Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

There seems to be scattered posts for Vanagon security and the all too often STOLEN van threads.

I figure we can have a central thread for theft prevention ideas.

This comes about as my van has been repeatedly broken into in our buildings ‘secure’ underground parking. (We are working on making the parking more secure and installing cameras)

There also seems to have been a number of Vanagon thefts in the PNW.

I have a few ideas for alerting owners when their vans have been entered. I also will he installing a budget but effective car alarm this week.

To alert me if my van has been entered, I’m using a WiFi smart door sensor.
I’m using The brand Globe as I didn’t want a hub to run all this. The Globe products work off of WiFi alone, in conjunction with a phone app.

The van front doors, and some sliding doors are all wired to activate the dome lights. This can be exploited to use relays to trigger alerts and alarms.

All the switches work by grounding at the switch and completing the circuit causing the light to come on. The lights have constant (+) power.

This is the Globe smart door sensor. It uses a magnet and a reed switch to trigger the notification. I removed the reed switch and added two wires instead. These wires will join the relay ‘always on’ (as my reed switch was conducting in the door closed position.
I’ll use the ground wire from the door switches to activated the relay and break the connection of the wires coming out of the sensor.

When the doors open, triggering the sensor, I get multiple tones on my phone alerting me that the van doors have been opened. I also have a smart wall socket that gets switched on when this happens, and turns a light on in my bedroom. To make sure I wake up (the break-ins happen at night of course).

This brand works for me, but so many brands to choose from.

If your van is close to your WiFi connection and you are worried about the security of your van. I highly recommend this.

I’m also adding a loud siren using the same door switches and another relay. I’ll be using a remote to turn the system on and off.

Here are some photos of how I hacked the door sensor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Have you asked yourself why? they keep breaking into your westy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Thread cleaned up. Let's stick to security and theft prevention, please.

And, beach's reply to the preceding post accidentally got removed. Embarassed Here's the reply:

beach_creature wrote:
the joker wrote:
Have you asked yourself why? they keep breaking into your westy.

My van has been spared for years, while the other cars were getting broken into. I’ve been leaving the van unlocked as I don’t want to deal with broken windows.

A few months back then went in my van and went through the glove box. They took a tire deflator.

Then recently they came back again and went through the whole van. I guess they figured I had more stuff. The only thing they took this time that I know about is a headlmp. They left other things I figured had value. Thankfully not to them.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

I have a kill switch buried where you'd never find it - unless you buy the van. Not to the fuel pump, not the ignition . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I have a kill switch buried where you'd never find it - unless you buy the van. Not to the fuel pump, not the ignition . . .

I hope you've left instructions somewhere for your decedents!

I'm reminded of Stan's story from the Gerry Vanagon ListServ:
He bought a 911S from an estate and had it shipped to him in Texas. It wouldn't start and it took him quite a while to figure out that the deceased PO had wired the fuel pump through the ceiling light switch as a theft deterrent!! Shocked
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:

If the crook can't find the kill switch, how is is going to kill himself?

Bug On! Running Over Theives!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Can you arm the kill switch to stun only? That might be handy for when you have the van in the shop, or valet parking, and dont want to accidentally get the mechanic or attendant killed, yet it will still offer some theft protection.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Need ideas on a Subaru 2.2 kill switch option. I plan on adding one to the fuel pump relay input but want to make sure I do it right so nothing is hurt if the motor is turned over with the starter. (I'm paranoid Ill somehow fry something else, like my computer!) Wink

Or should I just interrupt the starter supply wire on the key harness somewhere close to the dash? That might make locating the switch up front easier.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:
Need ideas on a Subaru 2.2 kill switch option. I plan on adding one to the fuel pump relay input but want to make sure I do it right so nothing is hurt if the motor is turned over with the starter. (I'm paranoid Ill somehow fry something else, like my computer!) Wink

Or should I just interrupt the starter supply wire on the key harness somewhere close to the dash? That might make locating the switch up front easier.

there is no harm in attempting to start the motor with fuel pump disabled. dont worry about it, it is ok.

Bug On in a Van!

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

I am tempted to install a Zepus magnetic switch some where.....

I do not know where and what circuit to interrupt.

Experience tells me it needs to be with in arms reach (because it is too hard to close the top vent, as an example.)

Aside from just that, I do have other ideas for long term parking.

I have been known to disable the vehicle for extended times too, but that is a pain.....

Any ideas? (ya ya there have been other threads on this topic.)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

I'll repeat what I've written in other threads. It's easy to add a standard relay mounted near the fuel pump, to control the ground (not the +ve) supply. This relay can have its +ve supply fed from the fuel pump's. This way only one wire has to be extended to a convenient place for a small switch - which then switches to ground to energise the relay.

newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

I don't see much talk on improving the door locks. Can they be without changing the stock ones?

I'm seriously thinking about a few of these in the future. I think the Thule lock would end 99% of attempts.

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Tradesmen around here use a less Nordic version of that on Econoline vans - I guess the standard door locks are pretty easy to defeat.

Looks like this:

Not exactly aesthetically pleasing not to mention having to bolt it through the sheet metal.
syncrodemaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

I've though about getting that Thule lock as well for the sliding door, seems like a decent solution.

Something I use still is a clutch lock. Looks something like this one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/YaeTek-Security-Stainless-Cl...amp;sr=8-5
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

I've seen someone else only put it on the slider but I don't understand why since you could easily go back there from the front doors. ?

My issue with some solutions is convenience. I don't want to take time to fumble with some device unless I'm leaving it on one spot for a long time. A quick flip of a switch and keyed lock is ok but I guess it's about when do you apply something more serious? Shopping at Walmart? Or is the serious lock only for when it's in a risky place or parking overnight+?

The harder it is to use the less likely you are to use it over time. I know I'd end up skipping over the Thule most of the time too but it'd be great for leaving the van at an overlook and going hiking without worrying if my stuff would be there later.

It'd be nice to upgrade what's there. My old Mercedes had locks that were far better and almost impossible to pick from what I hear. Too bad that can't be adapted.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

At the last Marymoor meetup I saw a van that had adapted a gate lock from Home Depot to lock their front doors. Mod seems fairly easy and strong (I think a lot stronger than trying to use the Thule van lock).

I believe it could also work with the sliding door, although the person who did the mod thought it wouldn't, so he was looking for an alternate method.

Installation detail

Lock installed

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

I just searched and found this thread. Ive got a good kill switch system installed:. But curious. Folks usually picking the locks? That how they get in?

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

In my opinion a security system is one of the easier methods of getting some protection without making modifications. Even adding upgraded "locking" methods, windows can be broken to get in. Alarms are not full proof, but provide some sort of alert, even paging system... All come with a starter kill, fuel can be added, door pin triggers, backup batteries, etc. Plus you can even add actuators to lock/unlock the doors.

I installed security system for 10 years, and several in vanagons and all types of vehicles.

Get a good product like VIPER - PYTHON - CLIFFORD products made be DEI>
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

I do not see how extra door locks help at all. If I want to get in the nearest rock will get me in.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: