Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Capacitor on back of instrument cluster
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
montanasynchro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi,

I have a 87 Syncro, analog clock and no tach. I pulled the instrument cluster and found this capacitor. I plan to use a new wiring harness to replace the blue film. I believe this capacitor has something to to with the coolant temp gauge. If so, I am not sure of its use.

Any ideas on how to use the new wiring harness hook up ? I would think I would need to jump this capacitor as when the blue film is removed, it will be by its lonesome.

Any thoughts would be appreciated ( especially if you know what you are talking about)

thank you for your help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

isn't a '87 supposed to have tach and digital clock? or was it replaced by a '85 instrument cluster?
montanasynchro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

I don't know what most 87s have, but our family is original owners so no mods. Even if they put in a earlier cluster when made, I can't find a capacitor at this location on earlier models looking at the diagrams.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

Tracing the connections right there on your circuit foil would tell you what it does.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

I don't know about the new wiring harness, but I'd hope it would include everything you need to replace the old one. Seems strange to need to re-engineer it.

montanasynchro wrote:
Any ideas on how to use the new wiring harness hook up ? I would think I would need to jump this capacitor as when the blue film is removed, it will be by its lonesome.

The capacitor is effectively part of the old foil. That is, it won't be there when you remove the old foil. As for its function, it's typical for the negative side of the electrolytic to be connected to ground (judging by the fatter track above it, even more probable). Once you know what the opposite side is connected to, you can get an idea of what it's filtering. If you need to.
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

Base models had an analog clock and no tach.
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

Base models had an analog clock and no tach.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

a capacitor stores energy, it possibly could power the clock after the battery is disconnected to maintain the current time.

BiWerks Design, LLC
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
a capacitor stores energy, it possibly could power the clock after the battery is disconnected to maintain the current time.

A tiddly one like that wouldn't run the clock for more than a second or two I'm afraid. I suspect it's just there to ensure a smooth DC supply with no spikes.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
dabaron wrote:

A tiddly one like that wouldn't run the clock for more than a second or two I'm afraid. I suspect it's just there to ensure a smooth DC supply with no spikes.

without a schematic its all speculation. filtering, smoothing, constant voltage source... caps have lots of uses, find a schematic and all will be revealed

BiWerks Design, LLC
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

Once again: Trace where it connects and you know what it does. It's that simple.

There are no caps in the cluster diagrams so this is a unicorn, but that doesn't matter, just look at the traces and it's purpose will be obvious.

Most likely it's connected between the fuel level sender input and ground, in order to dampen the float movements. But a thermal gauge is slow to respond so the damping was unnecessary and it went away., That means it won't be needed in the new circuitry, either, so it can be ignored.

If it had another purpose, whatever it is it wasn't continued, so in all likelihood it can still be ignored, but simply tracing it's connections will tell.

If the OP just posted a little wider pic anyone could see the traces and answer the question.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

Both tach and analog clock clusters got the capacitor.
In my experience, STARTING mid 87 model year.

Mark
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

Ok, the - end of the capacitor connects to the cluster ground.
The + end connects to the temp gauge sender signal wire which is also the coolant low level warning signal wire (hint hint).

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The + end connects to the temp gauge sender signal wire which is also the coolant low level warning signal wire (hint hint).

Now that does make sense - preventing spurious low-level warnings when bouncing down a dirt track.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

No, the coolant level warning relay takes care of that delay. The tank sensor feeds the relay and then the relay determines if the coolant has been sensed low for long enough to notify the driver by flashing the temp gauge led.

The coolant level relay latches the "warning" condition so the led will then continue to blink until the key is cycled off-on to reset the relay.

(tall case early type coolant level relay behaves differently, 83-85)

Mark
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
No, the coolant level warning relay takes care of that delay. The tank sensor feeds the relay and then the relay determines if the coolant has been sensed low for long enough to notify the driver by flashing the temp gauge led.

The coolant level relay latches the "warning" condition so the led will then continue to blink until the key is cycled off-on to reset the relay.

(tall case early type coolant level relay behaves differently, 83-85)

Mark

oddly enough this sheds some light a recent issue i've been having with the coolant LED. when starting the engine cold, the LED flashes and then goes out as expected, then a few seconds pass and the LED begins to flash. the coolant is at the proper mix and level. if i turn the engine off then immediately restart the engine, the LED flashes as usual and then goes out, as expected.

if i stop for a short period, the LED works as expected. if i stop long enough for the engine to cool down, the problem returns.

not sure which part of the system was failing, i don't think i have the cap, but checking that relay and sensor might be in order.

BiWerks Design, LLC
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

The fact that your led blinks at startup, then stops for a few seconds, and then starting blinking again points to the coolant level relay deciding that the coolant is sensed low.

Since your symptoms point elsewhere I won't go into my theory of a cause of your particular problem in this thread about the blue foil. But what happens in the cold if you simply turn on the key and watch the led for a while without starting the engine?

Mark
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
what happens in the cold if you simply turn on the key and watch the led for a while without starting the engine?

i'll give that a try then start a new thread.

BiWerks Design, LLC
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Yup, the two late clusters I have here show the blue cap next to the VR chip, connected just as you say. The OP's earlier foil has its cap located differently near the temp gauge, it appears from his pic to be connected electrically the same way, but would need a wider shot to be sure. No Bentley diagram in my book indicates a cap anywhere. I'm not familiar enough with the guts of the low coolant warning relay, never saw a skiz for it, so can't guess as to whether this somehow aids that system. It would seem to have no other purpose, such as this one...

fxr wrote:

Now that does make sense - preventing spurious low-level warnings when bouncing down a dirt track.

...because there's no fluid sloshing in a vessel that's full, and in my experience, if the p-tank is low enough to slosh enough to throw a false warning, it's already low enough to just throw the warning.

So, I'm not too clear on the OP's question. Is he asking whether GW's foil replacement kit omits the cap?

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Capacitor on back of instrument cluster Reply with quote

The OP photo shows a late model analog clock cluster which he says is on an 87 Syncro. I have late versions of both tach and clock clusters in hand and checked the capacitor connections on each before I posted above. Both are connected to the same locations though the trace layout of the foils obviously differs. The tach clusters have both gauges mounted below the tach instrument. The clock clusters have 1 gauge above and 1 gauge below the clock instrument.

The late 85+ versions of the coolant low level warning relay have time delays built in. They need to sense coolant low for several continuous seconds before they "latch" that condition and output a signal to the temp gauge that causes the gauge led to begin blinking. The foil capacitor in question is connected to the output signal of the coolant low level warning relay. The relay doesn't output a signal until after it has latched and doesn't latch until after a delay timer has timed out. Such is my understanding.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: