powered. That is the alternative power pathway that causes the high beams to flash any time you pull on the turn signal switch.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

UPDATE:
Went for a short drive tonight and the low beams are about the same as they were before, but the high beams are MUCH improved. Why??---I do not know for sure.
On another related subject-------maybe I'll rethink the H-4s that are in it now and go back to good old fashioned sealed beams---------or maybe LEDs?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
UPDATE:
Went for a short drive tonight and the low beams are about the same as they were before, but the high beams are MUCH improved. Why??---I do not know for sure.
On another related subject-------maybe I'll rethink the H-4s that are in it now and go back to good old fashioned sealed beams---------or maybe LEDs?

Sealed beams suck, and you can fit certain LED bulbs into your H4 assemblies for low current AND high brightness, still with a better pattern that any DOT sealed beam. These are $$$, though.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
iowegian wrote:
UPDATE:

Sealed beams suck, and you can fit certain LED bulbs into your H4 assemblies for low current AND high brightness, still with a better pattern that any DOT sealed beam. These are $$$, though.

I got some from Busdepot at a great price https://www.busdepot.com/nl910ch4
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
iowegian wrote:
UPDATE:

I meant the LED-based H4 replacement bulbs are $$$, not the lamp housings.
https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/bulbs-only/vc4000-bulbs-only/
$129 a pair. Cheaper ones are, well, cheaper.

Those housings you linked to are a little more stock-looking, in that the front lens is curved, not flat like the Hella units.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dim headlight question Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
iowegian wrote:
UPDATE:

I meant the LED-based H4 replacement bulbs are $$$, not the lamp housings.
https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/bulbs-only/vc4000-bulbs-only/
$129 a pair. Cheaper ones are, well, cheaper.

Those housings you linked to are a little more stock-looking, in that the front lens is curved, not flat like the Hella units.

They are curved E-codes. I have them. With the H4's in them they are a great alternative to LED's. I tried a no-name pair of LED's in the E-codes and I did not like them. They look cool, but at night the low beams are almost non-existent.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: