Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick question on Front hood springs and struts
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Quick question on Front hood springs and struts Reply with quote

Gents-

Restoring my 73 standard beetle. I noticed that my front hood opens and closes not as smooth as I'd like. Looking at it, the springs are somewhat out of shape and generally worn.

While I'd like to keep it original with the springs, no suppliers that I use has them.

I've been seeing that people use "struts". Kind of like those internal gas pressurized ones.

Does anyone have experience with struts and if they work good? Or if you know where new (or gently used) springs can be found? I did find one on eBay, but wanted to hear from others.

As always, thanks for your input.
Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Front hood springs and struts Reply with quote

Meh, the original springs work great but they do tend to have a bow or twist to them. One of the problems with the hydraulic struts is that they were never made specifically for a Beetle which means that they are not likely to be exactly the same compressed or extended length. If too short, the hood won't open as far as it would in stock form, if too long, the hood won't quite close completely, or if it does, you'll end up bending something to do so.

The other problem is that even if the compressed & extended lengths are correct, the strut is likely to be designed for a much heavier application, this would cause a lot of stress on fairly thin sheet metal mounting points. I have seen many cars that received these "upgrades" in the '90s (Primarily water cooled examples.) & the mounting points have fatigued & ripped out of the body.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Front hood springs and struts Reply with quote

Contact Flyboat https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=220552 He made a set for converting your hood springs over to struts. I have them on my car and like them over the stiff springs. No more bowed hood.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Front hood springs and struts Reply with quote

Well, truth be told, I really need to probably pull out the springs and see if they can be "resurrected" so to speak.

If I can't get corrected, maybe flyboat might be worth a call.

Thank you
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Front hood springs and struts Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Contact Flyboat https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=220552 He made a set for converting your hood springs over to struts. I have them on my car and like them over the stiff springs. No more bowed hood.

Just a general FYI, Flyboat hasn't been online since October 2018. Maybe he would still respond to a PM though....
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question on Front hood springs and struts Reply with quote

Thanks for that info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: