Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

1. Align the notch in the puppy to the case seam.....

7. If it just bucks and screams no matter what, start over....

Laughing Laughing

Yeah yeah. That autocorrect is a pain sometimes. Laughing
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

Here’s where we’re at now. Sounds better but still not running.

Link

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

I'm assuming you have the coil energized with however you are jumping that right?

No backfire through the carb, so turn the distributor counterclockwise. I actually like to move the distributor while it's cranking to hear any change.

Does the carb have the anti-runon jet at the side? If so, make sure it has power.

How are you feeding fuel?

Post a picture of the engine bay if possible. Especially the distributor and how you have it wired. Sometimes we can spot an issue that has been overlooked.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

Got a wire from coil to voltage reg.
No idea about carb.
Starting fluid only.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

Sorry I was mistaken. I have a wire from the coil directly to the positive battery terminal.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Sorry I was mistaken. I have a wire from the coil directly to the positive battery terminal.

Be sure it’s on the 15 term of the coil.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Be sure it’s on the 15 term of the coil.
It’s on the 15. I think I got it to the point where it’ll go.

Link

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

That's sounding like it wants to go. See the cylinder shape thing on the drivers side of the carb? That needs to be hooked into the coil + side with hot from key. Also, the choke needs to be hooked to the same place. Just make a wire to clip on the coil to another connector to reach the cut off jet, then another to the choke.

So like
Coil........Cut off.........Choke
C---------------C-----------------C

The C's being terminal ends. Hopefully that makes sense.

You can fill the carb bowl manually by carefully poring gas down the little tube at the mouth of the carb. A little pipette or a tiny funnel helps.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
That's sounding like it wants to go. See the cylinder shape thing on the drivers side of the carb? That needs to be hooked into the coil + side with hot from key. Also, the choke needs to be hooked to the same place. Just make a wire to clip on the coil to another connector to reach the cut off jet, then another to the choke.

So like

You can fill the carb bowl manually by carefully poring gas down the little tube at the mouth of the carb. A little pipette or a tiny funnel helps.
That might be the wire with three spade connectors on it floating around the engine bay!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

So like

That might be the wire with three spade connectors on it floating around the engine bay!

Probably so. It most likely just got disconnected at some point.

And the vacuum advance hooks up to the drives side of the carb, just above the idle cut off jet.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

Alright so we have a problem. Previously, I was using some wires to start it because I had no keys. When I pulled the flasher switch then, it lit up. Now, it won’t light up and the new key I have doesn’t do anything. No clicks, no engine turning over, nada.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

Plug wire orientation looks correct on the cap. The only wire I can clearly see is the one going to cylinder #4. The next wire going CW on the cap is going to the other left cylinder which would be the front one #3. The next cap wire CW is the long one going around the back of the engine. Even though I can't see to which cylinder it's connected, it's "most likely" for #2. Just make sure the wire end is going to the rear (rear of car) on the right head which is cyl. #2. That leaves the last wire which you can't see, going to cyl. #1. That cap orientation corresponds to the correct firing order 1-4-3-2.

For fuel, I found that a pointy-nosed plastic condiments squeeze bottle fits nicely into the carb vent pipe. Put some clean gas into that bottle and squeeze a load into the carb float bowl. Probably find one at the Dollar Store. https://www.berlinpackaging.com/3390b01nat-8-oz-natural-ldpe-plastic-condiment-bottles/
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

I figured out the problem actually Laughing red wire fell off the positive battery cable so wasn’t getting any power. Now it turns over just fine. Now to get it to run.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

Did you have this wire continuously connected between the battery and the coil all the time? Or just when you are trying to start it?
If all the time, will this not burn up the points and/ or coil?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

Just when trying to start. Now I have a key though.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

I was going to tell you to STOP. LOL... But that motor wants to run!
It just needs some CPR. Care, Patience, Resolve.
Do a proper tune up. Spend a few bucks and some time. Don't 1/2 ass it.
New plugs, clean carb, new points, oil change, adjust the valves, fresh fuel.
I have restored many antique engines . Before I make them run, I prepare them to run. Due diligence. I have had much success with my method.

The picture you show is just weird. It looks like one plug wire is not connected, the other wire is running next to the belt. The distributer advance is open. You are using starter fluid and a hot wire? I am not a regular here but maybe someone can give you better advice.

Good luck with this project. If you have a few thousand dollars and a few thousand more you might break even. I am serious Stop. LOL.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

Yeah, I need to put some oil in and adjust everything. There are a couple extra plugs hanging around the engine bay, didn’t pull them out when I was swapping them with extra wires I had. Don’t plan on what I did to the ‘67. I’m gonna do a battery tray, and probably call it quits. Just an average driver. If it passed a NY state inspection it should be fine, even if it was 1986 Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

The plug wire orientation might be correct but possibly 180 degrees off. That sound of the engine almost igniting is what you get when the dizzy drive gear is in backwards might be worth a quick try rotating each plug two spots.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

I see no positive wire here on the electromagnetic cut off valve on the left side of the carb. It blicks the carburetor. This might prevent the engine from running.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Somebody Stop Me...Another One: 1968 Beetle Reply with quote

All the wires are hooked up now. Still won’t start.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: