Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof Dimple...
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Roof Dimple... Reply with quote

… or the upper antenna mount, on the leading edge of the type one (split) roof... all of the deluxe splits, I've owned had this dimple - in 1977, I bought an 11A standard, that had no dimple. I assumed that standards, did not have this feature and just went with the flow of this logic, over the years.

Well, I have recently re acquired THIS (very same) '50 11A and (again) noticed no mount dimple, on the roof - can someone advise why my car with body number 137 609 has no dimple?

The car never had any kinda' radio antenna as there are no holes, anywhere - I like that - my '55 is the same - never an antenna - keeping it very simple.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Dimple... Reply with quote

every split Ive seen, including standards, has the antenna BUMP.

I imagine your car was bodyworked at one point, and someone thought it should be removed.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Dimple... Reply with quote

Every production Beetle prior to Zwitters had the roof outward antenna bump when they left the factory whether Deluxe or Standard.

Apparently hammering out the bump was so wide spread in the US (where splits were uncommon) that one of the Beetle enthusiast books from the 80's even addressed it. "Don't hammer out the roof dimple, its supposed to be there"

One of my cars has had it hammered out also, but it definitely left the factory with the bump.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Dimple... Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Every production Beetle prior to Zwitters had the roof outward antenna bump when they left the factory whether Deluxe or Standard.

Apparently hammering out the bump was so wide spread in the US (where splits were uncommon) that one of the Beetle enthusiast books from the 80's even addressed it. "Don't hammer out the roof dimple, its supposed to be there"

One of my cars has had it hammered out also, but it definitely left the factory with the bump.
correct! till October 52.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Dimple... Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:

… okay, thank you - this car has no headliner. So, i'll be sure to look for hammer marks on the inside of the roof -
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Dimple... Reply with quote

ZenVWdriver, you are not going to find any hammer marks looking at the headliner opening....you need to remove the inside backview mirror to look inside the upper windshield frame area. Very Happy
I am sure you will find what I found on my ex GDR '51. it was flat outside ( the original dimple is really just a very light pressing), having been pushed inside and filled over. On the inside I could very well make out the og outline of the dimple and push it back out. you just need a larger punch with the original diameter of the upper dimple shape. don't use much force, it will pop out easily with some gentle taps and most probably blow off the bondo they used outside ( unless some PO cut out or welded it up). hope this helps.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Dimple... Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
ZenVWdriver, you are not going to find any hammer marks looking at the headliner opening....you need to remove the inside backview mirror to look inside the upper windshield frame area. Very Happy
I am sure you will find what I found on my ex GDR '51. it was flat outside ( the original dimple is really just a very light pressing), having been pushed inside and filled over. On the inside I could very well make out the og outline of the dimple and push it back out. you just need a larger punch with the original diameter of the upper dimple shape. don't use much force, it will pop out easily with some gentle taps and most probably blow off the bondo they used outside ( unless some PO cut out or welded it up). hope this helps.

Oh, that all really helps immensely - thank you, so much... and you are correct, the dimple is behind the mirror and not really assable for me - I really like how you got your dimple back - thanks for that valuable information.. even if I never get it back, I will remember your advise and technique - thanks again.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Dimple... Reply with quote

you're welcome ! Very Happy

robbiecanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Dimple... Reply with quote

A hammer and a socket works good for this. Smile
84' westfalia 1.8t
87' 4runner
91' 2.9 vr6 coupe
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Dimple... Reply with quote

robbiecanter wrote:
A hammer and a socket works good for this. Smile

… makes sense - thank you - can it be accomplished with the inner roof attached - through the hole, behind, where the rear view mirror goes?
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Dimple... Reply with quote

positively YES.

it only takes a minute to unscrew the 3 slotted metal screws to remove the mirror and see whats behind.

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Dimple... Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
positively YES.

it only takes a minute to unscrew the 3 slotted metal screws to remove the mirror and see whats behind.

perfect - no mirror, on there, as of now - removed the mirror with visor and got a black-metal based mirror, with no visor, for a standard... appreciate your very positive reply... thanks
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: