Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush wrote:
If they get in the way with installation I guess I'll have to shorten them

They shouldn't get in the way of anything -- they didn't on mine.

With the crankcase vent, are you putting a smear of oil on the o-ring, or are you going in dry? Going in dry is asking for trouble, but with a little bit of lube in the right place it should all just slip in like it's meant to go in the hole. Wink
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Hey Tristessa! I see I may not be seating the crankcase vent elbow deep enough. I'll give the dab of oil a try.
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

ok, the dab of oil worked! Was just looking up the torque specs on the oil cooler bolts and realized it says "always replace." Seems like overkill since they are only torqued to 11 ft lbs. Can I reuse, what do the 1.8 guru's say?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Reuse them. They’ll be fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate your insight into when replacing with new is unnecessary. Oil cooler back on and torqued.

I was starting to read all about accelerator cables and how to install a new cable for use with the 1.8. Then I realized that I have the "drive by wire" version and that is why I grabbed the big spool of CAT 5 cable that had been discarded at school. Very Happy

I think it's time to move the Passat tranny in from the shed and start conceptualizing the boxster shifter install...
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Next step tranny and shifter linkage Shocked

Each of these BIG steps seems to follow a familiar sequence- an initial "What was I thinking! I don't know what the hell I'm doing..." Then usually hours of reading and looking at pics on the web, and finally a growing sense of what needs to happen. Then I start posting and Andrew will generally clear up my remaining confusion. So here I go...
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

I have transmission code EZG. When you guys are all discussing gear ratios I never know what it all means so now I intend to educate myself. My tranny is listed on the far right-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Little did I know that there is a whole world of guys putting Passat / Audi tranny's in different vehicles as well as coverting tranny's to cable shifters. My plan at this point is to follow Andrew's lead and use the Porsche boxster shifter.
First I had to understand what the shifter is doing at the tranny end when you run through the gears so I set up my donor tranny with the Passat shifter attached. The Passat shifter is linkage is solid tubing like the Vanagon. - Reminder to self, in the Passat the tranny is in the front of the vehicle!

From what I can tell, the arm that is bolted to the side of the tranny is fixed. It is the arms that is connected to the U joint that does the shifting, moving fore and aft and also rotationaly.

akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

The Boxster cable shifter has two cables and the configuration at the tranny shows me that both have an important role in shifting. Naturally when I ordered the shifter and cables off ebay these connecting parts were not included. They appear to be quite spendy from Porsche parts suppliers and knowing Andrew, he fabricated his own set up.

This looks to be the stock Boxster linkage-

Here are the factory parts- $700 from Pelican parts Shocked

And here is the unit from Ultimate Engineering in the UK if I was going to do the flipped tranny conversion-
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

At this point, I'm hoping to see a pic of tristessa's set up on his bay window which uses marine push pull cables.

Andrew, my understanding is that you lengthened your cables. I am assuming you did this at the tranny end? Do you have any pics of your set up?
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Had an "A Hah" moment after posting this morning. I was puzzling over the Boxster tranny picture when it dawned on me- the Boxster tranny sits behind the engine in the rear of the car and that is why the cables run towards the clutch end of the tranny, so my eventual setup will run the cables in the opposite direction Rolling Eyes
This means the with Ultimate Engineering set up (for flipped tranny), the cables must do a 180 deg bend before the run to the front of the van.

(I contend that engine conversions are good for the aging brain as they keep building new synapses...)

Last edited by akmush on Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

I just went looking through my pics and I don't seem to have any on either the house or garage computers that show my shifter setup. Must have been on that failed SD card I mentioned in the PMs. I'll see if I can get some for you.

On the transmission end of things, I blatantly ripped off the Boxster design because why mess with something that works? Getting the lengths of the arms was a little fiddly but not *hard*, and TBH the most difficult thing about it was finding a 14MM shaft collar to fit the selector shaft on the transmission. Even in "big town" PDX Oregon, the oddball metric fasteners and hardware can be a little tricky to find at the retail level.
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

tristessa, am I correct in thinking that you have the cable do a 180 deg bend in order to run to the font of the van?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush wrote:
tristessa, am I correct in thinking that you have the cable do a 180 deg bend in order to run to the font of the van?

Yes. Kind of a big sweeping loop to keep from bending the cable too tightly and breaking it off
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Here's a few pictures of shift linkages...

These are from my red 2wd Westy...

These are from a customers Quattro van

I used to buy that kit you pictured from Porsche, it used to be available for $160 then jumped up to $450 abd now its $700. for that kind of money, it is easy enough to make the parts I need myself. McMaster has all the ball/socket parts and then you just need to make some swivel pieces out of metal. I extend the transmission ends of the Boxter cables. It takes a bit of work to get things sorted but works very well in the end.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics Andrew! Not surprisingly you solved the problem with your own version of the now very expensive porsche linkage setup.

It appears to me that you have avoided the 180 deg cable bend that tristessa describes and used your solid extensions to attach to the linkage. So now the shifter cables are coming from the opposite direction compared to the original design in the Boxster.

With the Flint design your linkage system is built to allow the shifter cables to function as the the mirror opposite of the original design Think Do I have this right?

Last edited by akmush on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

yes
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks to your pics I can now wrap my mind around what the linkage needs to do and feel ready to gather parts and begin fabricating.

Three quick questions for you Andrew-

- It appears you cut off the Boxster cable end and then welded it to the end of the shaft in order to extend it. What does the cable end attach to on the flat steel arm you fabricated? Some kind of ball end?

-Have you needed to periodically lube the ball and socket parts? (there are different options on McMaster-Carr)

- At first I was planning on 1/2" all-thread but now wonder if 3/8" will be more than adequate? (It's not dealing with a ton of load)

Thanks again!
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush wrote:
- At first I was planning on 1/2" all-thread but now wonder if 3/8" will be more than adequate? (It's not dealing with a ton of load)

If it helps any, the threaded ends of my cables are 10-32 thread (3/16") and I did all my sizing on the linkage/ building and shifter mods based around that. I've had no failures or problems because of the size -- I had one cable break but I believe that was an installation/routing error and the cable was looped too tightly -- but I'm also not slam shifting it boy-racer style.

For reference if anyone comes along looking and sees this thread, they're Teleflex CC332XX series cables. 3" travel and an 8" minimum bend radius, mine are 13 feet long because they do a 180deg loop at the transmission end. Better would have been the CCX633XX series because those have a 4" minimum bend, but the local West Marine didn't have them on the shelf and wasn't interested in ordering them for me either. Might upgrade to those later or pick them up to have on-board he Bus as spares.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Also FWIW off of your earlier post, my installed transaxle is a DHW, and I've got an EHV in the garage as a spare that I snagged because the price was right (free). My EHV has the 130MM tripod joint output flanges despite what your Bentley page says it should have. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 21

Jump to: