Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

Thought i'd start a build thread so I can tap into the great minds available here. I have never built a rail or buggy before, but it is on my bucket list, so here goes.

I purchased a 4 seater Cruiser kit because I wanted extra space for an ice chest or whatever, and for more leg room as I'm 6'3'' . I think the storage closer to the front makes for better weight distribution as opposed to a pickup kit added on.

I own a hydraulic/air tube bender and a JD2 tube knotcher. My welding skills are poor, so I may have to hide some of the welds from you all. Rolling Eyes I unpacked the kit and after about 6 hours I had the pieces sorted out and tacked into place.

Previously I had been assembling a front end using combo link pin spindles and a 6" wider warrior front beam. The plan is to run coil over shocks all the way around.

Some pictures of the assembly:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please, please feel free to comment or advise me as I blindly move forward. I have much to learn.
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

I have a 1776 engine that is fresh from overhaul, and a 002 transmission also fresh. The plan was to run these, but then as luck would have it, a complete running car with a 1ZZFE 1.8L came my way. I checked with Kennedy adapters, and they support this combo, so that is what I will do.

Still working on the housing, but nearly there.

biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

I ordered some 930 CV's and flanges. I hope to order the rear arms within the next few days. Then I double check my measurements and fully weld the chassis together.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

How do you plan to use this car? Desert of West Texas? Sand Dunes in OK? Drive on the street to car shows?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
How do you plan to use this car? Desert of West Texas? Sand Dunes in OK? Drive on the street to car shows?

I will use it on our West Texas ranch. If legislation changes so we can legally title sand rails to drive on the streets, then I will make it street legal. I am a member of the group helping to change the law to make it happen. It is a group effort called "Save The Texas DuneBuggy". Headed by a guy named Faron. Since I live so far away from Austin, I only donate money to help pay attorney fees and such.

I have access to hundreds of miles of jeep trails. It can be a rugged or tame as you want. Personally, I like rugged. Twisted Evil
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

What kind of welder do you have ? I can't understand why you are dissatisfied with your welds. Practice makes perfect. If you are using flux core you should convert to shielding gas and normal ER70-s6 wire. For the majority of welding you are doing a GOOD 120V welder is all you need. The metal will be 1/8" or less for the most part. You DO need a high amp 120V outlet and no wimpy extension cords.
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
What kind of welder do you have ? I can't understand why you are dissatisfied with your welds. Practice makes perfect. If you are using flux core you should convert to shielding gas and normal ER70-s6 wire. For the majority of welding you are doing a GOOD 120V welder is all you need. The metal will be 1/8" or less for the most part. You DO need a high amp 120V outlet and no wimpy extension cords.

I have a 220V Miller MIG. I’m running CO2 mix. It’s a full size machine. I purchased it used several years ago from a professional welder. It works perfectly. I just haven’t practiced enough is all. I‘m getting there but the beads aren’t as pretty as I’d like. I have a tendency for the beads to not lay as wide and flat as I see others. I plan to visit a friend soon who is a pro. Get some pointers from him.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

Most beginners don't have the heat up far enough. I will give you one tip. For every power setting there is a very small range of wire speed that will give good results. You have to figure out the wire speed by trial and error. If the wire seems to be pushing the torch away from the joint then the speed is too high. If the torch seems to be going zzziiittttt zzziiiitttt zzziiiitttt then the wire speed is too low. In the middle of those 2 extremes will be the proper wire speed for that dia of wire and that power setting. You may have to turn up the speed a tiny bit for doing overhead welding. I keep a business card in my machine with all the settings written on the back.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

There is a saying...
"Don't learn to weld building your first race car"
So please get some instruction from either your friend or even You-tube and practice, you would not want a tube to break loose and hurt you or a family member. If it sounds like bacon frying you should be getting a decent weld.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

Today I drove my donor car to my shop. I’m not 100% sure I will do the Toyota engine swap, but I’m leaning that direction. The engine has 150K on the clock and she runs perfectly. Started right up after sitting a year. For $200 with a title I couldn’t pass it up.

Tomorrow my tie rods arrive. They will allow me to see what my travel is and can order shocks.
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

Got the engine and wiring pulled. Hoping to get it all cleaned up soon.

biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

Looking at the belt routing. I think I can delete the A/C and the power steering units and still make it all work.

StreetRailFun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

Looking good with the work. How is the progress coming along?
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

Was that Toy motor a FWD motor? make sure you can use it as a RWD. sometimes they are different, some Nissan have the same basic motor for front and rear drive but there is a bell housing flange difference. sounds crazy I know.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Big Al
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

[quote="biotex"]I have a 1776 engine that is fresh from overhaul, and a 002 transmission also fresh. The plan was to run these, but then as luck would have it, a complete running car with a 1ZZFE 1.8L came my way. I checked with Kennedy adapters, and they support this combo, so that is what I will do.

Still working on the housing, but nearly there.

Your 930 CV's might require a notch in the frame horns. If you box the trailing arms don't do it until you check the 930's there too.

Al
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

biotex wrote:
rayjay wrote:

I have a 220V Miller MIG. I’m running CO2 mix. It’s a full size machine. I purchased it used several years ago from a professional welder. It works perfectly. I just haven’t practiced enough is all. I‘m getting there but the beads aren’t as pretty as I’d like. I have a tendency for the beads to not lay as wide and flat as I see others. I plan to visit a friend soon who is a pro. Get some pointers from him.

Hey, going back to this about your welder from a few months ago...
You say you are set up with CO2 gas. Then later you say that the welds do not seem to lay out as wide as those by others. The CO2 is part of that issue. It makes a deep penetration, but narrow bead. Argon makes a wide but shallow bead. 75-25 is most popular gas for MIG welders because it makes a bead that is between the CO2 and the Argon. Wider than CO2, but deeper than Argon.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

I thought I put this in your thread but I don't see it so here is my build for you to look at if you haven't https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577601&highlight=

Ed
Timofeykuz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Berrien Cruiser with 1ZZFE Toyota 1.8L and mid travel coil over Reply with quote

Hey there. I'm new to this Forum. But I'm also building a 1zzfe buggy and I'm wondering if you ended up making up something that produces the right vss signal for the ECM. Let me know, thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: