Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

Parts sites? I wanted to know which one most use and why. I always look in the Samba classified first. Reason I ask as there is one comes to mind I have had nothing other than bad experience with.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

buyers and sellers feedback section
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

A lot of places are like that. What might have been good a year ago might be slipping today, due to suppliers. A place that was bad a year ago might have cleaned up their act. Some places just sell good stuff, and leave the low end stuff for others to sell. If you're in this long enough, you'll see sellers come and go. I used to like buying from Rocky Mountain Motorwerks for example, but they're gone now. They had a nice line of type 3 parts, and used VW part numbers. Most of their stuff was fairly decent quality, and they shipped quickly.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

Yes, it is allowed.

Erik G wrote:
buyers and sellers feedback section

Yes, post in this section.

Do a search first for the shop or parts place - they may already have an ongoing thread.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
A lot of places are like that. What might have been good a year ago might be slipping today, due to suppliers. A place that was bad a year ago might have cleaned up their act. Some places just sell good stuff, and leave the low end stuff for others to sell. If you're in this long enough, you'll see sellers come and go. I used to like buying from Rocky Mountain Motorwerks for example, but they're gone now. They had a nice line of type 3 parts, and used VW part numbers. Most of their stuff was fairly decent quality, and they shipped quickly.

You already know about the three point seat plastic guides I got . I went to another on-line supplier and got a set for less and they look just like the originals. They actually fit in the floor tracks. I emailed the first place and was told since the part is not listed for a type three then it's my fault. The fact is the very same part number on the site I got the second set has the same part number and they fit all late model three point seats, the difference is they make their own, it's not some vendor who makes junk.

All the places I used to be able to walk in and buy type 3 parts are gone now there were 3 all that is left are on-line.

Point being if anyone needs these three point plastic guides WCM is the place to go. CIP1 is good as well and ISP West> I still need to do research because some parts are not available at all. Some parts are garbage so you have to work on them to fit like my horn contact ring. Joel Mitchell is great , went way out of his way.

I leave feedback lately on any site that provides good used or aftermarket parts and I read the ratings on any part I may need.

It's just a shame there are no walk in places I can just drive to other than ISP West and autozone and O'reilly and ISP is a long drive.

My only wish is my 73 was a 4 speed , I never cared for automatics only owned 5 , I like shifting gears.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

You already know about the three point seat plastic guides I got . I went to another on-line supplier and got a set for less and they look just like the originals. They actually fit in the floor tracks. I emailed the first place and

All the places I used to be able to walk in and buy type 3 parts are gone now there were 3 all that is left are on-line.

Some parts are garbage so you have to work on them to fit like my horn contact ring. Joel Mitchell is great , went way out of his way.

I leave feedback lately on any site that provides good used or aftermarket parts and I read the ratings on any part I may need.

It's just a shame there are no walk in places I can just drive to other than ISP West and autozone and O'reilly and ISP is a long drive.

Yup, I know. I bought some from RMMW back when they were still in business. I needed them for my 76 bug.
Unless you live in SoCal, you're stuck with mail order/on line parts shopping. Ask those of us NOT in California.
As for some parts being garbage, well there's not much you can do about it, unless you can find good used OE parts. This has been a complaint of mine and Tram's and others here for years. You really have to do your home work in order to get what you want the first time. Quality truly does suck on some parts too. Parts that should never give you trouble, are suddenly the ones that are causing problems. Like KTPhil ran into with his shift bushing for example. A part that's never caused a problem before, suddenly has an install issue and an early failure. WTF?? The nylon used was a different type. Not much you can do about it, except using a different supplier.
The zone or O'Reilly's are places for parts you need now. If you keep that in mind, you'll to better.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
blues90 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

You already know about the three point seat plastic guides I got . I went to another on-line supplier and got a set for less and they look just like the originals. They actually fit in the floor tracks. I emailed the first place and

Some parts are garbage so you have to work on them to fit like my horn contact ring. Joel Mitchell is great , went way out of his way.

Yup, I know. I bought some from RMMW back when they were still in business. I needed them for my 76 bug.
Unless you live in SoCal, you're stuck with mail order/on line parts shopping. Ask those of us NOT in California.
As for some parts being garbage, well there's not much you can do about it, unless you can find good used OE parts. This has been a complaint of mine and Tram's and others here for years. You really have to do your home work in order to get what you want the first time. Quality truly does suck on some parts too. Parts that should never give you trouble, are suddenly the ones that are causing problems. Like KTPhil ran into with his shift bushing for example. A part that's never caused a problem before, suddenly has an install issue and an early failure. WTF?? The nylon used was a different type. Not much you can do about it, except using a different supplier.
The zone or O'Reilly's are places for parts you need now. If you keep that in mind, you'll to better.

The seat slides I got from WCM fit perfect , I installed the right seat today I have a follow up with photo's of the original ones in my original post https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=729932, they are different yet still fit and worked. I got the nylon friction washers for the heater levers from CIP1 and even though they were thinner that the stock ones , I used two on the inside the the lever than another washer so it would at least fit without bending the outer stops behind the lock nut. They work , for how long who can say yet at least they are holding mine were falling apart and not one hardware store here had anything close , the one that was not holding was the temp because the heat ex changers have a return spring and it happened suddenly and only because I needed the heat this winter colder than normal.

Autozone and O'reillys are only good for oil and a few items and most is never in stock at least the products I want . Sure the 2 port fuel pump and fuel filter and vacuum hose, tie rod ends. When it comes to points or any ignition parts living in southern CA has no benefit. I just shop around to see what on-line site has the best product at the best price. I check Amazon they had good points and Napa has better ones yet they are at least an hours drive one way from me. We don't have interstate batteries or rather fire stone any more.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

I get 90% of my parts from Rockauto, never had a problem. What's cool about them, is once you buy, they will occasionally send you emails about clearance parts for your car, that can be up 75% off. However, if its really specialty Type 3 parts ISP West.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

With Rock Auto, do not purchase some items like type 3 rear drums. They come to you out of round machining. so buyer be aware.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

Since Volkswagen never had an aftermarket, classic parts division that caters to the cars that made them a global force, we will never see anything like the OE-NOS stuff of yesterday.

Good news though. You are still alive and kicking. The car runs for now. Enjoy both those things while you can.

Support any ACVW store that caters to us, even the shit ones. Support any niche market enthusiasts that crop up and are willing to make something. Support any site like the Samba willing to give a platform to your hobby.

Without these, you will truly be cold and alone.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

I do find it funny that someone in socal is complaining about lack of shops
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Might be funny, complaining not really. Sure there are shops if I wanted to visit one like ISP West and want to spend 2 hours driving if you're lucky and don't end up sitting on a freeway for another hour. There are others that are quite a bit further away.

It costs more for fuel than the shipping and I can call and inquire if they have what I need and get an honest answer then just order it.

If you have not driven in southern Calif that might qualify as funny. Laughing Rolling Eyes
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Since Volkswagen never had an aftermarket, classic parts division that caters to the cars that made them a global force, we will never see anything like the OE-NOS stuff of yesterday.

Good news though. You are still alive and kicking. The car runs for now. Enjoy both those things while you can.

Support any ACVW store that caters to us, even the shit ones. Support any niche market enthusiasts that crop up and are willing to make something. Support any site like the Samba willing to give a platform to your hobby.

Oh like back in the day when you looked forward to your newest WCM catalog? Or vendors were found in ads of Hot VWs, or VW Trends magazines? You know, before the internet.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

I liked it before the internet and when I could buy local , hell I didn't have internet until 2001. I will say I like the internet for information and others experience that lacks in the Bentley and other manuals. I still did get by because local VW parts brick and mortar had knowledge.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

I live 30 minutes away from CB performance, yet I would not step in the door when it was Claude's Buggies. Did mail order to others places then. However now that its CB's its another story and a Save lots on shipping by picking up my Brad Penn, or other Zinc lased oil.

I AM NOT STARTING AN OIL THREAD!!! THIS IS WHAT I DO, IF YOU DON'T FINE.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Oh like back in the day when you looked forward to your newest WCM catalog? Or vendors were found in ads of Hot VWs, or VW Trends magazines? You know, before the internet.

Dont forget going to the wrecker and finding 40-50 ACVW's and a Porsche or six. Wink

Not to sit in the rocker on the porch and wax nostalgic. Rolling Eyes Those days are long gone. Memories our children will never know, just like the memories of your elders walking in the snow uphill, both ways, the soda shop, sock hop, cruzing, packing the trunk at the drive in or using a rotary dial phone. Laughing

My point was they need support. Even shitty suppliers fertilize the garden. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Dont forget going to the wrecker and finding 40-50 ACVW's and a Porsche or six. Wink

Not to sit in the rocker on the porch and wax nostalgic. Rolling Eyes Those days are long gone. Memories our children will never know, just like the memories of your elders walking in the snow uphill, both ways, the soda shop, sock hop, cruzing, packing the trunk at the drive in or using a rotary dial phone. Laughing

My point was they need support. Even shitty suppliers fertilize the garden. Cool

Yup, I remember listening to those old timers, driving around all night cruising on a buck, and in a hot rod too.
Yes, I remember that days when you could walk into the VW section of a junk yard and see many types of air cooled VWs, and them all not just be bugs.
Yup, my mom would talk about soda shops, and sock hops, while my dad would regale us in how he and his brother would super cool beer just have a really cold one. Cool
And sorry, but I'm old enough to remember rotatory phones and party lines. So I didn't have to wait to hear those stories.

I tried to help as much as I could for my local FLAPS, but the owner decided to close because he was getting too old to keep doing it. I'd go in and have him order me up some VW parts on occasion, as I wasn't in a hurry for them. I also knew he didn't have anything in stock.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Might be funny, complaining not really. Sure there are shops if I wanted to visit one like ISP West and want to spend 2 hours driving if you're lucky and don't end up sitting on a freeway for another hour. There are others that are quite a bit further away.

It costs more for fuel than the shipping and I can call and inquire if they have what I need and get an honest answer then just order it.

If you have not driven in southern Calif that might qualify as funny. Laughing Rolling Eyes

Yes, I'm a native Californian. Most of us would be happy to be within 30 miles of ISP west and the plethora of socal VW shops instead of waiting a week to get quality parts. Traffic is not unique to socal, I too drive 35+ to get home 10 miles away Rolling Eyes
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Yup, I remember listening to those old timers, driving around all night cruising on a buck, and in a hot rod too.
Yes, I remember that days when you could walk into the VW section of a junk yard and see many types of air cooled VWs, and them all not just be bugs.
Yup, my mom would talk about soda shops, and sock hops, while my dad would regale us in how he and his brother would super cool beer just have a really cold one. Cool
And sorry, but I'm old enough to remember rotatory phones and party lines. So I didn't have to wait to hear those stories.

I tried to help as much as I could for my local FLAPS, but the owner decided to close because he was getting too old to keep doing it. I'd go in and have him order me up some VW parts on occasion, as I wasn't in a hurry for them. I also knew he didn't have anything in stock.

I went back home for christmas, and within a mile of driving I saw a baywindow driving, lots of old trucks, and you could tell they were their daily drivers. Head to the junk yard and there are still old cars, but no more AC vw's at the pick n pulls, they are selling for more now, and the specialty VW junk yards grab them for cores and sheet metal. I remember even 10 years ago, pick and pull would have bay windows and a few bugs and type 3's. absolutely zero VW's now
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it allowed on Samba to talk about on-line Volkswagen replacem Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
blues90 wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Yes, I'm a native Californian. Most of us would be happy to be within 30 miles of ISP west and the plethora of socal VW shops instead of waiting a week to get quality parts. Traffic is not unique to socal, I too drive 35+ to get home 10 miles away Rolling Eyes

I guess it depends where in Texas you live. Just to get on the freeway to get to ISP from home takes 35 minutes . All the other VW shops that sell on-line are much further south depending if one buys into the Google traffic times. Jbugs is over 2 hours away and WCM 1.5 . There are no pick and pull VW places here any longer.

I just don't see the benefit of driving over shipping since if one is buying small parts shipping is on average $8. The fuel here is near $5 per gallon.

I went to ISP once for a fender because it cost far to much to ship.

If driving appeals to you I have no issue with it. In the last 20 years I've seen one old air cooled bus and one type 3. At ISP West yes there were more not many though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: