Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

How is the build going?
Dismantling my engine this weekend Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Pechaa, work has gotten in the way recently. I bought some angle steel to build a tool to hold the crankshaft so I can remove the bolt. Want to try to get that done this weekend. Also just received my custom oil pump bracket.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Do we really need to remove crankshaft-to change positon of crank sensor wheel?
Probably will dismantle my engine tomorrow and find my question somewhat stupid Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

pechaaa wrote:
Do we really need to remove crankshaft-to change positon of crank sensor wheel?
Probably will dismantle my engine tomorrow and find my question somewhat stupid Very Happy

yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush wrote:
Pechaa, work has gotten in the way recently. I bought some angle steel to build a tool to hold the crankshaft so I can remove the bolt. Want to try to get that done this weekend. Also just received my custom oil pump bracket.

Awesome, I was just about to send you a message to see if it arrived.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Attempted to remove crank pulley bolt tonight. Bent the angle steel that I used as brace to hold engine from turning and messed up threads on pulley Shocked .

Last edited by akmush on Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Tried Milwaukie M18 High Torque 1/2 " Impact wrench with no luck as well. Suggestions?!

Thinking of going to local tire shop with socket tomorrow and paying them to put their big air wrench on it. This thing is really torqued on there...
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush wrote:
Tried Milwaukie M18 High Torque 1/2 " Impact wrench with no luck as well. Suggestions?!

Thinking of going to local tire shop with socket tomorrow and paying them to put their big air wrench on it. This thing is really torqued on there...

if the bolt is torqued to factory specs you will need at least a 3 ft long breaker bar and a heavy duty bracket with a long lever to bolt onto the crankshaft gear. Be sure to get a new bolt and torque the crankshaft bolt to factory specs. I have seen those bolts come lose when not torqued correctly! Do not use an extension when removing or tighten that bolt. I have broken extension and sockets ( cheap and expensive tool truck brands) while removing that bolt. It is worse on a diesel.

Not two many impact guns have the power to take off that bolt. The factory tool is not a flimsy angle iron. It looks like a horse shoe with a long handle on it. It is 8 or 10mm thick metal. Do a search and you might find a picture of it. VAS 3415

Last edited by Tvättbjörn on Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:01 am; edited 3 times in total
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

one gear / bolt hole looks damaged. You have to use two 8mm bolts ( 180 degree apart ) and tighten the bolts to 20Nm. Otherwise the thread will get damaged.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

I use a good 3/4” impact gun and socket to remove those bolts. You can take your crank to a local shop and pay them a few bucks to zip that off for you.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Just wondering about all that engine modification to make it work. Would it not be easier to flip the ring gear / diff unit in the transmission or is it not possible due to space? What speaks against it?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
Just wondering about all that engine modification to make it work. Would it not be easier to flip the ring gear / diff unit in the transmission or is it not possible due to space? What speaks against it?

It’s not possible with these transmissions.
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Should have followed your advice from beginning Andrew. Nice tech at local tire shop used his Mac tools 1/2 " air impact and spun it right off. Didn't charge me either. Tear down resumes...
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Getting ready to remove pistons for notching and remove crankshaft in order to fix crank sensor ring. I understand that I will leave pistons attached to connecting rods and know to mark pistons for replacement in correct order.

Looking for any tips about removing rod bolts and dropping pistons. This is new territory for me Shocked

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Keep the caps and rods together as sets and make sure the cap orientation is correct. Paint markers are handy for this.
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

We are at the same point right now.
Dismantled mine this weekend.

I'm also thinking- which bolts I will buy new (as some of them must be strech bolts- use only one time)
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Tear down is finally complete! First I pulled the pistons and rods through -

Then out came main bearings and crankshaft. (#3 came out with crankshaft). There are "shims" on either side of #3 on the crank.

Everything labeled-

Last edited by akmush on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

#1 crank bearing has noticeable scratch. All others look smooth. Andrew you had suggested I reuse. What do you think of this?

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush wrote:
#1 crank bearing has noticeable scratch. All others look smooth. Andrew you had suggested I reuse. What do you think of this?

I'd run it but I'm sure there are many who would disagree with me.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush wrote:
Then out came main bearings and crankshaft. (#3 came out with crankshaft). There are "shims" on either side of #3 on the crank.

Just a point of curiosity, but did you measure crank end play before tear down? Would be worthwhile doing when crank et al is back in.

Could't recall off the top of my head but since a new set of bearings comes with thrust washers ("shims"), I'm certain I replaced mine. But I guess if yours don't look worn or damaged, ok to re use? Personally, I'd replace the crank and rod bearings or at minimum the rod bearings.

You probably have pics of this but in case you don't....

It might seem obvious from an oiling stand point but thrust washer orientation: grooves face outward toward cylinder bores:

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 21

Jump to: