Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brought home a Jan/ Feb 54' Jupiter Grey Euro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Brought home a Jan/ Feb 54' Jupiter Grey Euro Reply with quote

good eye Rome, yes the wires are in the wrong position, they appear 90 degrees out.

even with a centrifugal-only advance distributor, the number one TDC rotor position is the same, pointing over your right shoulder when facing the engine.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brought home a Jan/ Feb 54' Jupiter Grey Euro Reply with quote

You guys. I clocked the distributor drive so the badge is facing that way.
The plugs are correct on the distributor....this is only about the 140th VW I've owned (thought I have swapped the plug wires wrong a million times). The notch on the distributor is directly under the #1 plug wire. While I had the heads off I did check to make sure that the cam was timed right- I suppose it's possible it's like ONE tooth off; I dind't open the case.
Which is why it's sort of funny it won't really run. It actually starts, but just sputters..and will continue to sputter even if you literally pour gas down the carb. And I've swapped 3 carbs out now. All the exact same result- except for the one that leaked real bad.

But fairly sure it's spark. When I took everything apart the coil was wired backwards (15/1 connections), I think it is half fried. I need to get my multimeter out and test it and dig around for another condenser.

Also going to loosen up some drivetrain mount stuff and see how much I can tilt the back of the engine down. Maybe I have the trans nosecone bolted down too high, fairly sure those hole are slightly slotted.

Here you go- rotor pointing at #1. Firing order 1-4-3-2- Yellow marks are TDC.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a Jan/ Feb 54' Jupiter Grey Euro Reply with quote

1st thing I do when I get my hands on an engine with the distributor clocked like that...I pull the drive gear, and re-clock it to the proper orientation. It's good that you know it's that way...but the next guy who isn't familiar with doing that will be scratching their head for quite a while. Or...when you're engine isn't running Embarassed you might be over-looking the simplest of things.

Maybe the last guy adjusted the valves with the distributor rotor pointed at the #1 hash on the distributor rim? This is just one thing that could be off...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a Jan/ Feb 54' Jupiter Grey Euro Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
1st thing I do when I get my hands on an engine with the distributor clocked like that...I pull the drive gear, and re-clock it to the proper orientation.

Well, technically there's nothing wrong with it. As long as it's timed and the plug wires correspond with TDC it's functionally identical to any other position it could be in. I put it that way to hide the awesome/incorrect condenser and it puts the neato badge right out front on the distributor.

But...moving along. This car is simply giving me the shit. New plugs, plug wires, coil. Carb and fuel pump and great. No problem with fuel supply. i do have spark. But it must be really crappy. It'll crank and sputter all day long but will not run. I/m getting really crappy spark at the cap/wire when cranking. I just have absolutely zero spare VW parts anymore so I have to try and find a spare distributor somewhere. I can find nothing wrong with the cap, rotor, points...nothing. But that's the only thing I haven't swapped out completely.
I live in a city with literally NOTHING useful available at all anywhere from anyone.
I can't even buy a 6 volt car battery in this damn town.

edit; Runs decent. I found a spare condenser in the mystical piles of crap I'm burying myself in. Towed it to the local Bentley dealership and Got it up on the lift and flew Klaus in from motherland to install it.
Fired right up!

funny because I think the p.o never drove the car at all..because of the condenser.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a Jan/ Feb 54' Jupiter Grey Euro Reply with quote

Anyways....I got it running to the extent I wanted. I knew it was just a preliminary assembly of everything and it would be VERY unlikely it was going to be great and run smooth.
But It runs. Or it DID run. I didn't like it. Didn't like what I saw..I figured I need to dig in a little deeper or lose sleep over it.

So. I did.

And I'm just going to leave this here.
I don't know whether to be terrified or impressed. I've balanced rods before; I think we used to get them withing .5grams typically. I tore a 356 engine down once with one rod something like 30 grams off.
But this. THIS. I don't know. Dammit. Hilarious.

Or not, I can't decide.

p.s. Do 36hp cranks have the dished washer just ahead of the small end bearing? I can't remember....but it wasn't there!

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a Jan/ Feb 54' Jupiter Grey Euro Reply with quote

Yes, 36hp use the dished washer on the snout. They are a little different from 1600, they can slide on without removing the woodruff key.
I'd be interested to know if those rods are balanced or not...that's a lot of material removed. Jose at DPR balanced mine by removing material on the big end. That rod has the entire line removed...that's gotta be quite a bit of weight. How did the rest of the internals look?
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a Jan/ Feb 54' Jupiter Grey Euro Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:

I'd be interested to know if those rods are balanced or not...that's a lot of material removed. Jose at DPR balanced mine by removing material on the big end. That rod has the entire line removed...that's gotta be quite a bit of weight. How did the rest of the internals look?

At this point I just have to know how close it is to balanced. I assume that's the reason behind it..but holy shit. Someone went to town on that thing...I have no history on any of the car really, just guess work. This engine was built MANY years ago; I can tell that much by scientific measurement of the sludge in the bottom.
It's a fun project: I found assembly grease still present on the valve train and 1/2" of black sludge in the sump. So this was built, hastily I think, and barely run. Main bearing are standard, crank is in good shape. Nothing terribly frightening...but I'm going to get stuck with crooked Dr Spock eyebrows if I find anymore puzzles.

I mean...who was weighing 36 rods back in the 80's? Or..ever really? I know the 'pros' did because it's the right thing to do, but the way this is built (RTV on the case!) I'm fairly surprised they took the time. Assuming that's the deal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: