Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crusher - next to go in when saved
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Crusher - next to go in when saved Reply with quote

This 76 tintop camper is headed to the crusher soon. Im considering a 10 hr run one way to save it, but am not sure of the interior.

Ive only had late model poptop westies. This interior looks like its from earlier models. Is this the correct one or did someone swap out the camping interior from an earlier model?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Manuf date is 10/75 and vin starts with 226, so its definetely a 76. Just dont know about inside.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

Who cares about the interior! Save that bus!!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

It’s swapped from an early Bay, correct
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

off the top of my head, there is a number in the vin that could have designated it as going to westfal to be converted to a camper. if the number is not "correct" it will never be quite as valuable as one that was prepped from the factory. that being said, most people pull from the wallet using their heart, not their brain, so someone will want it. Me included.
kinggeorge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

Yep, the last year for the configuration you are seeing in that bus was for the 1973 year, I believe. There was also usually an open "headbanger" storage compartment over the back area. You can find lots of photos of them on the internet. In 1974 they radically changed the layout of the interior in the camping westy styles and then made minor changes to that new layout up to and including 1979.

Certainly not the first bus to be retrofitted. I personally am not bothered by these and have been guilty of doing the same myself. Sometimes you get a tintop bus with everything gutted out of it (or never was a camper) and you want to make it into a camper. Rather than becoming an expert cabinet-builder, sometimes you get lucky and find someone selling a complete (or mostly complete) interior and in it goes, regardless of year. Another bus saved is another bus saved.
1979 Kombi, Oliver wFI
1977 Tin top camper, Cosmos w/FI
1974 Westy, Garfield w/ Dual Solex PDSIT
1973 Tin top camper, Bart
1974 gutted Dorper Casper w/ Dual Solex PDSIT
1975 Westy, Stella w/single progressive Weber
1979 Super Beetle, Penelope w/FI
1967 Fastback, Green Hornet w/dual Solex
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kinggeorge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

For example, this is one I'm guilty of changing in order to help save it. It was originally a 1978 Riviera with the straight-up large poptop It was completely gutted when I got it. All cabinets long-gone. I managed by pure fluke to find a person locally selling just the main cabinet (with icebox, sink, etc) from a Riviera. We installed that and built every other thing in there, including the walls, the other side/rear cabinets, the top headbanger, the bed, the floor, the lighting and all the camping electrical, the upper side wall trims, the ceiling. Everything. I was pretty stoked with the results.

Everyone we met, loved it. The only thing I didn't like (and still don't) is I used the super-common and modern RV light you can buy at an RV store for over the sink area. I wish I'd spent the time to find something a little more 70's. We used it for a short time and was the last bus my dad got to ride in with me but meanwhile my little fleet of buses was growing and we found a family with little kids that loved her and we sold her so she could be used and enjoyed.

But the point is, we saved the bus and it was a functioning, loved camper once again. I personally would go after the one you are looking at and save it too, especially if it's the right price. Add cabinets as you may or may not want. Enjoy it.

And cork flooring by the way is way warmer on bare feet that composite or natural wood. I've used that a couple times now.

1979 Kombi, Oliver wFI
1977 Tin top camper, Cosmos w/FI
1974 Westy, Garfield w/ Dual Solex PDSIT
1973 Tin top camper, Bart
1974 gutted Dorper Casper w/ Dual Solex PDSIT
1975 Westy, Stella w/single progressive Weber
1979 Super Beetle, Penelope w/FI
1967 Fastback, Green Hornet w/dual Solex
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

kinggeorge13 wrote:
For example, this is one I'm guilty of changing in order to help save it. It was originally a 1978 Riviera with the straight-up large poptop It was completely gutted when I got it. All cabinets long-gone. I managed by pure fluke to find a person locally selling just the main cabinet (with icebox, sink, etc) from a Riviera. We installed that and built every other thing in there, including the walls, the other side/rear cabinets, the top headbanger, the bed, the floor, the lighting and all the camping electrical, the upper side wall trims, the ceiling. Everything. I was pretty stoked with the results.

Everyone we met, loved it. The only thing I didn't like (and still don't) is I used the super-common and modern RV light you can buy at an RV store for over the sink area. I wish I'd spent the time to find something a little more 70's. We used it for a short time and was the last bus my dad got to ride in with me but meanwhile my little fleet of buses was growing and we found a family with little kids that loved her and we sold her so she could be used and enjoyed.

But the point is, we saved the bus and it was a functioning, loved camper once again. I personally would go after the one you are looking at and save it too, especially if it's the right price. Add cabinets as you may or may not want. Enjoy it.

And cork flooring by the way is way warmer on bare feet that composite or natural wood. I've used that a couple times now.

I guess I am lucky that the rv store in my town has been around since the early 70s, and still has plenty vintage stuff still on the shelves! nice find on the Riv cabinet. lucky find too
honestcharlie56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

Interior actually looks nice. I'd save that bus.
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
This 76 tintop camper ... This interior looks like its from earlier models.

Westfalia interior in good condition is rare. So keep it, if you can not find another one.
It is part of the history of a lot of bay windows, that they have been modified to the camper of the needs of their owners.

The interior looks like form an earlier SO 72/6 Miami from ∼ 1971 to 1973:
http://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/index.php?de-westfalia-so-72-6-miami.

Typical in your 1976 are complete set in the USA will be P-21 (that came in different shapes depending to the model year):
http://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/index.php?de-westfalia-so-p-21
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

Thanks all for confirming my suspicion. Im still on the fence about going after this one due to the distance and cost to get it. Dont have a plan for it, but understand the value of a 2L f.i. and 6 rib alone makes it worth it. Dont care its not og interior either.

In the above pic it looks like the pax rear wheel arch is all bondo’d up.

I wish someone closer would go get this and remove my burden to save it.
Salem, NJ if anyones interested.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

Just emailed to pick it up this friday morning. Hard to find reasons to NOT buy it for $400.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

10hrs from the Wt Mtns in NH, where is it located in Upstate NY? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

other direction. off last exit (southbound) on jersey tpke.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

Was this the one on eBay recently?
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

Very cool road trip!

You seem pretty focused on the 10 hrs, rightly so.

If you need a rest or have any issues near me, you're welcome to stop in here.

I'm in MA right by the 495 / 290 interchange. I'm assuming you'll go by near me.

Safe travels!
Hobo

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

Thanks hobo for the offer. Very nice indeed. Usually run up 91 to St J, as its a nice quiet stretch of road once above Springfield.

It is the one off ebay last week. Seller is a junkyard and said if I dont get it friday than its going to the crusher. Truck and trailer ready, but now shitty weather headed this way. I will not trailer down and back in any snow. Seen enough carnage on the roads in just a dusting of snow to know to stay away from the 4 wheel drive hammerheads.

Thinking “Crusher” would be a good name for it if it makes its way back up north.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Just thought of something. You didnt spend hours combing the local CL or classifieds looking for it up your way did you? Shame on you

Just kidding. Would be happy to see someone, anyone get it out of the junkyard.

I think the hang up and loss of interest on it is that fact that theres no title. Another reason I love living in NH is that they could care less about a title for anything over 20 years old. My buddys a cop and ran the vin for me and it came back clear, so all good.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Seller is a junkyard and said if I dont get it friday than its going to the crusher.

For that kind of money, maybe see if the guy will put the $400 on your credit card, and set it aside for a week or so? He'd get his money and then maybe relax a little?

So many parts on that bus. Good luck!

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

Ok, I saw it got relisted but then taken down. I was wondering if you snagged it.

Wonder if he'll really send it to the crusher Friday...
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is this correct interior ‘76 tintop camper Reply with quote

here is “Crusher” all loaded up and headed northbound

and this is moments away from catastrophe on the Garden State Parkway!

caught in time. waiting on a replacement installation now.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: