Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

martinjnc; talent.
3 posts in 17 years, I bet you have a lot more you could share with us.

Some members I just sit back in awe at their abilities.
martijnc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
martinjnc; talent.
3 posts in 17 years, I bet you have a lot more you could share with us.

Some members I just sit back in awe at their abilities.

Yes, ive raced my '65 beetle, now im driving a T3 bluestar hannover edition with dbw 1.8t AEB on Me7.5 loom with WaIC and lots of goodies. Will start my build topic soon, its a list of mods Wink

I have a lot to show, im not the type who keeps all his discoveries to himself Smile

17years, that time in 2003 ive started my restauration and havent posted anything ever since.... will be more active to share my experiences.

Greets from The Netherlands
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for posting martijnc1! I look forward to seeing more photos of your work.

Dealing with some final things with the motor on the stand and then my plan is to mate it up to the tranny. Getting close to pulling the waterboxer! Some questions for the 1.8T gurus-

Crank breather system- This junction used to go to a bleeder valve according to my Bentley. Do I need this or just plug it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by akmush on Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

This is the stock set up for the pressure regulator valve. I noticed on many of andrew's pics he has silicone hose to the turbo intake and places the valve right next to the turbo intake. Fine to leave as is or is bumping into raised engine cover the issue?
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

I believe this is the Turbo cut off valve. Leave or remove?

akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

And here is the original flywheel, clutch plate and pressure plate from the donor. I know I need new stretch bolts for the flywheel. Do I need to do anything else to the flywheel before install? How about a new clutch and pressure plate?

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

That clutch disc is done, get a new one. Maybe, *maybe* look into converting to a single-mass flywheel (solid) instead of the DMF that's there, but I'll defer to those with mo betta experience on that front.

The "turbo cut off valve" is the diverter, and it's definitely needed if you like your turbo. Get a spare and toss in the glovebox or go to a rebuildable billet version -- I had one fail on a camping trip to Vancouver Island, and nobody in Victoria had a replacement on the shelf.

Move the pressure ergulator valve if it interferes with the engine lid, which I'd guess it does if Andrew is relocating them. AEB doesn't have it there, which could explain why it's only moved in some of his pics and not all of them.

You need the bleeder valve. TBH, you want to replicate the factory setup as much as possible aside from easily-done well-documented things that really only relate to emissions, like an SAI delete.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

Shocked Returnless fuel rail from a B6 Audi...? Or is there an AN fitting that goes there that just isn't in the photo?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

This one is a 2004 Audi A4 1.8t engine, AMB code. You're right, it has the returnless fuel rail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
The "turbo cut off valve" is the diverter, and it's definitely needed if you like your turbo. Get a spare and toss in the glovebox or go to a rebuildable billet version -- I had one fail on a camping trip to Vancouver Island, and nobody in Victoria had a replacement on the shelf.

I keep a spare as well, but I have not needed it. I get a "mooing" sound and different valves and airbox has reduced it, but it still happens. I'm thinking of an aluminum one, but I'm not sure it will make difference -the VW forums seem to be focused on making whooshing noises or hi-boost applications.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Quote:
I keep a spare as well, but I have not needed it. I get a "mooing" sound and different valves and airbox has reduced it, but it still happens. I'm thinking of an aluminum one, but I'm not sure it will make difference -the VW forums seem to be focused on making whooshing noises or hi-boost applications.

Have you tried reversing the diverter valve orientation? By that, I mean which end connects to the turbo inlet, and which connects to the turbo boost pipe. I was also getting a weird "honking/mooing" sound with mine. I then discovered I had it orientated backwards. I couldn't recall which way it was installed when I removed it from the donor Passat, so I had a 50/50 chance. After switching the orientation, I no longer have that strange sound. YMMV

2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
I keep a spare as well, but I have not needed it.

Better to have it and not need it than the other way around. Having little boost from a failed-open DV made for a suck-ass drive from Port Angeles, WA (where we got off the ferry from Victoria, BC) to Portland, OR, and the drive home being on a Sunday meant no chance of finding a replacement to install on the way. It was like I was back to driving an air-cooled Bus... Laughing Laughing

I went with the fancy-schmancy aluminum one for future serviceability, because you can find o-rings at pretty much any hardware store.
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

I'm back! Can't believe I haven't posted since March 21, 2021 Rolling Eyes

I'm susceptible to the "If it aint broke keep using it" philosophy. Last summer rolled around and the waterboxer while still slow, was reliable so I postponed. Some van highlights from last summer-

My first muffler welding project-

akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

The van had been running hot for awhile so after checking thermostat I pulled the radiator. The scale confirmed my issue! Old radiator / replacement-

akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

In June I was on the east coast and had a chance to visit with Vanagonjr and test drive the van! What a treat, now I have experienced the 1.8T and the lovely whrrrr of the turbo when it kicks in. Thanks for the test drive! Here I am feasting my eyes on the shifter linkage-

akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Two other projects to share from last summer- In Aug. I found a 1958 21' Chestnut Freighter Canoe. We moosehunt every fall in a sprawling area of wetlands northwest of Fairbanks and freighter canoes are our craft of choice. This beauty is fiberglass covering cedar ribs with an incredible weight capacity. I reinforced the transom, revarnished various parts and constructed seats.

akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

And since COVID cooped me up at home pondering house projects, I decided to learn how to tile Shocked This took up much of my spare time this winter but is finally finished!

akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Now the reversed 1.8t is my primary focus (besides work).

Next steps-
1. Weld stub axles so the Passat tranny will work with my Vanagon CV's.

2. Install clutch and pressure plate and mate the engine and tranny on the floor dolley.

Stay tuned!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 21

Jump to: