Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelheadrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

New to the forum.

Found this 1970 VW Bus in a farmers field after it had be sitting for over 20 years. My daughter's dream car is a VW Bus so we decided it would be a father daughter project. Going back to my roots, my car back in high school was a 1969 VW bug that I rebuilt the engine in and painted. I haven't touched a VW in over 30 years so any advice from the VW long timers would be appreciated. I am sure I will make some mistakes along the way but figure if your not willing to make a mistake you will never accomplish anything.

Body is straight with at least one heavy bondo spot. Interior was trash, windows down, home for birds, squirells and yellow jackets. Tires were sitting flat for years, had it towed in out on flat bed. Engine was tired, H5 block out of vw bug, after some work I got it started, but decided I am going the complete rebuild route.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

Looks like a great project. We had a 1970 bus when I grew up and we loved it.
I was able to find a 1973 bus a few years ago but my daughter thinks it’s the dumbest car in the world. Once, when I picked her up from school, she was so embarrassed and mortified that she climbed on the floor until we got out of the school parking lot.

Maybe some day she’ll come around.

But, I’m very happy for you and your daughter. Congrats! Keep us posted on your progress.

There are many great folks here who will help you. Just make sure to change all your fuel lines. Others will chime in with advice and input as you ask specific questions.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

Nice starting place. I’ve seen way worse buses. There may be a post with bears in it coming your way. We’ll do our best to help along the way. Do you fly one of those planes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

looks like it started life as a brilliant blue deluxe.

here's mine

here is what it came to me looking like

mine was gutted too. you have more glass than I did

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
steelheadrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I look forward to the project and the advice along the way.

My dad is the pilot, instructor and he has a flight school and shop where he rebuilds planes, he actual found 2 buses while he was flying over a farmers field. This is the one we got, he is doing an LS swap on the other vw bus he found, a 1971 vw bus, sorry VW purist, he is in his 70s and reliving his street drag racing days, he had a VW bus with a chevy engine in it the 1970s that he raced on the street. I have a picture of me standing by his V8 chevy VW bus back in the day when I was a todler.

Yes the maroon color is the second paint on the bus, the first color was a cool blue. My daughter wants to go orange as the color on the bottom with white on top. So the bus will be orange and white.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

What a great project for you and your daughter. You've come to the right spot to seek advice as you navigate through this project. I have a 70' Westfalia bus. The younger kids go crazy everytime I have it out. Late teens and 20 somethings always tell me "I so want one of those".. Your daughter is lucky.

Look over the stickies in the bay forums. Lots of fantastic info in there! Also, be SUPER careful before buying any "new" parts for your bus. Most are Chinese copies of super low quality. Seek good used VW parts, NOS VW parts or restored German VW parts or ask in your thread who sells the best whatever part your seeking.

Good luck!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steelheadrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
What a great project for you and your daughter. You've come to the right spot to seek advice as you navigate through this project. I have a 70' Westfalia bus. The younger kids go crazy everytime I have it out. Late teens and 20 somethings always tell me "I so want one of those".. Your daughter is lucky.

Look over the stickies in the bay forums. Lots of fantastic info in there! Also, be SUPER careful before buying any "new" parts for your bus. Most are Chinese copies of super low quality. Seek good used VW parts, NOS VW parts or restored German VW parts or ask in your thread who sells the best whatever part your seeking.

Good luck!

Bill, thanks for the reply, according to my daughter vw buses are cool, I am going to take hear word for it.

I am starting to search the forum, although I have already purchased a number of parts. I am sure, I have already purchased some cheap chinese copies. If you could left me know which ones I could live with and which I should not settle for it would be appreciated.

Rob
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

Very very cool project! Good luck with it!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

a 70 has a host of one year only parts, like fuse box, ignition switch assembly and turn signal switch (if my memory serves me....and may add the flasher relay to that list)

if you have a yellow colored fuse box do your best to find a white one. the yellow ones are made out of glass and will shatter when you touch them. if you have a white one consider yourself lucky....and bring your A game doing electrical because the fuse boxes are super hard to find

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

Good times and I have to say you're raising your daughter right. My girls love my V-dubs, just wish they did when they were the age of yours. Hope she gets her hands dirty with you along the way, that will help her out and make her more independant and self sufficient in the years to come.
Good luck and keep posting

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
'02 Jaguar XK8 convertible
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

steelheadrob wrote:

I am sure, I have already purchased some cheap chinese copies. If you could left me know which ones I could live with and which I should not settle for it would be appreciated.

Rob

It would be easier for you to post what Chinese parts you've purchased already. We can jump in and tell you what "may" be ok and what is better for a door stop. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

daves_ale wrote:
Good times and I have to say you're raising your daughter right. My girls love my V-dubs, just wish they did when they were the age of yours. Hope she gets her hands dirty with you along the way, that will help her out and make her more independant and self sufficient in the years to come.
My opinion as well. Learning to adjust the valves is part of driving one. Just one example.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

My daughter had an awesome four years at Bryan Mawr fixing everything on campus. She went with a cool set of tools which she was always using.

Connect Missy up with some of the cool Sambarinas we have here; young women like female role models to follow as well as Dad.

My girls still love talking up 90 year old Grandma and her stick shift Golf
steelheadrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
a 70 has a host of one year only parts, like fuse box, ignition switch assembly and turn signal switch (if my memory serves me....and may add the flasher relay to that list)

if you have a yellow colored fuse box do your best to find a white one. the yellow ones are made out of glass and will shatter when you touch them. if you have a white one consider yourself lucky....and bring your A game doing electrical because the fuse boxes are super hard to find

Here is the fuse box. I would say it is plastic. I am thinking these two pieces were one at one time but have not done any research at this point.
steelheadrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

daves_ale wrote:

She has been putting in some time on the bus. Here is her geared up to grind some rust off the floor of the interior of the bus.

steelheadrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

Here was day one of the bus build. Decided we were going to document the build on youtube.

Link
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

steelheadrob wrote:

Here is the fuse box. I would say it is plastic. I am thinking these two pieces were one at one time but have not done any research at this point.

holy shit...

the yellow one is correct. the back one in your photo is bug, and needs to be tossed.

the p/n on the yellow one will start with 411-xxx-xxx that is the one you want to locate if at all possible

when/if you pull the column I would be curious to see the bottom of the pod/ignition switch.

it has...or should have a 70 only ignition barrel with a electrical connection ON the back side of the housing. this was for the door buzzer. if you're a freak, you'll need that connection for the buzzer to work.

don't go buying anything electrical until you run it past us first...just because a listing says "fits 68-79" doesn't mean it's going to work.

also, the 70's have the headlight switch on the right of the column and the dome light switch on the left. I found this annoying, and swapped them to what vw did on 71 up busses.

I would pound the classifieds for a fuse box now. they seldom come up for a 70 and when they do...they ain't cheap. get the "late 70" white plastic one. DO NOT buy another yellow one.

there should be a black bracket the fuse box slides into. make sure that is there or you'll need another one

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

steelheadrob wrote:
New to the forum.

Tires were sitting flat for years, had it towed in out on flat bed. Engine was tired, H5 block out of vw bug, after some work I got it started, but decided I am going the complete rebuild route.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1988328.jpg

Welcome. Will be a great project for the two of you.

Did you get properly rated tires? The whitewalls are sometimes a telltale sign of incorrect tires for the load demands of a bus.
(sold - but not forgotten)
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

Congratulations.

You are setting of on an adventure you will never (ok..... almost never....) regret.

However, please be prepared to end up with something like this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657738&highlight=gobigemma

If you raise them to be strong independent thinkers and doers, you cannot stress yourself when they actually grow into their own.

Been there (am there), done that (am doing that), and there is nothing - absolutely nothing - more rewarding.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bus Father/Daughter Restore Project Reply with quote

+10,000 points for the safety gear - don't forget those nitrile gloves, either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: